Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys so once again I have a problem with my truck.

A few months ago I had the belt replaced under one of the TSB's because it was chirping. About two days after, I started to have this problem which are in the videos. The problem has been escalating, at first it would happen only during cold mornings at about 65 degrees and below. But now it happens roughly 75% whenever I start the engine no matter temperatures.

It is very loud squeeking noises that look like its coming from the fan. I think that the gears within the fans aren't coming together so there just rubbing over each other without latching on. I don't know if that made sense but its my guess. Also I noticed a burning stench, it smells like burning rubber. I'm bringing it in for service sometime this week and I have a question if this may be covered under warrenty. My 3 yr 36,00 mile warrenty is gone but will the engine warrenty cover this?

OK here are the vids, both are at cold start ups.
Number One
Heres a start up with a small fan "slip" then runs normally. Notice how fast the fan turns after the "slipping" corrects itself.

Number Two
I finally got this EXTREME case on video. This used to only last about 10 seconds but now it has clearly gotten worse. The video does not do this justice. It is very very loud, I had to cover my ears while taping this and I'm pretty sure the whole damn neighborhood wakes up. Sorry for the dark video I took it this morning but I shot the same area as the previous video.

HELP & INPUT PLEASE:(

·
Registered
330 Posts
Man to me it sounds like the belt is to tight!

·
Registered
598 Posts
Something is not aligned right, or a bad bearing somewhere. I think this would be covered under the powertrain warranty... I hope!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Either they put the wrong belt on it (to long) or the tensioner is bad.The belt is slipping badly in the second vid.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes in the work invoice it said belt and tensioner.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hmm, sounds like something is seizing. I'd guess alternator or water pump, but it could really be anything with a pulley.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
That second vid is weird for sure.... Like you coolant pump was froze or something.... and it finally gave loose and got right...
Possibly your fan clutch as well....

I so wish I could rid of that clutch driven fan, in trade for a factory warrantied e-fan setup...

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Also... you engine looks shiny.... too clean...
What are you cleaning it with?

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haha thanks! I just hose the engine down, then spray it with diluted simple green and scrub everything with a brush. Thats it :)

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Haha thanks! I just hose the engine down, then spray it with diluted simple green and scrub everything with a brush. Thats it :)
Off topic and purely just sticking it out there... But SG has some very corrosive properties, if not mixed well.... I actually use it in a strong formula to cut the wax on my boats.... as well as clean other metals....

Although I don't think it's you problem, But I would not put it near your truck.... It can eat and kill rubber if left for a decent period of time....

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Hmm, sounds like something is seizing. I'd guess alternator or water pump, but it could really be anything with a pulley.
My thoughts too... does your A/C work okay? I had one seize in an older car about 12 years ago, and it burned up my belt in no time...

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Pull the belt off and turn everything by hand to see what's going on.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
AC works fine everything is just fine but I don't know whats up! Its in the shop now and I'm waiting to see what they have to say.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
AC works fine everything is just fine but I don't know whats up! Its in the shop now and I'm waiting to see what they have to say.
most likely u arent getting it covered underwarranty. powertrain warranty wont cover something like a belt, or a tensioner, or a fan most likely just the actual engine internals and the tranny....all the more reason to get a platinum extended warranty. let us know how much this little bogger of a noise is gonna cost.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Total Cost: zero. Apparently the "Drive Tensioner Not Holding Tension" and it was replaced under warrenty. I'm pretty sure that my warrenty is up and the only reason it was free of charge was that they found out one of their techs must have screwed up. I took it to the same guys as before so hopefully everything is fine now. Will update if it persists!

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Yea i had a belt go bad at 30K and then started to chirp again at 38K, they replaced it free of charge.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Total Cost: zero. Apparently the "Drive Tensioner Not Holding Tension" and it was replaced under warrenty. I'm pretty sure that my warrenty is up and the only reason it was free of charge was that they found out one of their techs must have screwed up. I took it to the same guys as before so hopefully everything is fine now. Will update if it persists!
Glad to hear you had a positive experience that noise was hideous.

·
Registered
101 Posts
try getting a spray bottle with some water in in and spray one of the pulleys (between the belt and the pulley) whle someone cranks it. If the squeaking goes away, you know it's probably the belt.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for you input guys!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts