Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I figured I would snap a couple quick pics with my bike and truck since both are rarely clean at the same time!

About the truck...
Nothing special, 07 crewmax, daily driven with 35,000 miles and probably pampered more than most. I decided with the normal little key scrapes and hazing that a good cleaning, some 205, and some wax would do it some good.

The bike...
04 vtx, (will do until I can get the streetglide of my dreams!) with about 16,000 miles. Granted it has been about 4 years since I got the bike but here is a little background so you can see where it came from. The paint was absolutely trashed! Every bit of paint on the bike looked like it was washed with dawn and sand then dried with cheap paper towels. All of the aluminum was pitted, the tires were bald and dry rotted and chrome was non-existant.

I picked it up for 4,800, completly stripped it down, wet sanded the paint, compounded, sealed, and waxed it. Wet sanded all the aluminum with progressively finer grits then polished. The motor fins were sanded down, polished, then taped off individually, and the motor was painted black and the tape was removed. The carb and intake also got the same treatment. Put on a new set of Metzeler rubber, drained and replaced all fluids with fresh, removed the pair valves (essentially a de-smog), and polished or painted a few odd and end pieces. Next was the intake, cobra drags, stage two jets just to pep it up. Then it was all back together.

I know it sounds like an overnight process but trust me this was not the case. Since it has been back together I add little bits of chrome here and there when I can but I think it has come a long way from what it was. All in all I probably only have about $6,000 in this bike including cost of the bike, the initial "overhaul", rubber, and accessories.

Thank you guys for letting me show my toys. I hope maybe I have inspired some to go out and take on little projects like this. It is very rewarding and you learn alot along the way.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
Both look killer dude!

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Damn that blue really comes alive when it's clean. I am crossed between the Salsa Red and this Blue. Still love my Super White though.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks brandon, the advice you gave me a while back on compounds and sealants really helped out.

I considered salsa red...I always wanted a red vehicle but to me it just looked faded out, not the bright red I was after. I am very happy with my choice.

Thanks for the compliments TH...Up for an even trade???

For those who are interested, I have ordered a product that I have not seen used on here yet. I am sure some have heard of it, maybe used it. But I will post another thread after I get it and try it out...It is used for dull faded out exterior plastics, just a hint for now.:D

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks very nice. :)

What's the mystery product? Black Wow?
nope. heard about it, saw it, used it, didnt like it.

I am hoping it will be here today, maybe if it does I will get a chance to use it and post some pics...the s10 is going to be the guinea pig!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts