Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I was wondering if any of you folks have an aluminum topper on your Access Cab? I have done a little searching and so far I don't see one for my 2001 AC. I've found fiber glass, but only work toppers in aluminum. I want the lightest I can find and I don't care if it's sleek and color matched, black or charcoal will be fine. thanks

·
Registered
524 Posts
I had one on an older F250, yes they are lighter but very cheap and flimsy-I didnt care much for it. I sold it and put a fiberglass one on.

Never seen an AL one for the Tundras tho, always fiberglass.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah me too, I've been looking and they list them for the Big 3 trucks, but not for Gen 1 tundras. They do have the industrial type, but not the regular ones. I want one because they are light weight and easier to man handle. I'm not much worried about looks, mainly functionality. I had one on one of my older trucks and it did the job OK.

·
Registered
568 Posts
They exist, however Aluminum shells are a one way ticket to the tundra Dinosaur club.

That being said, I wouldnt really really worry about wieght. 300lbs is the wieght of most glass shells, and they will hold up a lot better and arent noisy.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They exist, however Aluminum shells are a one way ticket to the tundra Dinosaur club.

That being said, I wouldnt really really worry about wieght. 300lbs is the wieght of most glass shells, and they will hold up a lot better and arent noisy.

What is the "Tundra dinosaur club" it sounds right down my alley. I'm slowly becoming a dino myself. As for the wight, 300lbs is more than I can handle, even though the truck can. I',ve been that route and nearly herniated myself trying to man handle it, but when I had an aluminum, it wasn't nearly as hard to remove and re-install.

·
Registered
524 Posts
When I had a topper on a truck I did this-. I made a frame that was made out of 1x2's and parked next to it. Then I unbolted the topper and lifted it enough to place a 2x4 under both sides and I shimmied the top onto the frame-took maybe 15 mins.

Friend of mine did even better, he has a garage and put a large pulley in the rafters. Then he made this rope setup where you had 4 tie down points. Drove in with the truck, tied the points to the topper after unbolting it, then pulled up and tied off-done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts