Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to make the truck a bit more quieter so im going to order some damp pro on monday,but I need some help on this before I lose my mind. How much coverage do you guys think 80sqft will cover in a 07 Tundra DC.Was hoping to get 1 layer on the headliner,floor and back wall.Basically everything but the doors.

·
Schumacher! Need I say more?
155 Posts
36 ft2 did my two rear doors and the back wall. I had one piece of 18x32 left over that I doubled on back wall where stealthbox is going to fire. 80 ft. might be enough.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
DISCLAIMER: I do not own a 2nd gen Tundra, and I am completely taking these numbers out of my head.

I would imagine the roof area is about 5'x5', so that would take up atleast 25sqft. the rear panel is about 2.5'x5', so that would be about another 12-13sqft. the floor I am guessing is about 5'x8-10' so you would be safe to assume you would need about 40-50sqft for the floor. all together that sounds about like 100sqft at most, 90sqft at least of you are going full coverage.

Now, here is where I know somebody will chime in with a BOOOOOO!
I am an aircooled VW lover, and I read an article from the magazine HOT VW's, in which they sound deadened a bug(something EVERY bug should have). They stated in that article that the idea is to concentrate on the flat panels, as these areas are where the most flex and noise are happening. The roof especially transfers wind noise which can and will battle the sounds of your stereo. The curved areas don't tend to flex and so they do not tend to transfer as much vibration(rattle). They stated that per Dynomat's instructions on flat surfaces you need 80% coverage, so if there are spots her and there that you miss, you aren't doing bad. This makes sense if you look at the walls next time you are in a movie theater, there is a sound deadening structure that surounds the room, and it only goes up about 3/4 of the way, leaving some area for sound reflection.

However, I know many people think you have to cover every square inch to get the best results, I wont argue since it does make sense. It's man logic, if a little is good, a lot must be better right? By the advice from the Hot VW's article, using their math, you should be okay with 80sqft. Good luck.:tu:

·
Schumacher! Need I say more?
155 Posts
I agree. I added "Auto Barrier" (same as Dyna Ex) to my doors, rear wall and a small part of the floor where the Stealthbox is sitting. That amount of coverage (I think it was about 50 ft2 of material) made a huge difference in the "feel" of the doors when you open/close them and quieted the road noise a bit. I sealed the doors well removing the stock poly on the inside of the doors and replacing with Auto Barrier. I'm excited to replace the rear seats and Stealthbox and hear the difference. The rear seats in the DC baffles a lot of road noise.

·
Registered
379 Posts
BOOOOOO!

Just kidding! The idea is right. A large flat panel resonates like a speaker. If you add mass to the panel (mineral loaded deadener), you lower the resonance of it. If you add enough mass to it, you can lower the resonance to the point it is no longer audible. The easier way is to combine materials and use a mass loader and a barrier foam. That way, you can use just enough mass loader to lower the resonance and absorb all the rest... saves money, saves weight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts