Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know it was discussed about a year ago. I am struggling paying the $510 that Toyota wants for a timing belt kit. I have read that AISIN kits are good, but then I had a Yota tech tell me the H2O pumps are from China and to avoid them. I am looking for input here as to who has used the AISIN kit and has had good performance with it. Thanks.

Reactions: rbsj4658

· Registered
534 Posts
I know it was discussed about a year ago. I am struggling paying the $510 that Toyota wants for a timing belt kit. I have read that AISIN kits are good, but then I had a Yota tech tell me the H2O pumps are from China and to avoid them. I am looking for input here as to who has used the AISIN kit and hashad good performance with it. Thanks.
Survey says 99% of the people on this site say Aisin is the ONLY kit to use. Rock Auto has Aisin kit for $153. sans hydraulic tensioner.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Survey says 99% of the people on this site say Aisin is the ONLY kit to use. Rock Auto has Aisin kit for $153. sans hydraulic tensioner.
Perfect. I am going to order the one with the tensioner for $183. Thank you! Saved me $350, but not $350 worse quality. Appreciate it.

· Registered
4 Posts
I know it was discussed about a year ago. I am struggling paying the $510 that Toyota wants for a timing belt kit. I have read that AISIN kits are good, but then I had a Yota tech tell me the H2O pumps are from China and to avoid them. I am looking for input here as to who has used the AISIN kit and has had good performance with it. Thanks.
I put an Aisin kit on my 05 tundra without issue after initially installing a Gates kit which leaked.

· Registered
14 Posts
Consider this: Aisin Seiki is one of 15 members of the Toyota Group, and is about 22%-owned by Toyota Motor Corporation, to which 70% of Aisin's products are sold. Now where do you think the original equipment comes from based on the previous sentence?

· Registered
23 Posts
I just went through all this on my Acura TL a couple months ago. There were a lot of rumors going around that the market had been flooded with counterfeit timing kits being passed off as genuine Honda or even Aisin, especially on Amazon and eBay. I bought one through a seller that had been recommended on one of the forums in the past. I didn't see all the issues with bogus parts until after I had the parts installed on my car. It spooked me enough that I ordered a kit from Rock Auto because I figured they had a reputation to uphold. When their kit got here it was EXACTLY like the one I already had.

So yeah, now I am due for the same service on my Sequoia, and I am going to go ahead and get the Aisin kit from Rock Auto.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Consider this: Aisin Seiki is one of 15 members of the Toyota Group, and is about 22%-owned by Toyota Motor Corporation, to which 70% of Aisin's products are sold. Now where do you think the original equipment comes from based on the previous sentence?
Now this is great info and I suspected something like this. The one mistake I have made since Sequoia ownership....I took it to a dealer to have the timing belt installed. NEVER again. I'll share the story later, but this is why I will do the one on my wife's this weekend myself. Aisin kit should be here today or tomorrow. Thanks for the input!

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just went through all this on my Acura TL a couple months ago. There were a lot of rumors going around that the market had been flooded with counterfeit timing kits being passed off as genuine Honda or even Aisin, especially on Amazon and eBay. I bought one through a seller that had been recommended on one of the forums in the past. I didn't see all the issues with bogus parts until after I had the parts installed on my car. It spooked me enough that I ordered a kit from Rock Auto because I figured they had a reputation to uphold. When their kit got here it was EXACTLY like the one I already had.

So yeah, now I am due for the same service on my Sequoia, and I am going to go ahead and get the Aisin kit from Rock Auto.
Yeah, this bogus part thing going around is an issue. I have seen it with Ford parts, but I don't yet know enough about Toyota parts to tell the difference. The timing kits on Ebay had one glaring difference in the photo on "genuine" Toyota parts. The water pump was shiny. I noticed the one in a Toyota or Aisin kit is a duller finish. The pump in the Ebay kits I saw look like they had been polished. They were 350-375 respectively. The Rock Auto is 183 + shipping. It was no brainer after getting some reassurance here that the engine wouldn't implode with an Aisin kit on it LOL .....

· Registered
724 Posts
We are quick to blame the parts when if you are not meticulous with the install of these kits you may create a weak link in the system. I read somewhere that "Sometimes the problem is the loose nut behind the wrench." I confess, I have been that nut... Bag & tag bolts, review instructions and double check each step along the way.
I installed a Gates kit from Rock Auto 35K ago with no problems. Guess I got lucky. As always, enjoying the adventure... Chap

· Registered
199 Posts
Even Rock Auto isn't immune to this. I bought a Timken wheel bearing for another vehicle from Rock Auto and the package I received had been opened with greasy fingers and the bearing inside was not a Timken bearing which have specific markings. Don't know if this was customer returns fraud or fraud from their supplier. But the problem with counterfeit bearings is big especially in the machine tool world where the precision of the bearings is way more important than automotive and the bearings cost many times more. Got nowhere with Rock Auto replacing the fake bearing too..... Their customer service even tried to convince me they open the packages to perform quality checks. I still shop there but I'm not that confidant that they're any different than your average parts store.

· Registered
1,337 Posts
Keep in mind that there are two types of Water Pumps for my 2002 Tundra V8. One is made in Japan and the other made in USA. The Japan one costs way more and has a polished finish. I almost ordered the Japan model for cool factor, but instead ordered via Aisin on Big Gurrl (Ammzon) for half the price. So far so good after 2+ years and 10k miles.

I’ve also ordered just about every important electronic direct sourced part for my truck from Big Gurrll (aka Ammzon). See Heathers Reviews over there. She doesn’t make any money but likes helping people.

1) 8 Denso Ignition Coils
2) MAF Sensor by Hitachi
3) Denso O2 Sensors (all 4)

Order direct from the manufacturers store and not from Funshui Xi Parts and Such Store. If the price is too good there is a problem. Read the description. If it sounds like its Chinese interpretation, then pass as well. I think many fall into a paranoia trap an the internet is a resonation board for lackey mechanical people. If you are highly doubtful, then order through your Local Online Toyota Parts Programme. They have the best prices on just about everything, except the Timing Belt and Electronics (see 1-3 above).

Spark Plugs are best bought at Auto Zoned or Onoreiliys. Best $ deal there and its quality checked.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts