Toyota Tundra Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Have a 2010 2WD TRD. 40,000+ miles with a 2.5 inch lift on the front. Rugged Trails are just now starting to show a little wear on the edges. Sounds like ya'll are cornering to fast or not rotating enough. I would bet the main problem is low air pressure. I run just shy of 42lbs front and 38lbs rear. Also once they start wearing they will keep wearing.

D.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I a, running 275/70 r18 stock suspension and just had them balanced and aligned since they larger than stock but I have noticed that after about 3000 miles on them the front tires are starting to show some wear on the outside edges as well. Like noted before I would stay on top of rotating your tires every time you change your oil.

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
Just had tire rotation and alignment done before Thanksgiving trip at local Toyota dealer. They did not adjust the toe in camber or whatever that is specifically called and wore my half used up Falcon Ziex tires on the inside edge almost down to the wires on one and through the tread on the other after an 800mi trip up north. Luckily Discount Tire gave me a little credit and Toyota made up for the rest and refunded my alignment. Make sure you ask them to CAREFULLY check ALL alignment points. Your truck should be running almost perfectly smooth when they are done. If not, recheck and don't burn a couple of tires.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been having the same issue with my truck. I replaced the OEM bridgestones at 27K(they had plenty of life left) and installed Nokian Rotiiva tires and have issues from day one. I had an alignment at install, 5k miles and 10k later, twice with dealer and once at a shop with new equipment. I am having vibration issues, I think due to the condition of the tires. I contacted Nokian several months ago and they said this was an alignment issue. Take a look at the pictures, I am losing some of the tread blocks and not others. Any thoughts on why I am losing only certain treads? The dealer does not have any suggestions.... Thanks in advance
P1040236.jpg P1040248.jpg

·
Registered
422 Posts
Try adjusting your tire pressures higher than what the door says. Without pictures, I can't tell for sure the concerns, but what I've seen very regularly is low tire pressure causing this. Try having them up around 38 cold psi, I've seen it makes a drastic difference and wears them very evenly.

And yes, I know typically low tire pressure will result in both inside and outside edges, but this is what I've found.

·
Registered
22 Posts
This is just great.:mad: 1st rusty breaks & now alignment issues. I just noticed rounded sides yesterday with about 27,000 miles on them. I'll never put a good tire like a Michelin on.

Bah humbug.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I don't keep vehicles for a long period of time, and I am on my 4th Gen 2 Tundra currently. I have noticed that all of them wear the outside edge of the front tires. I have had alignments done by Toyota, as well as independent shops, with little noticable improvement. The Toyota dealer tells me that "this is just the way the Tundra is", or "I am cornering too fast". I first notice it as a feathering on the outside edges. I rotate the tires every 5k miles, and this helps somewhat. I had 35k miles on my 08 DC when I traded it, and the stock Michelin's were still in pretty good shape due to the tire rotations. It sounds like for some of you, the problem is even worse than what I have experienced.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Would need to see the alignment print out to see if there is a combination of problems. But it sounds like your tires are toe in too much. Possible too much positive camber as well. But most likely just toe in is the issue. Alignment guy might just be going by the computer spec instead of actually thinking about whats going on. Toe in will give better road manners and it may be that toyota has the spec a bit too far in to help with good handling characteristics.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had the exact same issue of the front tires wearing out quickly on the outer edge. Rest of the tire is like new. Been through two sets now. All alignments and rotations were done. Stock truck/tires. This is a factory issue. Toyota probably knows the issue well, but doesn't care, just get the vehicle sold and your problem. Sick of this crap.

·
Registered
1 Posts
my 2017 Tundra has 22000 and the outside edges are worn badly. rotated every 5000. also just started noticing a lot of vibration in steering wheel, especially if applying any brake.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2017 Platinum has 11,000 miles on it. All 4 tires are worn on the edges.
Factory Bridgestone Alenza tires, no lift or modifications.
I brought the truck to the first Toyota dealership. They checked the alignment, and was told that the L/F toe was out but "there is no problem" huh??
They could not explain the wear on the tire, other than it was a tire issue, not an alignment issue.
I then contacted Toyota corporate. I was told that a dealership must open a case, and then I could speak to the DSM.
After taking the truck to the 2nd dealer the following week, I was told that my alignment was out. Huh again??
I requested to speak to the DSM about the situation. I was told that the DSM would not speak to me, and the matter was closed.
I then took the truck to an authorized Bridgestone dealer, and of course was told that it was a vehicle problem, not a tire problem.
Finally, an independent tire store told me that the Bridgestone Alenza has a weak sidewall, and not designed for the weight of the Tundra. It should have the Alenza Plus from the factory. I also discovered that the new Tundra Platinums all come with 4 Bridgestones, and a MICHELIN spare???
At this point, I am considering pursuing a class action lawsuit. Does anyone else have a similar story on a late model Platinum or 1794?

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well a photo right now would be hard to see whats going on, these tires only have 800 miles on them and they are cupping, I realize the trucks are heavy but at this rate outside edge will show cords at prolly 10,000 miles, thats what I mean if I keep the tires on without rotating I would only get maybe 10,000 miles out of past tires.

I do rotate but at this rate I am going to have to rotate every 1,000 miles, that can't be right, these are already showing cupping and I can feel them buzzing slightly already.

The tires that it came with wore perfectly even up until my truck had 25,000 miles on it, no edge burning off and not a sign of anything like that, thats why its such a big deal too me cause I know it doesnt have to be like that on this truck cause it didn't happen for the first 25K miles.

So it can't be as simple as a rotation, I am the only one that drives it and I drive it the same as I did the first 25,000 miles, hell I even put the same exact size and model tires on it that i got the even wear on up until 25,000 miles on the first set .... first set of Michelin LTX went about 32,000 miles, though the edges were coming off pretty fast after 25,000 but they were not that great of tread by then anyway.

Second set of michelins were junk at 20,000 miles not the middle or inside edge, great tread there, outside edges GONE! I mean metal hanging out! .... the first set of tread blocks on the outter edges so like 2 inches of the tread width.

Now these tires are doing the same thing at about 800 miles, this is the same exact thing that sent me on an alignment spree for my last set of Michelins, the guy that had aligned it several times in a 6 month period told me ummm yeah rotate and you can maybe get 15k out of your tires (he thought that was really good for truck tires), lol yeah at $220.00 a tire that seems pretty crazy too me ... this was a Toyota dealer and they dont sell tires, so its not like they were trying to get me to buy them more often.

Michelin LTX are really a highway truck tire, very summer like tread, higher mileage tires I expect to get 30 to 35k out of a 60,000 mile rated tire I dont think I am being unreasonable.

The new tires are not Michelins but exact same wear is happening as the second set of the michelins, so it can't be the tires.

Maybe its some sort of front differential defect ? perhaps the tires are not realeasing around corners correctly? like when you put it in 4 wheel drive? maybe its slightly engaged?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Stop buying tires at Sams Club and other discount tire places. I had the same problem with my Toyota 2014 Tundra. Goodyear tires from sams lasted 8000 miles and wouldn't pass inspection. Outer portion of the tires were worn off. I personally think they sell a cheaper grade tire.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I do rotate but at this rate I am going to have to rotate every 1,000 miles, that can't be right, these are already showing cupping and I can feel them buzzing slightly already.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts