Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about doing a complete transmision flush and fill with Amsoil synthetic ATF in a 2004 Tundra. Amsoil website says it is compatible with Toyota T-IV.

Has anyone tried this yet? Any sucesses?

Thanks

·
Registered
83 Posts
I would like to know the answer too, and actually if a "T-IV compatible" fluid can be MIXED w/ the Toyota T-IV (in case of just a drain/refill).

I have seen VALVOLINE ATF that specifically says on the bottle "compatible w/ Toyota T-IV". Still sceptical if I can mix it w/ the original tranny fluid.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I have an '03 with the T-IV fluid. I swapped to Amsoil when I bought the truck and did another change at 30K. No problems.

If a fluid says compatible, you can mix. Haven't used the Valvoline, but if it's compatible, go ahead and use it.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Best not to mix as different fluids can use different additive packages and still meet the T-IV requirements. Personally, I would have no problems running the Amsoil Universal ATF... but if you are uncomfortable, then stick with the Toyota OEM fluid. I'm currently running Amsoil in my wife's '04 Highlander (80+k miles) and it shifts more smooth now than it did when it was running the OEM Toyota.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
If it helps, I've been running Amsoil ATF in my 00. I had OD planetary gears go at about 60-70K (known weakness in 00-02 trannies) I now have about 160K on the truck, and it's been 100K since I changed the ATF last. That Amsoil ATF is good stuff.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I am contemplating replacing the entire 10 odd quarts of T-IV and putting in Amsoil syn ATF in my 2K6 Highlander.

I know Amsoil is far superior to T-IV (Amsoil also has tested their fluid to T-IV spec) but then the whole warranty thingy is pushing the fluid exchange...

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I am contemplating replacing the entire 10 odd quarts of T-IV and putting in Amsoil syn ATF in my 2K6 Highlander.

I know Amsoil is far superior to T-IV (Amsoil also has tested their fluid to T-IV spec) but then the whole warranty thingy is pushing the fluid exchange...
So a 2006 Higlander uses T-IV ATF? figured it would use the WS like 06 D/C? which is a synthetic ATF to start with! and no one makes a substitute yet for WS!

·
Registered
1 Posts
2k tundra 211k miles switched totally to Amsoil at 30k - tranny -diff's and eng.
So far all I have replaced is the timing belt - front brakes - a headlamp and the fuel fill door(hinge broke).

·
Registered
8 Posts
2k tundra 211k miles switched totally to Amsoil at 30k - tranny -diff's and eng.
So far all I have replaced is the timing belt - front brakes - a headlamp and the fuel fill door(hinge broke).
So you never replaced the engine oil since 30k miles? WOW... must be really good stuff. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I Put Mobil 1 In And Do Most All My Own Work To Everything And Let Me Tell You "take In And Have It Done" You Need To Do This At The Cooler To Do It Correctly And Its A Bit And Mess And You Will Go Through More Fluid Then Then You Think.

·
Registered
114 Posts
If it helps, I've been running Amsoil ATF in my 00. I had OD planetary gears go at about 60-70K (known weakness in 00-02 trannies) I now have about 160K on the truck, and it's been 100K since I changed the ATF last. That Amsoil ATF is good stuff.
Hi Mike;
I also have the 2000 and have been using Amzoil ATF all the way except for the first few thousand miles. Only have 40k on it now and no problems. Do some occasional fairly heavy towing with OD off.
Did you have Amzoil in the tranny when the planetary went?
Dave

·
Registered
96 Posts
Specifically what Exact type of amsoil or motor 1 synthetic would you guys use on an 01 tundra. Theres are so many diferent types of the mobil 1 i left auto zone confused! Any info is appreciated

·
Registered
568 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you're looking for Amsoil a good place to start is online
AMSOIL application guide
The 1st listed oil or filter is the preferred one, but you could choose other recommended oil or filter depending on your needs.

I use Amsoil universal automatic transmission fluid since 2002 in both Highlander and Tundra (did a complete flush). For engine oil 5w30, though for the last 2 years I use 0w30. Make sure you know more about mixing different types of fluids. I'd recommend consulting with your friendly local Amsoil dealer before you proceed, or call Amsoil directly or PM me if you have any questions about Amsoil products or ordering.

Alex
Independent Amsoil Dealer

Specifically what Exact type of amsoil or motor 1 synthetic would you guys use on an 01 tundra. Theres are so many diferent types of the mobil 1 i left auto zone confused! Any info is appreciated

1 - 18 of 18 Posts