Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured out how to hook up a different light to operate as the DRL. I ordered a 12" side emitting LED in natural white from Oznium.com.

DRL Plug.jpg

Just wired the LEDs to the resistor side of the DRL plug.

closeup LED.jpg

single LED Park.jpg

LED Park.jpg

unlit led.jpg

I stuck the LEDs to the metal strips under the headlights so if I ever need to remove the headlights the LED wiring will not be an issue. I took more pics during the install, but they didn't save.:eek: Sorry.

I like the look of that audi style and thought I might give it a try. I put Silverstar bulbs in and disconnected the DRL due to their short life. My wife wanted the safety feature, so this is what she got.:D

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
ok so how bright are they in daytime? are they bright enough to actually be DRLs?

but props for doing it...LEDs are cool. :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LED Day.jpg

A daytime shot. (6PM)

Not sure what they look like from far away. I work 12 hour shifts and just installed them last night. I went in on day shift today so I've not had a chance to view them from a distance.

I actually just touched the LED wires to the harness side of the plug to determine what side was hot and ground and marked it. Then I cut the resistor's plug off and wired the LED to the pigtail. The LEDs come with their own resistor installed, so there is no need for the Toyota resistor. I did save it so I could go back to stock with minimal fuss. Then I ran the LED wiring out the hole the resistor mounts in and under the headlight. I don't have great pictures, because I was using my phone to take pics and the memory card in it is acting weird and I lost a lot of them. If you need more elaborate/ detailed information I can maybe get to tearing it apart to take photos in 3-4 days.

BigO front.jpg

These are the LEDs installed on my 2500HD Silverado for a year now and still look great. Also ordered them from Oznium.com

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
well looks like someone likes puttin LEDs in unusual places hahaha. LEDs are cool.

i dont think u have the "saftey feature" your wife wanted though..those arent going to be much help in real daylight from a distance away..but then again people drove w/o friggin DRLs for years and still do w/o issues. i personally get annoyed by them (stock DRLs not yours). but u gut a tundraudi now so ur good.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I kinda think that if you can't see the big damn truck/suv a small amount of light is not really going to help. But if it calms the waters with her ,and provides me with some customization time, I'm ok with that!:crazy3d:

Also, I'm happy with the look.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts