Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Mr. MaCocky
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By this time tomorrow night I will be on my way to Chicago. I will arrive there about 0500 their time. From ORD (O’Hare) I shall drive up to Great Lakes and onto the RTC base to watch my son’s graduation from Navy boot camp.

He had a pretty rough go of it. He’s 23 and very large, about 6 feet 4. He had the typical case of pneumonia, the common battles with stress fractures in his legs and the normal humiliating experiences that go with boot but it looks like he made it through with flying colors.

He was promoted to Petty Officer 3rd class and assigned 1st section leader which means he gets to wear a crow and be right out in front during PIR. What it really means is that if he screws up everybody will see it! Sometimes it’s better to be in the middle of the pack. :D

Later guys and gals

Andy

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Andy, I made that trip about 6 years ago. My oldest son graduated in January. I flew from Orlando to Chicago, rented a car and made the drive up to Great Lakes. Very, very cold!

Great ceremony and an emotional experience for me!

Have a great trip!

·
Premium Member
3,254 Posts
Congrats to your son Andy! I know you must be an extremely proud Papa.

I too would like to commend the great achievement that your son has accomplished and give our homeland for its security.

Have a wonderful and safe trip!

Respectfully,
Dan

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Congratulations!!!

I wish you and him the best of luck at graduation! He'll do just fine, I'm sure.

My wife is there right now too. Not for boot camp, but on Great Lakes touring the base for a possible next tour.

Where's your son off to next? More school I'm sure!

Take care,
Andy

GO NAVY!!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
CONGRATS!!! to your son and certainly you, the proud papa!

My best wishes to him on his future endeavors.....he is sure to have many a memorable experience while he helps defend our nation.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Congrats.
I did 20+ (SS) and wouldn't trade it for anything. You have a lot to be proud of and your son is in for the adventure of his life.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Andy

Congrats to you and your son! He embarks on a honorable and worthy quest...the defense of this great country along with the preservation of freedom and democracy. As I rap up 22+ years as an officer in the U.S. Air Force, it is comforting to know that selfless young men and women continue to fill the ranks of our military forces. The path he has chosen in life will not be an easy one, but very rewarding indeed! I salute you both.

Godspeed!

BamBam :D :cool: :rolleyes:

·
Mr. MaCocky
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’m back, 19 hours late but I’m back safe and sound. What a trip! I shall expound on this in a bit but first I would like to thank all of you for your good wishes and thanks. It really means a lot to me to have people that care. You guys are the best and I truly mean that.

Everything went smooth getting into Chicago. If I hadn’t blown right past the RTC the trip would have been flawless. It wasn’t my fault really. Honest, it wasn’t! :D Ya see, the sun was in my eyes, the car I rented was really strange to me ( it was a Chrysler Sebring) and the map that the Navy sent to me was WRONG!

Graduation was great, to say the least. These kids are sharp, real sharp! Kids hell, in my sons division the recruit’s ages ran from 18 to 32. The level of pride is astounding. It brought back some great, and some not too great, memories for me. Although I wasn’t an anchor clanker I did spend 10 fun filled weeks at Paris Island.

I expected a great change in Kevin (my boy) but I never really expected him to have the level of pride he now possesses. Also, for the first time in his 23 years he can beat his old man in an arm wrestle, both with the left and the right arm. Damn I’m getting old!

They level of pride he carries with him, both on and off base, is astronomical. He also is really getting off the fact that the ladies seem to love a 6’4” mountain in uniform, be it dress whites or even working whites.

Where does he go from here, you ask? Pensacola, Florida for about a year and a half. Prior to enlistment he tested for and was accepted into “Air Crew” which is an “elite” branch of the USN. P3s are where he’s heading. He really wants those wings. He’ll be in P-Cola for his “A”, “B”, and “C” schools and most of all his other training as well. I don’t think he’s really looking forward to HALO training but he wasn’t looking forward to the gas chamber either and he made it through that without puking his guts out! :D He’ll be fine.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Lazy Ace

It's great to hear all went well for you and Kevin........as an aviator I can tell you, your son will have a blast in the "flying" business.

Congrats and best wishes! :D

BamBam :D :cool: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
although i never served, my father was Navy. reading this thread makes me even more proud to live in such a great nation with fine men & women protecting us all.

Godspeed to your son as he embarcs on yet another mission in life. i too believe that he'll make it thru just as he did with the gas chamber.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts