Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone is getting so worked up over putting the new 5.7 in the older body style trucks. Don't get me worng that is completely freakin sweet. But what about a diesel mod? They use trhem in the toyota hylux, 4 runners and Tacomas in Japan and overseas. Much more power and torque. Don't know if it is a dumb idea or not but I think that would be the more efficiant and if your wanting power and torque that's an even better engine to have. I think at least, what do yall think about it?

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi , your also right.
it's just so cool that someone did it. big prop's for the 5.7 in a gen1!!!!!!!!!!!

now, i'd love to see a big D go into a gen1.
try it out. we would be watching your build as well.
good luck,i'd be pulling for you,GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
gorilla

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
My guess would be emissions. The 5.7 if done right, should pass emissions check. The Hilux isn't sold in the US period because of emissions.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm sure you can get the emissions to match up with state law. And as painfully as it makes me feel to say this, how about running either the dodge, chevy, or even ford setup? I dont think it's completly impossible to get done properly.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
My guess would be emissions. The 5.7 if done right, should pass emissions check. The Hilux isn't sold in the US period because of emissions.
If you lived in a cool state like Florida, you wouldnt have to worry about emissions :D

I have tossed around the idea of both a Cummins 4BT and a 6BT 12 Valve. The 4BT would be easier because of its size, but I would rather have the 6BT. Both would be easy to wire up and get running and driving, just making room for them and what not would be another story.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Do it!

While I would not give my left nut or anything for a Toyota diesel, their engines are great. I'd love to get one of their modern turbo diesels in my 1st-gen.

not only was that was so funny,& the same time it would be great idea.:first::angel:
points given:becky:
gorilla

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
If you lived in a cool state like Florida, you wouldnt have to worry about emissions :D

I have tossed around the idea of both a Cummins 4BT and a 6BT 12 Valve. The 4BT would be easier because of its size, but I would rather have the 6BT. Both would be easy to wire up and get running and driving, just making room for them and what not would be another story.

big prop's for florida state to drop the emissions. due to the state stealing the money. so to make it all go away & not have the people ask to many questions about the money. they closed all shops, & stopped making people do it year after year. there excuse was 99+% passed anyway.
yet we have vehicles that pass. we all down here buy newer cars. not like other states that have clunker's!
;-):first::angel:
gorilla
p.s. points given apimpdad :becky:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well lucky for me I am joinging the military and trying to get my first duty station in Tampa. I think for shits and giggles when I get the money I am gonna do it and see how it works. I know that Toyota has a CAT4 diesel ready for the new Tundras but having one in ours would just be completly insane and awsome. Can't wait to give it a wirl and see the out come. I am sure it will be more than satisfing.

·
Premium Member
2,829 Posts
I've looked at diesel option. What I've found, is 2004+ Isuzu NPR 4.8L is close fit. If I would do diesel conversion, I would only go with Isuzu motor.

·
Registered
366 Posts
the day i got my truck from the shop a guy was doing a diesel swap on a 1500 chev. i have been drooling over the idea sense.... my dream is to get a dodge 2500 Cummings power wagon w/ off-road package. twin turbo..... and try and just switch the body over that way have a solid up front and a real back axle as well.... i havnt done any research at all so no clue if its even remotely possible but again is a dream....

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, no matter which way you go in our gen1, it would be a great idea. but 1 member said, if you god for bid, wrecked it. all that research, time, and money went out the door. you would have to insure it for show's. which would allow you to get a much higher amount if wrecked. also it will cost you alot more to insure.

my ins. is through the roof. if your ins company knew what many of you have done to your tundra's, etc. modifing. lift's, eng, susp., etc it would go up so high, you would have wished you never told them.
info, never tell them you did any mod's. otherwise you will double your ins.

i'm sure there is a ins. member here. let us in on what it's all about?
we sure would appreciate it.
what to say, & what not to say.
gorilla

·
Registered
233 Posts
hey , i have had the same ideas for years , the 12v 4bt would fit perfectly and you would b able to get alot of power out of there but the sickest set up would have to b the 12 or 24 valve 6bt massive power gains and could any of us amagin having over 650 hp with 1100 lbs in our trucks ?? all that power get the heavy one tons in the 12's and 11's im sure ours would get in to the tens easy but still alota work to do to get it to fit. reinforce and box the front of the frame, new custom cross member , and i highly doubt our front sus could handle all so gettin the drive train from a power wagon would b great idea or even a 3500 drive train plus theres an adapter plate to match up the allison tranny to the cummins which is an amazing !!!

or hey may be do it up to a dc and extend the frame to accommodate a 8ft bed and make the frist dc 8'ft dually ??????? i been thinkin bout that alot adding an 8'ft bed to a dc and having funn , they do it to the mega cabs from dodge y not ours???

awsome idea and im sure one of us will do it me personality it would b a blast and would shock the **** outta dodge guys eveywhere seeing and hearing a tundra wit the diesel knock stacks and that would go where they cant mahahahaha just a sexy idea!!!!!!!!!!

just my .02 :first:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts