Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2002 Tundra we has another blown tranmission after 25,000 miles:cry: we think. The first problem occurred at 78,000, had it replaced with a toyota rebuilt tran and now after 25,000 it will not go into reverse. Took it the dealer and the transmission pan had all kinds of metal in it which I guess indicated we will be replacing transmission again. We are not very suavy on how to fix cars and why they break down. But we are very good a maintenance, etc. Can anyone give me an idea of why and how this could happen? I am alittle concerned because while the truck doesn't have reverse my hubby is still driving it until we figure out what to do. We live in a small rural town and he is planning to drive 250 miles home with this possibly bad transmission. Is this a good idea?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Is there any warrantee left on the tranny?

Something went very wrong inside and the only way to find out what exactly went wrong is to tear it down. Unless it was abused, i'd say it was a manufacturer's error on a part for reverse and if there's that much debri in the pan, i wouldn't drive it for a long distance or at least out of a tow truck's reach because it is a matter of time before the shaving do major damage to the rest of the internals of the tranny. 25K is a fair amount of miles for them to give you a new one for free but hopefully they'll give a pro-rated price.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Another failure can happen if they didn't flush out the cooler on the first trans replacement.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts