Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did about a +-1200 mile trip this weekend to pick up a motorcycle.

While doing a quick check on Thursday, noticed my front pads were getting low. Wheels and pads removed in under 10 minutes, exchanged pads at the Vato Zone and re-installed in another 30.....including drive time to and from AZ.

Mixed emotions for sure.......3rd set in 50K, but easier to change than a light bulb. (and they're free for life)

Drove the 1st 500+ miles on Friday averaging speeds that would cause the righteous do-gooders to cringe.:eek: Let's make a deal: Whiners obey the myriad of signs stating "SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT" and we'll all get along just fine.:D

Stopped at what I think is one of the best rib joints in the world. If you get a chance to go to "Old South BBQ" in Concord, Ca. please check it out. Tell Charles (the owner) Jack from Vegas sent you.

Picked up my bike in Chico, Ca. on Sat. morning.........probably less than 400 pounds of cargo total and she fit in the bed sideways with the tailgate locked.

From there, I'd have to look up the highways; but we kind of just headed East by Southeast.

While EFFORTLESSLY climbing some beautiful mountain roads, I'd see trails every so often. Told wifey to hang on as I started descending a pretty neat trail that was steep enough to use 4WD to come up.

Some paradoxical sightings: Was hoping to see some mountain fresh stream at the bottom but instead was greeted by what looked like a miniature man made log ride.

Also saw a chain linked fence around a 15' diameter hole that appeared to be bottomless!!! (never heard the rock I threw hit anything!!) It was neat, but i was hoping for a more "secluded" feeling.

Drove around Donner Lake...told my wife the story of Donner Pass; grossed her out...LOL!!

Hit Lake Tahoe.....FARKIN' GORGEOUS but akin to a weekend at Disneyland with all the people!!! Saw thousands (millions??) of people on all sorts of rafts floating down the river.

Even though it looked like fun, I'm not much for crowds.

Ended up in Virginia City.....Hoss and Little Joe weren't there (only us old bastads' know what I'm talking about;))

Then went to check out Carson City.......YAWN!!!

On my way to find the main highway home (looking for highway 95) I passed a guy doing 60ish in a 65. Of course when the 5.7 drops a few gears, 85 happens in a heart beat.

As I'm pulling back into my lane, about 1/8 of a mile ahead there's the unmistakable lightbar and the grill of a Ford Explorer......whoops!!!

I see him dynamite his brakes so I just pull over.

Takes him a while to make his u-turn and catch up to me where I'm pulled waaaay off the road for his safety.

As he approaches, I hand him my reg and other papers and tell him that was sure some bad timing! He laughs and tells me he's got me locked in at 82......told him sounds about right.

Tells me to slow it down and have a nice day.....:eek::eek: :beavbutt:

During the 2nd to last gas stop, I reset the trip meter. Did a quick top off at 111 miles (man, the wife has a small bladder!!) that was the only time I checked MPG...... 85 on cruise control, with a small load, she got nearly 18 MPG!!! Figure my OVERALL average of 14.4 via trip computer is fantastic with my driving habits!!!

So, except for my trucks hunger for brake pads (still no warpage, even though I did surface them on the 2nd set of pads) and the lazy clock when it gets hot, She's STILL the best VEHICLE I've ever owned.

Kind of makes me sad in that I'm close to her 1/2 life concerning the warranty.....guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Almost forgot, did I mention I LOVE this truck???!!!!!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Man, there's only one thing wrong with this trip? You didn't invite me to come along!!! Hehehehehehee

I love good BBQ!!!!! I've always wanted to see Tahoe and the sorts also. Maybe one day though. Glad to see the Officer was cool too. Really enjoyed the read, thanks for posting!!!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
That is one heck of a long road trip, what brand/model motorcycle did you pickup?

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Nice road trip... we just completed a 850-miler a few weeks ago, from Detroit to Chicago, then back by way of spending 1.5 days cruising the west coast of Michigan (Saugatuck, Holland, Grand-Haven). I averaged around 16.5 during the trip, but I was robbed by approx 3hrs of gridlocked expressway around Chicago, which definitely killed my mileage (I HATE HATE HATE driving around Chicago!).

I know what you mean man... I love my truck too. I really enjoy driving in it, and I love the compliments I get whenever my buddies hop in.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Awesome road trip.
I did a trip last month from Houston, TX to Yellowstone, WY/MT and sadly with a 2010 Tacoma pulling my 27' TT that weighed approx. 5K #'s and with a tongue wt. of 525#'s. Although the Tacoma came factory equipped with the tow pack and rated to tow 6500#'s, it suffered from being underpowered especially when dealing with cross / head winds and mountains. Constant downshifting to 3rd and just down right labored. I avg when going 10 MPG and on the way back 7 to 8 MPG and this is doing 65 to 70.
On the bright side, the trip itself was amazing, but the driving aspect (when pulling the trailer) made for a very poor experience. Bottomline, I now have the 5.7 Tunda and couldn't be happier. It's like the trailer is not even there of course except when it's windy, you'll feel a bit.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is one heck of a long road trip, what brand/model motorcycle did you pickup?

Thanks everyone for the replies!!!:tu:

And to TS, next time I'll invite you.......plenty of space in the Crew Cab was unused.:D

About the "prize":

Just recently sold an '04 ZX12R that was so far beyond my abilities (and I've been riding/racing for 38+ years) that I was actually more concerned with staying out of trouble than riding. 170 MPH was common on that bike and there was a lot left. Again, for the Dudley-Doo-Rights, we're in the Nevada desert were there's sometimes 20+ miles of straight road with no cross streets or traffic.

So I thought back to my teen years and I had a KZ 650 and later the 4 cylinder KZ 750, which were da' bomb back in the day, (later bought the 1st Ninja, a story for another day) but a lot of my group had Yamaha RD's.......little 400 cc two strokes that gave me fits.

So I went shopping for an RD or RZ as a fun bike to goof around on.......found a very clean, 16,000 mile, '85 RZ 350. Last year of the 2 strokes, water cooled and a tad more "refined" than the RD's (if you can call a screaming, wheelie prone 2 stroke "refined".....LOL!!!

A bike that I feel is 100% bottomed out value wise and may actually increase in value as the number starts to dwindle. A bike with an incredible following. And a bike that uses a lot of the same engine parts as the Banshee quad. Lastly, a bike where on a deserted road I can do wheelies and not be doing near 100 MPH in 1st gear!!!

I guess I'm getting old......:beatsme: :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts