Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before anybody says it, yes, I have searched the threads on this subject. Everyone says to just trade in your '07 for an '10 that is 4x4. But I have a problem with that.

For 1, I cannot get the '10 in 4x4 non flex fuel in TX or any other GST. It's a pain in the *** to go outside and have to buy a truck thats supercharged and I cant even drive it before I buy it. I want 4x4 AND supercharged, so the requirement for non-flex fuel is essential.

Secondly, everyone says that its cheaper to just trade in on a truck instead of paying to do the conversion. Well, yeah, that makes sense except for the fact that I am upside down on my truck. It is a wrecked Tundra, and as such, Toyota is going to lowball me with a tradein. Thats going to cost me as well. So you see, its not a black and white issue.

So that being said, spare me the comments about just trading it in. I have looked at that route, and its going to be a pain in the ***. There is nothing wrong with my '07, it only has 60k miles and should have plenty more to give. Yes, I am just outside of the regular warranty, and only have another 40k on the extended warranty. It is for this reason that I would like to look at converting.

Here are my questions: What all is needed?

Someone made a list in another post, but here are the key items:
transfer case
front differential with suspension (Spindles, axle shafts, etc)
shortened rear driveshaft
front driveshaft
is there any difference in the 4x4 transmission and the 4x2?

The first two items are going to be most costly. However, I see transfer cases on ebay for $500 to $750. I see a front diff for around $500. If I can find a donor truck(s), then all of the front suspension and drive parts should be fairly easy to find, and I would guess it can be had for less than $1k. That puts everything TOTAL in the $2000 to $2500 range.

What else? I need the switch on the dash. Now, i have been behind the dash and see wires that look like they would plug into the 4x4 switch. I would assume, then, that the remainder of the wiring is there for the rest of the 4x4 whether or not the truck is 4x2 or 4x4. That would make sense that toyota would consolidate wiring harnesses for ease of install. I dont have an auto dimming mirror, but the wires are still there.

Secondly, I could probably just have Toyota flash the ECM for the 4x4. It should not require another ECM.

Thirdly, everyone likes to say that it would require a lot of fabrication? Why? The frame and everything else should be the same. This system should bolt up to my existing frame, right?

Ok, feel free to shoot this theory full of holes. But honestly, I think it can be done much cheaper than everyone thinks. I am not buying new parts from toyota, I am buying parts from a wrecked tundra.

·
Registered
754 Posts
you can trade in for the 10 with no flex fuel then supercharge it later. You can get one right now a stripped down crewmax a black with gray bench seating im looking at it for 30k with no tax though you pay tax in your state. your going through a lot of hell to try to save a couple hundred dollars than add in your time per hour to do the crossover. just buy another one...you can sell that car to carmax or just do it privately. someone is bound to buy it no matter what.....

·
Registered
19 Posts
I wouldn't bet on the frames being the same. This seems taking the really long way around to something that could be accomplished much easier with another approach.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
For starters, the 2wd frame is part # 51001-0C492, while the 4WD frame is # 51001-0C581. The frame is most likely different in the front suspension X member and in the tranny/ T-case X member. How would you like to find that out after buying all the components? :eek:

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
I wouldnt think that the frames would be any different. I think however that buying used parts and installing them on your current vehicle is more than I'd want to try. Ill be interested to see how it goes when you're done. Good Luck!

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
LIke someone said, it probably is a crossbrace up front for something or another.

Which transfer case does teh Tundra use? Why are so many popping up on eBay?

Heck, go all out and get an NP203/NP205 doubler and make the thing a rock crawler with a 6:1 ratio.

-rockstate

·
Registered
422 Posts
yes. u are.

·
Registered
420 Posts
You would need the Toyota transfer case but for the front end it would be a lot easier to go with a solid front axle.

·
NASH
3,634 Posts
I think you are crazy. How about trade it on a used 07-08 Tundra?

·
Registered
655 Posts
good luck with that.keep us posted.lets play a game,everybody throw out a dollar amount,and labor time,and lets see who wins the prize "there really is no prize.lol",im going to say,$4900.00 "if all junk yard parts" and over a 1000 hours labor.i wish you the best of luck,i really do.please keep us posted.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Why do you "need" 4wd?
I am slowly adding options to my grade to get the things I want. But it is not trying to make it what it is not.
One thing for sure is that toyota does delete wiring if it is not required. lots of threads on mirrors, info button JBL and other things to prove it.
I imagine the only way to do this would be to be able to buy a wrecked 4wd that you could use to make 1 good vehicle and sell a lot of parts to help fund it. And which VIN do you use?
A buddy did this with a dodge and plymouth rams, it took months and many many issues cropped up. And this was a no computer vehicle. Can your truck be down that long?

·
Registered
848 Posts
i made the parts list on the other thread and i agree its not worth it .. from the time i made that thread i sold my 07 2wd DC and bought a 08 4X4 crewmax and my payments are cheaper now then with the 2wd so i have no copmplaints

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Ah, I think I should add this as well.

I'd rather drive a previously wrecked Tundra than one that has a frankenstein 4wd setup.

How bad was the wreck? Was it close to totaling it or was it a new bumper and hitch?

-rockstate

·
Registered
753 Posts
Its not a jeep, a 4x4 conversion wont take you 6 hours on a saturday and wheel it on sunday.

-Tim

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
You'll need another ECM just to add up all the issues you're gonna have...:td:

Oh hell no!! Trade it!!

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
What I find most amusing about this is you are already upside down on your truck so you don't want to trade it in.... instead you want to dump more more money into it!

·
Registered
112 Posts
yes. u are.
Agree with that.

If the time, effort, expense involved with attempting a conversion are not a deterrent enough for you, then what about the fact that your frankenstein experiment could fail and leave you stranded somewhere, or the fact that when you go to sell it someday most buyers will be very leery... or, if you get rear ended at a stop light and the adjuster totals your truck, your extra expense to convert it to 4x4 is kaput.

·
Registered
200 Posts
check what the insurance company is willing to give you for it... if its more than the stealership, then get rear-ended or report it stolen and burn it in the woods .... just make sure its totaled and cant be savaged.... now you have the money to buy a newer one :D

I saved you time and money SO you're welcome

1 - 20 of 39 Posts