Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased an alternator on Ebay last summer to have a spare to carry along with me during a long trip, but luckily never had to use it. While I had my factory alternator off a few weeks ago I compared them and everything looked identical except for the electrical plug, mine is a relatively flat plug with three prongs, but the spare I purchased has a more squared up plug with four prongs in it.

I can't find the email where I purchased it and can't remember the vendor (my Ebay account history doesn't go back that far)......so now I'm stuck with a brand new alternator for a Toyota ? that I can't use, nor advertise for sale.....

When I purchased it, it was advertised for a 2001 Tundra 4.7L (100-amp I believe).

Anybody have any idea what I have? It's a good thing my factory alternator didn't crap out during our trip!

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, i would see what the part # is.
if it is a denso, that should be easy to find out for what tundra/sequoia it's for.
if in fact it's for 1 of those.

i know the 05/06 tundra last 2 #'s are 40. and the sequoia's last 2 #'s are 50.
these are with OEM build in trailer hitch's, & V8 engines.
tundra 130amp
sequoia 150amp

i know this doesn't help you.
but if it is a oem alt. that # should help you locate for what it's for.
now you need to find out if it's for a V6 or V8, & what year.
gorilla

i wonder if anyone who has 2000 to 2004 could help you.
i forgot, if you look at part shotes, they give you a list:
look up the year, make model, than it brings up the part # & amp's & price.
you might have to do a few of them. but i'm sure you can find it.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi, i would see what the part # is.
if it is a denso, that should be easy to find out for what tundra/sequoia it's for.
if in fact it's for 1 of those.

i know the 05/06 tundra last 2 #'s are 40. and the sequoia's last 2 #'s are 50.
these are with OEM build in trailer hitch's, & V8 engines.
tundra 130amp
sequoia 150amp

i know this doesn't help you.
but if it is a oem alt. that # should help you locate for what it's for.
now you need to find out if it's for a V6 or V8, & what year.
gorilla

i wonder if anyone who has 2000 to 2004 could help you.
i forgot, if you look at part shotes, they give you a list:
look up the year, make model, than it brings up the part # & amp's & price.
you might have to do a few of them. but i'm sure you can find it.
Thanks for the info, I'll try to get a part # off it tonight and see if that leads me anywhere.

·
2015 Tundra TRD Silver
103 Posts
Hey, I just bought a 160 amp Denso Alternator for my 2003 Tundra. It has two sets of numbers 66534-8364599 and 673297765-324. Maybe this might help you.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well no luck, there isn't a # to be found on this thing.

It must be for a Tundra, Sequoia, or Tacoma because it bolted right up on my engine..........

·
2015 Tundra TRD Silver
103 Posts
That's a tundra alternator pictured above I know since I just changed my alternator. The squared four prong connector is for the plug on Tundra. My alternator number is 210-3380. Check yours.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's a tundra alternator pictured above I know since I just changed my alternator. The squared four prong connector is for the plug on Tundra. My alternator number is 210-3380. Check yours.
The one that came factory on my truck (and is still on it) is a 3-prong flatter style plug. What year is your truck? I'm not 100% sure what amp alternator mine came with factory.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is what my plug looks like -

And while we're on the topic, I'd like to upgrade from the factory 100 amp to a 130 amp out of an '03.......which is what I thought I was doing when I bought the one pictured above.......wonder if a 130 amp has the same plug as mine? I may have bought a 150 amp on accident.....who the hell knows :rolleyes:.

·
Forum Admin
8,250 Posts
Yours looks like a standard spec alt (100A). If you can take a pic of the drive end frame, then maybe we can decipher it a little better.

I pulled this from the 2006 FSM:

Attachments

·
Registered
234 Posts
Posting the year of your truck would help. Since the OP has a different factory plug on his
truck.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yours looks like a standard spec alt (100A). If you can take a pic of the drive end frame, then maybe we can decipher it a little better.

I pulled this from the 2006 FSM:
That '06 diagram you pulled appears to have the same plug as the one that I got sent, which leads me to another question, I thought the '03 - '06 alternators were the same and that the '03 130-amp was a "drop-in" mod for our earlier 100-amp alternators (based on some past threads I've read on here)?????

I've never had any luck searching to determine if somebody on here has ever successfully installed an '03 130-amp alternator in an '00 - '01, without having to change the plug and wiring up some. I know they will bolt on, because all the 1st-gen years share the same mounts.

I can get some pics of the front of my factory '01 100-amp.

Here's a front view of the one I got sent -

·
Forum Admin
8,250 Posts
bah, I can't view 3rd party linked pictures on my work pc. :(

What about those that have done the Big3 upgrade? I wonder if they upgraded alts and/or changed plugs in the process.

I was looking at the plug in the FSM and saw the same thing you did. If you want to fab something and need the plug diagram, I can probably dig a little and find it. If I do (find it), I'll post it. May want to ask that guy in the classifieds if he can part out the plug and ship it to you! haha

1 - 13 of 13 Posts