I know that this will not appeal to all of you. I was not happy with the
plain silver dash, and console area's in my Tundra Limited. I wanted
something to change the look. The dash change options for our
trucks is pretty limited. It is basically, paint it a different color, do
the carbon fiber, or install the fake wood like I did. Since I have the
Tan and Brown interior, the wood was my choice. I am happy with my
choice, and it is holding up very well. I ordered it from one of the online
Toyota parts dealers, and it was around $225.00 shipped. It included the
dash, console, and all 4 door pieces. Was very easy to install also.
I have attached a few pictures so you can get an idea of what it looks
like. Again, I know that not all of you will like my choice, just wanted
to show another option, that some of you may find likeable.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a cover that is applied with 3M tape. The tape is already on the covers when
they arrive. Fit and coverage is excellent. The pieces are custom moulded to the
exact shape of the dash, console, and door areas. No sqeaks, rattles, buzzes or
anything like that.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I know that this will not appeal to all of you. I was not happy with the
plain silver dash, and console area's in my Tundra Limited. I wanted
something to change the look. The dash change options for our
trucks is pretty limited. It is basically, paint it a different color, do
the carbon fiber, or install the fake wood like I did. Since I have the
Tan and Brown interior, the wood was my choice. I am happy with my
choice, and it is holding up very well. I ordered it from one of the online
Toyota parts dealers, and it was around $225.00 shipped. It included the
dash, console, and all 4 door pieces. Was very easy to install also.
I have attached a few pictures so you can get an idea of what it looks
like. Again, I know that not all of you will like my choice, just wanted
to show another option, that some of you may find likeable.

I like that a lot.

Which online dealer and what type of "wood' is yours supposed to be?

Thanks

Mark

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
I hope you never have to take it off because the 3m tape will take the paint off of the original panels. However, I think it looks awesome. I think it matches great with the tan and brown. Good job man and thanks for sharing. Unfortunatly, I have the stupid gray leather so it wouldn't work in my truck.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Hey i think that looks really good man. Great match, im actually looking into getting a dash kit like that one. Ive got the same interior so i wanted to know what kind of "wood" it is?

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
I'm not a wood dash guy but it looks cool :)

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
if i had found a wood dash kit for the same price as my fake CF kit i would have done it too...that looks great. looks like the same fit as my CF stuff....and there was tons of 3M tape on the back of mine..thats the hardest part is pulling the dam backing off.....

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I went to the site where I bought this kit, and apparently they no longer carry it. I did find it on another
site, and have posted the link below. Price is now $246.50. They carry the kits for all models. Sparks also
carries a similar kit, but it does not cover as much as this one. It still leaves a lot of the silver areas exposed.
Hope that I have not violated any forum rules by posting this link. Sorry in advance, if I have.
Once this is installed properly, I see no reason for ever taking it off, so I am not worried about any paint coming
off with the adhesive tape. The material it is made from is a rigid moulded plastic of some type with the woodgrain
pattern moulded into it. It has been on my truck for several months, and I have had no issues with it coming loose,
scratching, or making any noise. I had already scratched the silver paint in a couple of places without even knowing
how. I am really anal about my truck, and was not happy with how easily the silver paint was to damage. There is
only one color of wood available. It looks like burl walnut to me. I think Toyota calls it redwood.

Toyota Accessories Cheap - Toyota Accessories Cheap

·
Registered
404 Posts
Wow, I didn't know Lexus made a truck!....j/k. I think it actually looks pretty nice and goes well with the beige leather.

-Wes

·
Registered
175 Posts
I got the same kit...one of those wifey requests (eh, looks good in my Sequoia, but not sure about in my truck...better than that bright silver though). Mine doesn't look as good as yours though, when I installed it, stupid thing kept sticking where I didn't want it to. Now that I know better, I would have popped the parts out of the truck and done it on a table top. Plus, I've busted into my dash some many times (stereo changes, hypertech, etc.) I keep catching an edge of the wood sticker and bent a corner up.

How did you get it to bend on the bottom of the window control? Heat gun?

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
I got the same kit...one of those wifey requests (eh, looks good in my Sequoia, but not sure about in my truck...better than that bright silver though). Mine doesn't look as good as yours though, when I installed it, stupid thing kept sticking where I didn't want it to. Now that I know better, I would have popped the parts out of the truck and done it on a table top. Plus, I've busted into my dash some many times (stereo changes, hypertech, etc.) I keep catching an edge of the wood sticker and bent a corner up.

How did you get it to bend on the bottom of the window control? Heat gun?
since i think my CF kit is similar enough, i'll respond...

my kit came with a spray solution to spray the dash down after the prep wipe..it allowed the tape to move and slide around and release if it stuck in the wrong spot...kinda similar to soap and water behind a decal...anyway if it werent for that, the instrument panel would have been a biitch. but with the spray it worked fine....

door portions....mine stuck out a little as well at first...i went back with a heat gun (hair dryer actually) and put another thin strip of 3m tape right in there and then taped it down with masking tape for a few hours and it worked perfectly...mine kept catching my finger when i opened the little storage door under the window control ( i keep my garage door opener in there)..but not anymore.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all of the positive feedback, am glad that I was able to share something that adds a
different look.

To sixfour: Yes, first, I cleaned the dash per the instructions, with cleaner that came with the kit.
Then I dry-fitted it to see how everything would line up. Then removed the backing from the 3M tape
and cafefully applied it to the dash, working from the center out using a little pressure. Then, I took
an old hair dryer that my ex forgot, and uniformly went over the entire area while applying pressure
with an old t shirt. (to minimize and potential scratches, was not sure at that point how easily it might
scratch. Found out that it is pretty durable, and I have not scratched it so far). I just use a damp
cloth to wipe it off every once in a while. Still looks as good as the day that I installed it several
months ago.

Almost forgot, as Barney said, I did use the spray solution that came with the kit on
the dash just prior to application. Gives you an extra minute or so to make adjustments before the
tape really takes hold. Thanks Barney for reminding me of that step. I hate getting older and having
one of those senior moments. Damn, now what did I have for lunch today.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I also am not a huge fan of plastic wood but it does look pretty good. Not a huge fan of the silver dash either....

Now how about changing out the shifter for the TRD version??

·
Registered
175 Posts
damn it! Mine didn't come with detailed instructions, just a one page diagram with no prep work description or approach. No spray either, just a couple of alcohol wipes which didn't last past the instrument cluster. I did do the dry run probably could have taken more time to think about my approach, but I wasn't really into this mod to begin with.

Good info for the next guy though! Or if I ever get around to redoing it...I am going to fix switch area, thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
60 Posts
That looks really good. I have the same color interior, would like to do the same to mine, I'm not crazy about the silver either.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Looks good, but I would want a door handle kit that matched. The silver handles kind of look funny with the wood grain.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts