Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read on here that the alarm on our trucks (if not activated by the factory) can be activated by the dealership. Well I took my truck in for the pedal 'fix' last weekend and asked if they could activate it. They said it couldn't be done if it wasn't done from the factory. I explained that I read on a forum that it can be so they said they would give it a try. About 20 minutes later a service rep came to me and said that they spent 15 minutes with their computer hooked to my truck and couldn't find any alarm to 'activate'. Then he brought me a copy of my build/spec sheet and said there is no mention of an alarm.

My truck is a 2010 Tundra grade double cab. 4x4, 5.7, cold weather package, tow package, and has keyless entry. Was the dealer blowing smoke or do I really not have an alarm on my truck?

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I saved the PDF from that thread and I will be sending it to my dealer!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Dealer is blowing smoke if you have the keyless entry...I can attest, it happened to me as well. I went to another dealer armed with the techstream directions and they were hesitant to believe it, but at least would give it a try (unlike the dealership where I actually bought the truck). It cost $50...but lo and behold, 20 mins. later the service rep. came out, said it worked, and apologized for my original dealership acting like Class A ***-hats.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Have them follow the step by step instructions, beginning on page 10, Fig. 6-1. Ends on page 12.

http://www.trdsparks.com/install/08586-0C890inst.pdf

The Glass Break sensor and hood latch switch are not required for this to work. You can test it by sitting in the vehicle, locking the doors with the remote, wait about 1 minute until the system arms, then open the door. The horn should sound and the headlghts flash.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have read on here that the alarm on our trucks (if not activated by the factory) can be activated by the dealership. Well I took my truck in for the pedal 'fix' last weekend and asked if they could activate it. They said it couldn't be done if it wasn't done from the factory. I explained that I read on a forum that it can be so they said they would give it a try. About 20 minutes later a service rep came to me and said that they spent 15 minutes with their computer hooked to my truck and couldn't find any alarm to 'activate'. Then he brought me a copy of my build/spec sheet and said there is no mention of an alarm.

My truck is a 2010 Tundra grade double cab. 4x4, 5.7, cold weather package, tow package, and has keyless entry. Was the dealer blowing smoke or do I really not have an alarm on my truck?
If you are in Portland go to Gladstone Toyota and ask them to do it. That is where I took mine and had it turned on. Print out the Techstream instructions if needed. The tech that did mine knew how to do it before I arrived. No charge either your experience may vary.

Steve W

·
Registered
274 Posts
the dealer i bought my 07 and 10 tundra from told me it cant be done as well. haven't had time to take it anywhere else but yeah there are lazy axx dealers out there.

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
^^^ yep yep yep All good info here.. IT can be Done - mine was, No GBS yet, but soon. Gotta print out the instructions to give to the monkeys.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Dude, just get a Viper 5900 alarm installed... it is 2-way so you know what's going on, it has a display on the remote, and if you get the remote-start feature, you can start it from a mile away. Great for winters to warm it up or in summer to cool it down...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just went out and checked to see if mine is activated. It went off like it's supposed to when I opened the door form the inside. I do have a dealer installed security device "KARR" ( shuts off fuel and cuts off ignition) which has it's own blinking light. I wonder if they had to activate my alarm to add this? If so all I would need to do is add the glass sensor. Anyone know of this alarm?

Edit: My alarm was on the window sticker from Toyota @ $200.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I think if you went with directions in hand, your outcome would have been different.
you would think. but then again with all the bs pr that toyota got from erroneous claims i would think that "the customer is always right". i took two different print outs in with me and was told that i had to have the toyota add on alarm for this to be "on". the kicker, the service manager told me this. didn't look it up, just preceded to tell me round about im an idot.

some service depts = lazy beyotches

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
you would think. but then again with all the bs pr that toyota got from erroneous claims i would think that "the customer is always right". i took two different print outs in with me and was told that i had to have the toyota add on alarm for this to be "on". the kicker, the service manager told me this. didn't look it up, just preceded to tell me round about im an idot.

I see two ways of the dealer saying no. One is we don't want to do it. The other is we don't know how to do it. One we can't do anything about, the other we can hand over the directions:)

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
It's frustrating that this topic keeps coming up. You would think on a high priced truck like the Tundra the basic alarm would come activated from the factory. All 5.7's with the keyless entry have the alarm installed..it just requires a software change to make it work. Why does Toyota think that it should be turned off by default when the truck is delivered?

I had mine activated thanks to the info on this Forum. I went to my dealer with the instructions in hand and yet it turned into a royal argument. The Service Manager said there is no alarm and it won't work. I said yes it will. For almost 10 minutes it turned into: No it Won't, Yes it Will. I ended up making what was a $90.00 bet. If it didn't work I would pay the $90.00 fee for hooking up the TechStream...if it did work there would be no charge. I got it activated and didn't pay a Nickel. The Service Manager, who also owned a Tundra, then went and got his personal truck and had his activated as well...for free!

·
Registered
561 Posts

That's ok...I had a service rep. tell me I didn't know what I was talking about and "I'm sorry, sir, but your vehicle does not come with ANY alarm system on it." This all happening in front of a waiting room with 5 or 6 customers in it. He then abruptly walked away from me while I was still talking to him. I had the alarm turned on by another dealership the next day. When my next oil change occurs, you can bet "Mario" is going to see just how well the alarm system that came with my truck, actually works.

·
Registered
274 Posts
That's ok...I had a service rep. tell me I didn't know what I was talking about and "I'm sorry, sir, but your vehicle does not come with ANY alarm system on it." ......QUOTE]

see this is the same shi* i ran into. papers in hand, pointing at the techstream cart saying "plug that into that" don't know how else i could have dumbed it down. stupid, lazy whatever the case is i will just take the damn thing from dealer to dealer until i find someone that knows their axx from a hole in the ground.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Do what I did...make him a friendly bet. If it doesn't work you will pay for hooking up the TechStream, if it does work you get it free.

·
Registered
561 Posts
That's ok...I had a service rep. tell me I didn't know what I was talking about and "I'm sorry, sir, but your vehicle does not come with ANY alarm system on it." ......QUOTE]

see this is the same shi* i ran into. papers in hand, pointing at the techstream cart saying "plug that into that" don't know how else i could have dumbed it down. stupid, lazy whatever the case is i will just take the damn thing from dealer to dealer until i find someone that knows their axx from a hole in the ground.
Your best bet is to call a couple of dealerships in your area...explain the situation on the phone and say that you will be willing to pay a small fee to AT LEAST hook up the techstream and try it. At least one dealership should bite...once it works, talk to them about tossing the fee. The second dealership couldn't have been more helpful...and even apologized for the place where I bought the truck. Call around...someone will help you out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I brought my truck back to the dealer to have the Line-X installed. Asked how much to activate the alarm. Was told I have to buy am alarm, my truck doesn't have one. I asked him to give me a quote when I picked up the truck.
That afternoon he told me they did activate it. He didn't know it was there, but the tech did.

no charge

Now it does work. Just have to add the glass sensor, now.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts