Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
...Raptor Slayer...
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well first off im getting one of these but i have read, researched and looked at their products but cant find a difference other than brand name "AMP" with a higher price and "Bestop" lower price. It seems that one is called a power step and one is a power board with LED lights and same construction. I just found out about bestop today in my Truckin magazine and just wondering if maybe someone has these but just forgot to post it up on the forums or just maybe to shed some light if im missing something that makes it a $400 dollar price difference. If it comes down to saving $400 on a not so popular company and the warranty is good im sold.

·
Premium Member
5,472 Posts
I can't tell you about the power steps, but their TrekStep IS the Amp Bed Step. The same one Toyota sells for $250. It was $239 direct from AMP when I bought it back in '07.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
The ad I saw for Bestop had the AMP logo in it, which led me to believe they are made by the same mfg. Not positive though.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
I can't tell you about the power steps, but their TrekStep IS the Amp Bed Step. The same one Toyota sells for $250. It was $239 direct from AMP when I bought it back in '07.
I think he's talking about the running boards; not the rear bed-step. :beatsme:

·
Premium Member
5,472 Posts
I think he's talking about the running boards; not the rear bed-step. :beatsme:
Yep, I know that.:cool:
The point is that if Bestop is selling the same bed step for less than AMP maybe they are also selling the same power step for less.;);)
When I bought my bed step 3 years ago Bestop was selling them but they were at the same price as AMP.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
As a general rule of thumb, warrenties are abit of a joke. They try to find every reason not to honor them. That seems to be the trend of most things now. If warrenty is a concern for you, then read all thier fine prints in thier warrenty and become very knowledgeable with it so you have a tool to use with them if you need to.

good luck and dont forget pictures. :)

·
...Raptor Slayer...
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, I know that.:cool:
The point is that if Bestop is selling the same bed step for less than AMP maybe they are also selling the same power step for less.;);)
When I bought my bed step 3 years ago Bestop was selling them but they were at the same price as AMP.
If you read my post thats exactly why im asking as i wrote AMP is more expensive than Bestop but im looking to see why that is...im not talking about like $50 its a $400 difference.

·
Premium Member
5,472 Posts
If you read my post thats exactly why im asking as i wrote AMP is more expensive than Bestop but im looking to see why that is...im not talking about like $50 its a $400 difference.
Yeah, I wish that I had some better information for you.
I think that they both post their installation instructions on their websites. Maybe if you compared them you could tell if it is the same package???:beatsme:
http://www.bestoppowerboard.com/conversion-chart

·
...Raptor Slayer...
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They are the same exact thing except for the motors that deliver the step up and down. I was just told they are cheaper because they are a newer product and the distributors want to get it out there also Bestop powerboards come with a $100 dollar rebate making them $799. I just answered my own question but it took me about 20 phone calls.

·
Premium Member
5,472 Posts
Sure sounds like a much better deal than the AMP steps. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yup and while AMP will throw in a bumper step or bed extender for free, with their price, it's still cheaper to buy the Bstop with the rebate and then buy your own bumper step... and still come out ahead.

David

·
Registered
375 Posts
i saw these too about a month ago in truckin mag. from what i read and heard they are or were made by the same company. but who knows, unless in the 20 phone calls u made you found out otherwise. i think im goin this route. amp steps are just too expensive and the powerboard does the same exact thing... doesnt make sense to buy amp unless ur one of those guys where brand name is important to you. (i.e. RBP customers. =] )

keep us posted on what you do and what else you find out.
thanks!

·
...Raptor Slayer...
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So bestop was a distributor for amp they are the exact same steps. Bestop just started making there own. The only difference is the motors they use

·
Registered
323 Posts
Where did you see them for $799?

·
Registered
10 Posts
from what I understand and have read multiple reviews is that amp started out as a small company and then used best top as an umbrella. But as of resent they went their own ways, however best top had certain patents and made their own (different mortors) as you stated kiwi. You are also correct on the warranty amp research offers 5 yrs where best top only offers 3 but as it was stated those can be flimsy as well. I personally just purchased best top and still am a little optimistic. I will let you know how they work once I install them. Oh another thing to add is I am not sure if they are using the same materials to build the best top as compared to the amp. But the test are the same and I guess only time will prove if best top power boards are as good. Hope that helps?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts