Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Preferred Dealer
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many know, the plastic cap on the oil filter housing leaves something to be desired. While trying to remove the cap, the wrench can slip or frequently becomes stuck , and after enough oil R&R sessions, it can eventually round the cap off. I also expect that after a few more years and many more heat cycles, we'll be seeing plenty of warped or cracked pieces, too. When this happens, one can go to the dealer and buy another at a retail price of over $60. Or for about half that price, one can pick up the aluminum version from a Venza 3.5 V6.

Only one modification is required to fit the Venza piece up, and that is swapping of the Tundra internal perforated oil filter support tube into the Venza Cap. To peform this swap is easy. To remove the tube, the two small retaining tabs need to be bent up to near vertical. Then push down on the tube, turn it about 45 degrees, and it will push up and out. It has some spring tension on it. A spring and the drain valve disc are located under it. Be careful not to lose them. Remove the Tundra tube in the same manner, install it in the Venza Cap and bend the tabs back flat.

Here are the caps and internal parts...

This picture shows how to use a flat blade screwdriver to bend the tabs up. The metal is thin, just a gentle twist on the screwdriver handle will bend the tab to where it is in the picture.

I have a few of these in stock and can match dealer retail on the price. Or if you want to keep your business local, or find yourself in a jam and need one quickly, the part number is 15620-31060.

We are working on few ore trick with this part, so stay tuned.

My little message to Toyota... I've buying and beating on your trucks since the 80's... They are purchased for their extreme durability, smart designs, and easy servicabilty. I don't buy them for built to fail plastic oil filter caps that cost twice as much as the lifetime alloy part that comes on some of your other vehicles. Pull your head out of your nether region and realize how you got to where you are.

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
Brian,
Gotta to agree on Toyotas bass ackward ness latley!
Putting a more durable piece on a car instead of a truck.
Very nice mod.
I got to hate oil change time.
You gotta do the stock skid plate trap door next.

·
Benny Hill
17,369 Posts
My little message to Toyota... I've buying and beating on your trucks since the 80's... They are purchased for their extreme durability, smart designs, and easy servicabilty. I don't buy them for built to fail plastic oil filter caps that cost twice as much as the lifetime alloy part that comes on some of your other vehicles. Pull your head out of your nether region and realize how you got to where you are.
I agree. I buy Toyotas because of their reliability and durability. I sure hope they don't continue in the direction they are going.

·
Veteran Member
1,048 Posts
Brian, EXCELLENT post and great pics. I did not realize that the oil filter cap was plastic. Amazing. If you have any more of those aluminum caps let me know, I am definitely interested.
You and GunTech are right, Toyota has been cutting some serious corners. I have owned Toyotas since the "80s and cannot believe some of the short cuts they are taking. I am noticing huge differences in parts quality from my '02 Tundra. Things like the plastic intake manifold (and manifold cover), and they no longer use screws to secure the scuff plates, they use plastic clips that tend to break. The interior assist handles used to be held on with sturdy 10mm bolts, now they use these cheasy clips that are not nearly as strong. I could go on and on. I hope Toyota pulls their head out and goes back to making vehicle (and parts) to last. I'll climb off my soapbox now.
But seriously, GREAT write up.
Ken

·
Registered
157 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
very nice, I hate the plastic housing, after my last dealor oil change I can't get the drain plug out anyway they really jamed it in there,,,,

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
We are working on few ore trick with this part, so stay tuned.
Might you be whittling on one, and replacing the perforated center tube with a solid one, to adapt a remote spin-on oil filter? he asked, hopefully.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Might you be whittling on one, and replacing the perforated center tube with a solid one, to adapt a remote spin-on filter? he asked, hopefully.
That's what I'm looking for... I have a machinist friend who is all of the sudden too busy to look at my project... damn economy picking up!!!

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Brian.
I picked up one today, but it looked broken where the drain plug screws in, so I returned it. Now I see in your picture that yours has that mysterious missing section, too. Looks like somebody broke away a section of thread where the drain plug screws in. Are all the ones you have like that? I picture a messy operation when the drain hose adapter gets pushed in during an oil change.

SteveJ

·
Preferred Dealer
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry guys, I do not have plans to offer a a housing that will accept a normal filter. It was under consideration at one point, but for a couple reason we decided not to do it.

SteveJ, they all have that missing piece. I'm not sure why, but the 3.5 V6 cars that use this piece have the filter hanging hanging down like the Tundra... thus the same oil change procedure with the same tools. It does look like an alternative route for the oil to take when using the push plug drain. I'll check it out today.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Is the engine side (female threads) of the Tundra any different than the Vensa as in a different type of material. I'm just thinking of dissimilar metals and galvanic corrosion.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts