Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone having the problem of the outside edge of the front tires wearing off very fast?

Once my truck hit 25k the front tires outside edges just burn off very quickly.

I would think this is an alignment issue, I have had this truck aligned 6 times since.

Now I know that some alignments are not as good as others, the last place I took it has the best reputation for alignments, this guy really cares about doing them and its all he does and always has the best equipment and talking to basically hundreds of people over the years say yeah you want it right he will make it right and stands behind his work.

Now saying that every alignment I have had no matter where the tires do the exact same thing no matter where I take it.

I have tried different brands of tires as well, same exact problems, outside tire wear (front only).

I mean the edge will be bald and the rest of the tire would look like I could get maybe 15,000 miles or more out of them (both front tires eaxact same issue, no different from side to side, same wear).

I have the 255/70/18 size tires on my truck and thats what it came with from the factory.

The last guy told me that he has never seen a vehicle with 60k on it that had zero movement in any of the front end joints etc, he was impressed by this.

I am just wondering do any of you that have the 255/70/18's have any alternate alignments spec's or have run into this problem?

Perhaps Toyota's specs on the 255's arent quite right?

The wear on my tires is when looking at side of tire on the outside the front edge of the tread blocks is a little lower than the rear of each tread block on the outside only, basically if I run my hand over the edge in a clockwise motion its smooth feeling, run it counterclockwise I can feel that the edges are grabing my hand, but again only on the outside front tires edges.

·
Registered
787 Posts
It may very well be an optical illusion, but I always thought that my Tundra had a slightly positive camber. I looked at other Tundras and it looks the same.
I Had it aligned because one side was toed out a bit and when I got it back, it still appeared to have a positive camber.
I'm assuming that it's just how it needs to be set up. By nature, the edges of the front tires will always wear faster, from all the stress of turning under weight. It's a heavy truck and I'm sure the front tires roll over much more than the rears when in turns, at speed.
That's why it's healthy to rotate regularly.
Can you post pics, so we can see if it seems like anything out of the norm?

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Rotation is key on these big trucks. Heavy 4wds and Toyotas aren't good on tires.

With a lift kit of 3", camber set at just over 0*, I still have a little bit of cupping (what you're describing) and uneven wear.

However, with proper rotation, it won't affect my tire life by any means.

-rockstate

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 4hi light keeps blinking after i disengage it. I have tried everything in the manual, it seems to be a temperature thing because it dosn't flash until it gets warm and stops flashing when it cools off. Please help it's driving me crazy.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well a photo right now would be hard to see whats going on, these tires only have 800 miles on them and they are cupping, I realize the trucks are heavy but at this rate outside edge will show cords at prolly 10,000 miles, thats what I mean if I keep the tires on without rotating I would only get maybe 10,000 miles out of past tires.

I do rotate but at this rate I am going to have to rotate every 1,000 miles, that can't be right, these are already showing cupping and I can feel them buzzing slightly already.

The tires that it came with wore perfectly even up until my truck had 25,000 miles on it, no edge burning off and not a sign of anything like that, thats why its such a big deal too me cause I know it doesnt have to be like that on this truck cause it didn't happen for the first 25K miles.

So it can't be as simple as a rotation, I am the only one that drives it and I drive it the same as I did the first 25,000 miles, hell I even put the same exact size and model tires on it that i got the even wear on up until 25,000 miles on the first set .... first set of Michelin LTX went about 32,000 miles, though the edges were coming off pretty fast after 25,000 but they were not that great of tread by then anyway.

Second set of michelins were junk at 20,000 miles not the middle or inside edge, great tread there, outside edges GONE! I mean metal hanging out! .... the first set of tread blocks on the outter edges so like 2 inches of the tread width.

Now these tires are doing the same thing at about 800 miles, this is the same exact thing that sent me on an alignment spree for my last set of Michelins, the guy that had aligned it several times in a 6 month period told me ummm yeah rotate and you can maybe get 15k out of your tires (he thought that was really good for truck tires), lol yeah at $220.00 a tire that seems pretty crazy too me ... this was a Toyota dealer and they dont sell tires, so its not like they were trying to get me to buy them more often.

Michelin LTX are really a highway truck tire, very summer like tread, higher mileage tires I expect to get 30 to 35k out of a 60,000 mile rated tire I dont think I am being unreasonable.

The new tires are not Michelins but exact same wear is happening as the second set of the michelins, so it can't be the tires.

Maybe its some sort of front differential defect ? perhaps the tires are not realeasing around corners correctly? like when you put it in 4 wheel drive? maybe its slightly engaged?

·
Registered
374 Posts
I noticed the shoulders on my rear tires wearing rapidly (outside edges), especially the passenger side tire. I was worried that I had a bent axle or something since there is no alignment adjustments on a solid axle. I rotate about every 5-6K miles and just noticed this issue within the last 5K miles. These are the oem Rugged Trails with 28K miles. Dealership checked front alignment and it was pretty much in spec. Mechanic said that shoulder wear on tires is common on these trucks, especially on the oem Rugged Trails which are junk.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm having the same problem as the original poster. About 25k the truck started wearing funny on the oustide edge. I am on my third set of tires at 40k and the front tires on the outside start to chop at 2500 miles. I have had aligned multiple times and the dealer doesn't know whats causing it. I recently noticed that the upper ball joints seem to have grease/grime around them. The dealer looked at them and said they are okay and that its road grime. Now if it was road grime I would expect it every where and not just around the ball joint. I mean these things aren't greasable so if grease is getting out thats a problem.

Is anyone having similar issues?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a 2010 dc and I have the same issue with front tires. I noticed it first at 5000 miles but did not pay much atention. Now my truck has 29000 and the wear on the edges is more noticeble. I'm gonna have the dealer check it out this coming week. :confused:
Btw, my friend has a 2008 cm with the same issue, the only difference being is that his is a lot more severe (front and rear tires) at 30000 :eek:

·
Registered
787 Posts
Are all you guys with this problem, running stock suspension and stock wheels(wheel size) with recommended tire sizes and pressures?
I noticed my alignment was off and had it aligned within the first few miles of ownership.
Did a cross-country trip in the first month(5000 mi) on the stock tires and then put another 1500 on them and bought a set of AT3s. The stockers were in such good shape, the guy I got the AT3s from, actually paid me for them.
Have almost 5000 mi on the AT3s now and they still look new.
But, I've been religious about rotation and pressures and I have a stock suspension and only run 255/70/18 or 265/70/18.
I also don't drive it like it's Porsche in the corners. (although, it does hold it's own, for a truck;) )

·
Registered
398 Posts
Like Dogstate and RRzxter pointed out...you guys didn't lift/level your trucks and use the factory alignment specs did you?

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
could be control arm bushings, or tie rods. probably not wheel bearings, or tire pressure if its the outside only but check those too.
also try slowing down around the corners.:becky:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Like previously stated, when you lift or level your truck you can't align the truck to factory specs. I have a 3" leveling kit and when i have my truck aligned i make sure to specify that they square the tire up as much as possible. This will remove most of the positive camber that is causing problems. My truck still has a slight positive camber, but not enough to cause tire wear if i rotate regularly. Bring your truck to an alignment shop that deals with lifted trucks and explain the problem and the should be able to correct it. My dealer did it for me, all i had to do was ask, but if you dont specify otherwise they will align it to factory specs. Also, you can have a tire shop dismount your tires, flip them and remount as long as you dont let the wear on the outside edge get too bad. This will cost ~$150 dollars, but thats alot cheaper than a new set of tires and will get you another 20k miles out of them if it really is just outside edge wear.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Our trucks are stock, still with factory tires and rims. If I'm not mistaken I have 265/70/18.
Sometimes I like cornering fast tough :devil:... Another thing is that when I flat/ straight surface, the steering wheel seems as straight as an arrow and the truck does not pull to the sides side; on the freeway tough, the it stays at about 10 degrees to the left. As far as I remember, I don't think this happened before :angrywife:. I just gonna have it check tomorrow just to make sure.

·
Registered
787 Posts
on the freeway, the it stays at about 10 degrees to the left.
Sounds like the toe needs to be adjusted. That's what was wrong with mine from the factory.
One front wheel was slightly toed out and I had to hold the steering wheel slightly off-center to drive straight.
It doesn't take much. But that little bit will chew through tires in no time. I think mine was off by 1/4", if that.
Most folks wouldn't pick that up by eye.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mine are stock styled steel wheels 18" 255/70/18 tires as it came with from the factory, though im on my 3rd set of tires and just over 60k miles .... no lift all factory .. 2 sets of michelins ltx, now im on kelly's same exact wear no matter the brand of tire

Aligned 10 times, 3 different places, basically fairly sick of doing this, after 20k miles everything went to hell

My tires wear outside edge, the back of the tread blocks wear down faster than the front, just like this guys pictures show, mine is basically front only, have tried different tire pressures as well.

For instance when I just put my new set of tires on with a fresh alignment, the back side of each tread block 1mm different after 1,000 miles ... 12mm front side of each tread block 11mm rear edge of each tread block.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/223591-tire-wear/

·
Registered
787 Posts
That sucks.
And that's a strange problem, with the back edge wearing before the front.
Definitely beyond anything I've experience.
Not that I can offer any help on the issue, but after 10 alignments, it sounds like the truck still hasn't been looked at/worked on by a mechanic that actually knows what the problem is and how to fix it.
Sounds like they are just aligning it and hoping it works,....."this time".

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2010 tundra 5.7v8 4x4 with 42k miles i have complained to the dealer something isnt right
They checked alignment twice and said it good he also said the
Wear on outer edges is normal because of the way tires are rotated
As per toyota front to back and back to front and the way the front tires
Turn i think if the tires were crossed when rotated that would fix the problem if done early enough

·
Registered
201 Posts
I had the same problem at 25,000 miles. The outside edge wore out and I kept driving it until I could see the cord. Then I looked closely and the inside edge was almost worn out also. It was just a little slower to show. This led me to think it is probably because of tire pressure. The 30 PSI that it calls for seems awful low for such a large heavy vehicle. I raised the PSI to 38. I think this will help with tire wear and the ride is much better(firmer, not like a car).

After talking to the dealer service rep I was told that all the OEM tires on the Tundras wear very fast.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had the same issue. I believe the issue is caused by our trucks and their turning. If you notice the tires turn on their side basically when we turn. I think this creates the unusual outter wear of the tires. I gotten a new set of tires for toyota at around 25k. I am at 60k and had been getting an alignment every year and my tires still have the same issue. Its annoying to say the least. Btw, I need new tires soon lol.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts