Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made an appointment at a local line x place for the bedliner and undercoating (in October). They quoted me $575 for line x extra and $625 for the color match for the truck bed. They seem reasonable according to what I gather from the forum.

For the undercoating, they gave me $459 for undercoating and rustproofing (half that for only one of those services). Rustproofing was explained to me as getting to all the hard to reach places including the inside of the doors. I thought 'rustproofing' (as explained to me) was a part of the typical undercoating process (perhaps with exception of the door). Am I simply being double-charged for the same service? If I just get the undercoating done (my truck is less than 3 month old), am I getting a defective product? Has anyone got these services from a line x shop? Any input will greatly be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I made an appointment at a local line x place for the bedliner and undercoating (in October). They quoted me $575 for line x extra and $625 for the color match for the truck bed. They seem reasonable according to what I gather from the forum.

For the undercoating, they gave me $459 for undercoating and rustproofing (half that for only one of those services). Rustproofing was explained to me as getting to all the hard to reach places including the inside of the doors. I thought 'rustproofing' (as explained to me) was a part of the typical undercoating process (perhaps with exception of the door). Am I simply being double-charged for the same service? If I just get the undercoating done (my truck is less than 3 month old), am I getting a defective product? Has anyone got these services from a line x shop? Any input will greatly be appreciated.

I would think undercoating means rust proofing. Are they charging two separate amounts? I paid $630 for my linex xtra on my long bed.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does your linex extra include color matching?

They are charging 229.50 for rustproofing and 229.50 for undercoating. I agree. Rustproofing should be included in the undercoating process. It seems, then, since my car is relatively new, I could just get undercoating for it (They told me that I could do that). Am I missing something here? Have you heard any such thing?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Does your linex extra include color matching?

They are charging 229.50 for rustproofing and 229.50 for undercoating. I agree. Rustproofing should be included in the undercoating process. It seems, then, since my car is relatively new, I could just get undercoating for it (They told me that I could do that). Am I missing something here? Have you heard any such thing?
It was $680 for color matching, but I chose black. I would ask them what is in the rust proofing that makes it rustproof. I've never heard of a two step undercoating/rustproofing process but that doesn't mean there isn't one. If I could get everything undercoated for $230, that sounds like a pretty good deal.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I worked at Ziebart back in the day so I may have some insight. With the undercoating they will just spray a rubberized coating on the undercarriage and exposed inner panels. The additional "rustproofing" will probably consist of drilling the doors, rocker panels, tailgate, etc., and spaying an oil/wax based metal protecter. IMO, skip the rustproofing, just keep the truck clean, the drain holes clear, and repair any chips as soon as you notice them.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the inputs.

I did consider just getting it undercoated. My concern is this. It seems that some rustproofing process is typically included in any undercoating process. So if I just get undercoating from the line x dealer, they will not do what they described as rustproofing. In other words, it seems that undercoating from this line x shop is worth less than what other non-line x shops offer.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
move down here. we dont even know what rustproofing or undercoating is hahaha.

·
Registered
544 Posts

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
move down here. we dont even know what rustproofing or undercoating is hahaha.
I do love living in the south! Even if it is 110F every day! :cool:

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
384 Posts
I had my liner done for $350 and the undercoating done for $150. I didn't pay extra for the Line-X or Rhino name on it though.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had my liner done for $350 and the undercoating done for $150. I didn't pay extra for the Line-X or Rhino name on it though.
Those prices do sound so much better than the line x prices. What kind of brand is it? Do they carry life-time warrantee? I will probably get the line x for the bed, but I am open for other options for undercoating.

·
Registered
457 Posts
according to Honda I live in the worst place in the world for rusting, Nova Scotia Canada. Honda set up a research facility here and bought old fords and chevys and took them apart and studied the places they rusted. Rust proofing and undercoating is a way of life here especially for truck owners and I never heard of two different processes especially the one which gets into the hard to reach places. Rustproofing is only as good as the guy on the end of the gun and I would say just add the two prices together and that's what they want for doing the job which is real high compared to the prices here where the job is about $130. but we usually get it done every year or every other year.

If you can talk to the guy who actually is doing the work and tell him there is a 24 of beer in the back for him if he does a good job. Don't forget to get them to do the inside of the rear bumper and take your spare tire off before they do it so they can get the area it covers up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts