Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just completed a real world test comparing the new Amsoil EaO 57 oil filter vs. our OEM oil filter. Ran the OEM filter 1550 miles and captured an engine oil sample and ran a particle count on that oil. Changed the filter (only, not oil) and installed an Amsoil EaO 57 oil filter and then ran 1550 miles, again, sampled, ran analysis..

Results:

OEM oil Filter Amsoil EaO Filter
>4 microns= 1817 particles/ML 128 particles/ML
>6 microns= 990 particles/ML 70 particles/ML
>14 microns = 168 particles/ML 12 particles/Ml
>25 microns = 34 particles/Ml 2 particles/ML
>50 microns = 3 particles/ML 0 particles/Ml

Thus the Eao yielded over a 93% reduction in particulates vs. the OEM oil filter... The ISO cleanliness levels were 18/17/15 for the OEM and 14/13/11 for the Amsoil EaO filter. From a lube engineer's perspective, if I can reduce the ISO cleanliness one or two numbers, I am very happy. To achieve a 4 reduction over a quality oil filter, incredible... The used oil from my Sequoia was cleaner than the oil that came out of the quarts I used to fill the engine!
My Sequoia has 160,000 miles on it, original owner/driver/ME.......
NOTE: I do not now nor ever have had any affiliation with Amsoil.. My paycheck is relative to several major oil brands, who make filter also, but nothing with the performance level of the EaO.....
Simply the best oil filter currently available, from my testing and experience, by a huge, huge margin.
George Morrison, STLE CLS

· Registered
573 Posts
Thanks George. Good info. The Amsoil EaO filters are designed for extended intervals also. I wonder how they managed that since you would think that high filtration efficiency and extended intervals would be conflicting design goals.

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Regarding the EaO life extension and the seeming paradox.. It is simply paper vs. microglass. Filter paper manufacture being more black art than science, roughly 40% of a cellulose element ends up being completely blocked right out of the box. Thus flow and contaminant containment level is significantly reduced. In a manufactured microglass element, 100% of the filter flows and has dirt holding capacity. As a general rule a microglass element will last up to 4 times longer than a comparable sized paper element yet provide close to half the flow resistance.. i.e. flows MUCH easier, better and lasts considerably longer yet filters worlds better! A win/win situation with microglass, except of course, price of filter. But in terms of overall performance and total cost, again, win/win...

And how bitter a pill this is for me to write as I am associated with a major oil company's products along with other major lube manufacturers and presenting a competitors product data as the end all be all oil filter... But, it IS that good...
And, as always, the footnote that I am not, nor have I never been an Amsoil dist. No association, no affiliation...

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: which oil is best... :) Not gonna go there......
Only to say a Group IV or V full synthetic, XW-30 viscosity.. I *am* biased from my experience but the EaO filter is the first and only lubricant related component I have ever named by brand.. My affiliation is with several major oil companies and obviously no affiliation or real world experience with Amsoil lubricants. Amsoil does make quality products but the only Amsoil product I can comment is the Amsoil EaO oil filter... Sorry..

Columbus, Ohio

· Registered
116 Posts
hi i have an02 seq installed the amsoil dual filtration and remote kit, with the be90 and sdf15 which is eao15 now and i do oil change twice a year running on full synthetic, these set up added 1.5 quarts of oil now my capacity is 8 quarts:tu:

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, it would seem from my analysis results with the EaO, your Sequoia engine should very likely last forever!! My results are with the miniscule sized EaO for our engine. With a larger EaO, I wonder what kind of particle counts that would return.... As I mentioned previously, my used engine oil is already cleaner than the oil I put IN the engine out of the bottle; yours would be even cleaner!

· Registered
116 Posts
ive installed it like after a year since new, yes i did some test on it too, am in the oil refinery company, compared the new amsoil viscocity to the oil that i drained, and its pretty damn close to new oil, also just for the heck of it i ran a BSW to check on the sediment nothing, so its great, i can even prolong the oil change per amsoil 25K or 1 year, and replace the eao15 every 6 months, but am playing safe am doing it every 6 mos,

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Napa Gold would return about the same results as the OEM filter results I posted initially. Paper/cellulose are essentially 30 micron filters and cellulose/microglass blend elements are somewhat better (Napa Gold, Mobil 1, etc.) but nowhere near what a full microglass element is capable. Napa Gold, Mobil 1, etc. were the best of what they were but a new level of filtration is now available with the EaO..

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Regarding reversing the test procedure. Not gonna do it! No way am I going back to OEM oil filter! Test done! :) Both oils had achieved filtration "equilibrium" at the 1500 mile check.
The OEM oil filter had cleaner oil to start with than the Amsoil EaO filter (new engine oil with initial change), thus the EaO was at a slight disadvantage to begin with. Additionally, I captured a sample of the OEM filter oil at 10,000 miles and will do the same at 10,000 miles for the Amsoil EaO filter. Thus two 1500 mile checks and two 10,000 mile checks.
As they say, I am not going back to the country after the results of the EaO filter... Be my guest if you wish but my engine is very, very happy with the EaO filter.. :) No more OEM oil filters for me! (nor any other brand at this point)

· Premium Member
545 Posts
What's the cost of an Amsoil Ea0 filter? I called five different parts stores and no can even carries Amsoil filters. I'm guessing it's fairly expensive versus paper? One thing to consider is the cost/return of going with a more expensive filter. Something to ask yerselves is, how long do you plan on keeping your truck? I ran a Tacoma 150,000 miles on paper filters with no engine problems whatsoever. I changed the oil every 5000 miles. That's a lot of filters and the cost would've been significantly higher if I would've been paying an extra $5 - $10 a filter. The benefit would've minimal given I wasn't the end user of that truck. My wife will be getting a new car in the not too distant future. I've been using Walmart oil and cheap filters knowing that it will be traded in shortly. George's test results are good info. But you guys might want to consider some simple economics if you don't plan on running yer truck for 300,000 miles. Just food for thought...

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Certainly cost vs. reward should enter the equation. There are those of us that simply want to "use the best" in our high cost vehicles. From a lube engineer's perspective, I have experienced again and again the long term benefits of "clean oil" vs. not so clean. And the price vs. overall cost scenario.

So, yes, for someone who wishes to use the lowest priced oil and filters, the Amsoil EaO oil filter is not for you..... Note, I did not say "lowest cost"...

For that person who wants to have the absolute best oil filter at a reasonable (to me) cost of around $12.00 and then use it for 10,000 mile drain intervals, then the EaO filter is *the* filter at this point in time. And no, the EaO filters are not as readily available as WalMart goods, so, again, definitely not for everyone.....
(NOT an Amsoil dealer, never have been: no association whatever other than now using their oil filters)

· Premium Member
2,846 Posts
And, keeping your oil clean is the cheapest engine longevity insurance you can buy.

Consider it in terms of cost per mile. As a "back of the envelope" check, consider driving 150,000 miles and changing the oil every 5,000 miles. Using the Amsoil filter ($15 or so) vs. the OEM Toyota filter ($5 or so) costs an extra $300 or so over those miles, which is an additional cost of 0.2 cents per mile. Compare that to the cost of gas. At 17 miles per gallon and $2.25 per gallon, that's about 13 cents per mile.

Methinks the additional cost for the additional insurance is peanuts.

Now, consider the advantages when you finally sell the vehicle. Look at it from the point of view of a prospective buyer. If he can buy two vehicles, namely yours and one other, that are identical in all respects except that yours has had exceptional care of the engine oil, which of the two would he want? Would he pay an additional $300 or more for yours?

There is no substitute for good maintenance, and sometimes the benefits are a mite hidden. But they are real.

· Registered
1,881 Posts
heres pix of my amsoil dual filtration,:tu:
If I had the 200 bucks to spend I'd get me one of those. Very nice little systems! Love the idea and I'm sure it looks good if you try to sell the truck too.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.