Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to upgrade from the stock front stage in my 2004 Tundra. I'm looking at these two sets of 6.5" components (see below). Unfortunately, I will not be able to listen to them in person before buying, so I was hoping ya'll could share some experiences. I'll be powering these with 75-125 Watts (not sure which amp yet). I listen to mostly rock and drum-n-bass, with some hip-hop. Pearl Jam, Pink Floyd, and jazzy drum-n-bass must sound awesome b/c they comprise 90% of my listening time :)

Depending on how this upgrade sounds, i may not even add a sub (MAYBE). How does the low-end compare on these two sets?

Also, the stock tweeters are in the sails. Is that generally a good place for tweeters in full-size trucks? I've always tried to put the tweeters closer to the 6.5's, but i'm afraid the stage might be too low because of the size of the cab. How does the "brightness" of these two sets of tweeters compare?

ALPINE SPR-17S:
SPR-17S - Alpine 6.5" 2 Way Component Speaker System

CDT CL-61A:
CL-61A - CDT Audio Classic 6.5" 2-Way Component Speakers

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have a 2010 Tunrda DC and I have got to tell you that the best choice I made was to use a sound system other than the name brand speakers. Alpine is awsome, but CDT is freakin outstanding. I have CDT CL-61A/TW24 for my front comps. and CDT CL-E61NEOX 2way slims in the rear. Blew my mind the first time I heard them together, and even now that they have broken in a lil it still brings tears to my eyes how happy I am. I did the same amount of research and had a hard time leaving the idea that using anything else but ALPINE, PIONEER, ROCKFORD, etc. was the only way to go. Until I took the leap of faith in some of the guys on here, they helped with alot of the ideas I had.
Again, Alpine is great and have some really good sound quality...but I would bet money that you will have the same mind blowing experience I had if you go with the CDT setup. Good luck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks man. appreciate the feedback. Contrary to most, I actually have somewhat of an aversion to the big brands. I love finding the off-the-beaten-path companies that make great stuff. My old system had an Atlas 12 sub made by Ascendant Audio. One of the best subs i've ever heard. I powered it with 230 watts from an old-school, U.S. made, Memphis amp, and it THUMPED. The reason why i'm considering the Alpine's is b/c of some good words written about them by a guy that goes by "GlassWolf" in the ecoustics.com forums. He's probably the most experienced and educated audiophile i've seen online. Check out his insane setup in his '66 Charger... GlassWolf's Homepage. He says good things about the CDT's too. In fact, I've been reading a lot of good stuff about the CDT's. Very glad to hear you've had good experiences with the CL-61A/TW-24's. If i do go with CL-61A, i think i need to step up to the CL-61A/TW-24 like you have, or even the CL-61AT-25 PRO (from other opinions i've gathered). However, if i go with the 25 PRO's, then i'm right up there in price range with the Image Dynamics CTX65CS, which i'm a big fan of. "only $10 more bucks"... I think i said that about 20 times in my last install ;)

I'm officially dropping the CL-61A from the running, and replacing it with the CL-61A/TW-24, so it's Alpine SPR-17s vs CDT CL-61A/TW-24.

ok, so that's one vote for the CDT's...

·
Registered
22 Posts
just put spr17s in the front, and spr17c in the rear doors of my sequoia. haven't installed the amp yet but they sound really good with just the radio power( kenwood head unit). i'll install the amp in about 2 weeks. you can tell they need more power, so i cant wait. i have a fosgate t-4004 that i plan to use. i have a memphis pr1.1000, pushing 3 memphis m1 10"s, that thump. i'll let you know how the amp does.

·
Registered
4 Posts
do you have pics of your install? and do you have a stock radio or upgrade. I have a 2010 SR5 TRD CrewMax. I want to upgrade a few things with the stereo to get better sound. I would love to add some or one sub for bass. There seems to be a lot lacking for the stock. I know it is stock though. First vehicle I have bought with stock system in a long time. Help would be greatly appreciated to push me into the right direction. I would love to add more speakers to the truck.

·
Registered
918 Posts
For tweeter placement, my experience is it depends on speaker design, interior acoustics, and tuning. On my 04 Dakota I went from Eclipse SC 8362 2 ways to Hertz HSK 165 2 ways. The Eclipses sounded perfect with the tweeters in the sail panels. The Hertz speakers seemed to loose something with this same tweeter placement in comparison. I believe the Hertz is a better speaker, but it needs a different install.

I moved the Hertz from my 04 Dakota with the sail tweeter placement to my 09 Tundra with them also installed in a similar spot. I found the sound quality went down just a tiny bit more. Seems like the drawbacks of sail panel placement are magnified in the bigger tundra. I personally feel like I'd like to experiment between either a dash placement in those 3 inch openings at the corners of the windshield or something high in the door panel as close as possible to the dash, angled back. So no, I am not a big fan of sail panel tweeter positioning on this truck. But you will have to experiment with different positions for your particular speaker set.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
The crossover points play a big part with regard to driver placement. I have tweeters in the sail panels and mids in the lower door of my Sequoia. With my last install, I originally crossed the tweeters low (around 2000 Hz) and it sounded like doo doo. Very tinny and unbalanced. After consulting the the speaker designer, I crossed the tweets at 5000 Hz and the mids at 5750 Hz.
Two complete different worlds! I was initially disappointed in these very expensive tweeters, but now after moving the crossover points, they sound heavenly.

I think if your tweeters are located very close to the mids, you can get away with a lot more. There's no magic equation though, you just have to start somewhere and keep trying and learning.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I installed my cdt tweets in the angled sail panels that come with the jbl package and I think they sound great. I like the sound of silk tweets over metal so that might be why they sound good there. Sometimes metal tweets will sound way too bright in sail panels but I think silks do better. The slight angle of the jbl panels help with the imaging. I would like to hear some tweets placed in the dash speaker locations for a comparison though.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I installed my cdt tweets in the angled sail panels that come with the jbl package and I think they sound great. I like the sound of silk tweets over metal so that might be why they sound good there. Sometimes metal tweets will sound way too bright in sail panels but I think silks do better. The slight angle of the jbl panels help with the imaging. I would like to hear some tweets placed in the dash speaker locations for a comparison though.
I can tell you that it just sounds awful with the tweets in the dash panels, I have a cdt setup. I tried all around and that was a perfect spot the sail panels. I agree with the silk tweets, they sound so much clearer and alive. I can hear beats and sounds thru CDs/radio music that I have not been noticing. I had many thoughts about Alpine, but I am soooooo glad I went with the cdt setup.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts