Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2002 SR5 Sequoia
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched high and low to see if anyone has tried this. May be an indicator of my search skills if its out there. In that case - my apologies.

Found a set of these on CL a month ago - w/ OEM Tires. Hesitated. Could not find info confirming fitment. Called the local Dealership - Service/Parts - and got the nod... famous last words.

Jumped on them - sellers was getting offers for more $ but honored his original price @ $250 for the set w/ tires. I had to!
Idea being to keep the original OEM 16" w/ the set of studless Blizzaks as is - and just swap out every winter. And sell the original 16" all seasons I have. Replace the 17" tires next summer - ride these for the year.

Eventually found the wheel specs for original 16"s and the 17"s. OEM 16"s have a 15mm offset, while the 17" have a 30mm offset. Meaning - these wheels will sit 15mm closer inside. At the same time - the 17" wheels might be a little wider as well - just by observation.

Anywho - got the front wheels on- and... DAMN are they close to the suspension. The tires of the 17" wheels are crazy close to the upper part of the suspension. However - took it for a ride before we put on the rears and no rubbing that I could find. Fingers crossed on to the back. Install the rear. Go for a drive and... clunk clunk - clunk clunk... DAG. Not so lucky.

The lower shock/support is so close to the rim of the wheel its insane. And on the drivers rear - there is a weight that is clipping the lower shock/support. Ended up file it down a bit to stop contact. However - on right turn entrance ramps it still makes contact.

So- I'm looking at spacers to solve my problem. Sadly. The proximity of the tires/wheels to the suspension all around just doesn't sound safe in the long run. After some research and talking to the local tire shop - I'm going to put on some 1.25" billet spacers all around.

Will report back once I get those in and on.

See pics of original 16" wheels and the 17" TRD Sports. OEM Suspension. No modifications.

Thoughts - Comments? Bad idea?

0428201933a~2.jpg
0421201201~2.jpg

·
Registered
2005 Toyota Sequoia Limited
39 Posts
If your question is should you run spacers with those wheels, then yes you should.

·
Registered
2002 SR5 Sequoia
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for confirming! Yes, basically. Thought I'd also add this to the knowledge base.

·
Registered
2002 SR5 Sequoia
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE. After much research I decided to put on a set of Spidertrax 1.25" hubcentric spacers. Trying to get a full set in black, in a reasonable time period is another story. I ended up ordering online for an in store pick up from 4WP, since their site showed they were in stock. Pulled the trigger. An hour later I get a call. We dont have them in stock. The website in not accurate on product count. It will take around a week or more to get them in stock. On back order. HOWEVER> they do have the G2 Brand equivalent in stock. they are slightly cheaper - they install them all the time. No problems. I ask if there are any issues? it seems that the Spidertrax from what I read - have the least amount of installation issues. They said nope. No problems. I asked about front wheel lug nuts full seating issues. Nope. OK, I will take them.

Specific Part > G/2 93-83-125T > G2 6 on 5.5 Bolt Pattern with 1.25

The Good News;
Installed them last week. the additional offset in the end is negligible. Tires sit flush w/ the wheel wells, basically. And, I have much better clearance between the rim and the rear shock mount.

The Bad News?;
However. Here is what I ran into on the from Spacer set. The mounting lug nuts are not fully seated. As in, there is still thread visible on the lug nuts.

I have included a group of pictures illustrating - the front install and the rear install. The rear wheel has longer lug bolts (is that the right term?). Pictures should be labeled.

Front Wheels;

Rear Wheel;

Fitment - Showing offset, basically flush w/ side of fenders

So. The question is - is this safe? all bolts were torqued to spec as directed w/ Red Thread Locker.

Thoughts? I'm going send pictures to 4WP and G2, to see what they say. Installed per directions.

·
Registered
2002 SR5 Sequoia
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Crickets. Tried to post this on the 4WP reviews - under the product. Still hasn't shown up. No response from them, either.

Thoughts on this anybody... ? Safe? NOT Safe - return.

LMK.

Thanks!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Now I'm curious to hear from an installer or shop guy...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Any spacers I have bought usually have a number of threads that need to be threaded to be safe.
I've run 2 sizes with 3 brands and it was 7 or 8 threads that need to be on the stud to be safe. 1 thread showing on the lug nut is more then that and should be safe. Retorque them after 100 miles, again after 500 miles and then once more at 2000 miles. Always retorque every tire rotation. If they loose torque everytime you have a problem.

I say "should" be safe as spacers can be sketchy if not manufactured well or installed the right way, most things happen when people use the wrong spacer for the wrong hub/wheel. Hubcentric and Lugcentric matter.
I don't see anything on the website but they look hubcentric to me, might verify that though.

·
Registered
52 Posts
SAFE? maybe... depends on how you drive it AND the condition of the lower ball joints.

You have increased the length of the "lever" that is tugging on your a-arms. You have altered the geometry of your steering - in what way only some compoter, somewhere, knows.

I would replace the lower ball joints. It's easy to do, provided you have the tool to break the taper on your tie rod ends and ball joints. 4 bolts hold them to the steering knuckle. Use lots of teflon tape and torque the he77 out of them. Then check tham at the first oil change. I prefer the moog (made in japan) with the lube fittings. You will need to buy 90 degree fittings - the ones they send don't work too well.

·
Registered
2002 SR5 Sequoia
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
UPDATE. Well Folks. In the end, my post on 4WP made it through on the reviews page letting people know about the from lug nut issue. text only, they did not post the pictures I submitted. After driving it for a week, I just just wasnt feeling it. Had some strange wavy feeling over 60. Ended up lucking out and catching a post of a full set (5x) of 2007 FJ wheels (17 x 7.5) that has the same 15mm offset as the originals. Pulled the wheels, swapped out the tires and installed. Much better all around. maybe it was psychosomatic? But it just did feel right w/ that fitment. 4WP, took the spacers back not questions asked - I showed them the photos. All good. Now I got some 2019, 17" TRD Wheels to sell on CL. Thanks everyone for the input !!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry I didn't see your question about the lug nuts and even though you have resolved the issue, I'll post anyway for record.
Here is how my SpiderTrax spacer looks when installed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts