Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i finally did a drain and refill on my 06 tundra crew cab 2wd, i used amsoils new low viscosity atf for toyota ws. i drained a little more than 3 qts and put that exactly back in, it was very simple with help from my haynes manual. the reason im bothering even telling you this is because even just those 3qts, i noticed far smoother shifts, better than i ever remember with this truck. i will continue to use amsoil as i use it in every fluid in my truck my wifes mitsubishi and my honda atv. i know it sounds crazy i wasnt expecting it to shift so much better but i recommend it to anyone who is considering a transmission service soon, im going to do a drain and refill another 4 times at oil changes, it should be about 95% amsoil by then, im expecting good results each time, ill probably do a complete flush and drop the pan and filter replacement between 100k and150k miles......my point..... i recommend amsoil low viscosity atf........p.s. my truck has 48k miles for those curious and i do some average towing the four wheeler and such.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, theres a limited amount of companies that make a fluid compatible wthh toyota ws. i was just letting everyone know, this might be one of our best options....i guess they changed fluids when they went to the 5 speed auto

·
Registered
204 Posts
how much is the cost of the amsoils atf by the bottle cause i know toyota ws atf is around 12 to 13 around here.

WS can be bought off Ebay for less than $25 for 4 quarts

·
Forum Admin
8,250 Posts
how much is the cost of the amsoils atf by the bottle cause i know toyota ws atf is around 12 to 13 around here.
$9.75/qt, +shipping & tax

The product abbreviation is ATL. Amsoil has a different transmission fluid that goes by ATF. There's a link in my sig for Amsoil's main webpage.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have a preffered customer membership and i think it was around $30 for 4 qts after shipping and everything. a price im willing to pay for the ultimate protection and better driveability....and i believe extended drain intervals

·
Registered
917 Posts
i have a preffered customer membership and i think it was around $30 for 4 qts after shipping and everything. a price im willing to pay for the ultimate protection and better driveability....and i believe extended drain intervals
What Proof do you have to back up your claims? When I do a drain and fill I use 14 quarts. anything less is not going to do much. All your doing is diluting the product.

·
Registered
204 Posts
What Proof do you have to back up your claims? When I do a drain and fill I use 14 quarts. anything less is not going to do much. All your doing is diluting the product.
+1

really guys

Extended drain intervals?? SRSLY The owners manual already has WS listed as being a lifetime fluid or 100k in severe applications?

So how is dumping a volume of less than 1/4 of the total capacity of some high zoot amway brand fluid gonna make your trans mo betta?

Just buy the damn WS and don't play fluid Russian roulette on a $2000 powertrain part

·
Forum Admin
8,250 Posts
+1

really guys

Extended drain intervals?? SRSLY The owners manual already has WS listed as being a lifetime fluid or 100k in severe applications?

So how is dumping a volume of less than 1/4 of the total capacity of some high zoot amway brand fluid gonna make your trans mo betta?

Just buy the damn WS and don't play fluid Russian roulette on a $2000 powertrain part
cool post... do some homework.

The "high zoot" brands are found at your local autoparts stores.

WS trans fluid is made by Exxon/Mobil and distributed to Toyota for a sticker on the bottle. It's a low viscosity trans oil that has recently been duplicated. It's been only recently because there was no significant demand for it earlier.

AMSOIL Synthetic Fuel Efficient Automatic Transmission Fluid is recommended for automatic transmissions and other applications requiring DEXRON® VI, MERCON® LV, SP or Toyota WS. These trans fluids are used by GM, Ford, and Toyota.

If you want to not play roulette, then have your dealer service the transmission when the service is recommended.

And FYI, Amsoil is in no way related to Amway.

·
Registered
204 Posts

And and also being pushed by people on the interweb who've paid for the privilege of pettiling said product

WS trans fluid is made by Exxon/Mobil and distributed to Toyota for a sticker on the bottle. It's a low viscosity trans oil that has recently been duplicated. It's been only recently because there was no significant demand for it earlier.

Well someone has to make it. Toyota isn't in the petrochemical business

AMSOIL Synthetic Fuel Efficient Automatic Transmission Fluid is recommended for automatic transmissions and other applications requiring DEXRON® VI, MERCON® LV, SP or Toyota WS. These trans fluids are used by GM, Ford, and Toyota.

It puts up a big red flag for me anytime you have a specific fluid from a manufacturer getting replaced buy an aftermarket that's much more universal. Us jeep guys have learned this the hard way.

If you want to not play roulette, then have your dealer service the transmission when the service is recommended.

Which I should point out according to the owners manual is either NEVER or maaaaybe once in the vehicles lifetime
. How is Amsoil supposed to be better?

aside from their selling model?
the red is mine

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
i've drained and filled 8 quarts of the castrol hi mile. would it be advised to drain and refill with mobil 1 or royal purple to get some advantages of synthetic? or should i stay with what i started with? does it really matter? i see video of toyotas in outback australia and africa and wonder when, if ever, do they ever get good service and fluid changes....

·
Forum Admin
8,250 Posts

And and also being pushed by people on the interweb who've paid for the privilege of pettiling said product
Who's peddling what now? I peddle Toyota ever day on this forum. I also hand out experienced advice. If people choose to accept and use my advice, that's up to them. I'm not forcing anyone to do anything. Furthermore, I'm not paid sht to login to this forum. So bite me.:)

Well someone has to make it. Toyota isn't in the petrochemical business
If Toyota is selling petrochemicals in their storefront, which they are, then they are in the business.

It puts up a big red flag for me anytime you have a specific fluid from a manufacturer getting replaced buy an aftermarket that's much more universal. Us jeep guys have learned this the hard way.
So you're contradicting yourself here. If Mobil makes Toyota oil, then I'm supposed to buy Mobil1 oil or am I supposed to buy Toyota oil? Here's a red flag for you, Don't hold strong opinions about things you don't understand.

Which I should point out according to the owners manual is either NEVER or maaaaybe once in the vehicles lifetime
. How is Amsoil supposed to be better?
More opinionated garble. :tsk:
Go to this website, look up Tundra, 2005, 60,000mile service interval, show me where it says that. Then look up 120,000mile service interval and show me again. Toyota Parts and Service

Amsoil says 50,000mile interval for severe duty applications and 100,000mile interval for normal use. There's a glutton amount of information on their website which I'm not going to repeat here.

aside from their selling model?
I'm not very familiar with Amway. Was it successful?

the red is mine
Hi again, the blue is mine. Thanks! :ts:

·
Registered
819 Posts
I had my transmission fluid flushed/filled at 100,000 miles by my Toyota dealer for $160.

The good thing was that my transmission in my 2004 was shifting/working fine before the service, and is working the same, maybe a bit smoother/better afterwards. This is a good thing.

I thought my fluid looked good before the service, when I had checked it after the new fluid was put in, I could hardly see the pink on the stick.

·
Registered
204 Posts
NOTICE

Using automatic transmission fluid other than "Toyota Genuine ATF WS" may cause deterioration in shift quality, locking up of your transmission accompanied by vibration, and ultimately damage the automatic transmission of your vehicle

Toyota was so adamant about this not only did they put the above warning on page 488 of the 2006 owners manual but they also omitted a dipstick provision to help ensure folks wouldn't dump whatever red fluid they could find in there.

Amsoil says 50,000mile interval for severe duty applications and 100,000mile interval for normal use. There's a glutton amount of information on their website which I'm not going to repeat here.
So you're saying the Amsoil ATF service interval is shorter than Toyota WS.
Also on page 488

Change automatic fluid only as necessary. Generally it is necessary to change automatic fluid ONLY IF the vehicle is driven under one of the special operating conditions listed in your "Scheduled maintenance guide" <And twice on pg 488> When changing automatic transmission fluid use only "Toyota Genuine ATF WS"

The special condition is if you tow you have a 60K service interval. Otherwise you don't have one using WS

Sounds to me like someone should have read the owners manual before buying the sales propaganda "hook line and sinker"

So you're contradicting yourself here. If Mobil makes Toyota oil, then I'm supposed to buy Mobil1 oil or am I supposed to buy Toyota oil? Here's a red flag for you, Don't hold strong opinions about things you don't understand.
Mr smarty pants you tell me how exactly when DEXRON® VI, MERCON® LV, SP fluids ARE NOT compatible with WS how the Amsoil fluid is universally compatable and yet retains all the same properties of WS. Or perhaps the best course of action for you would be to not hold strong opinions about things you don't understand.;)

·
Registered
739 Posts
im going to service my transmission soon replace filter fluids etc etc what should i replace it with royal purple, Amsoil, Valvoline atf, :ts:

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
You boys be talking some smack! If you two were at a bar, by now you would be standing up, in each others face jabbing your fingers at each other. Heheheheh I love a good fight - last time I saw a bar fight, I went home with one of their women. She was so disgusted with her nitwit boyfriend.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts