Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! Good deal, or no deal-
2003 white Tundra AC SR5 TRD (Outdoors Edition)?? 150,000 miles, original owner, all service records, synthetic oil since new, Nada lists clean trade in $9,700 and clean retail $12,300 and he has listed "MUST SELL! $10,200

Essentially I am in the market for a Tundra for under $10K. I have seen several 2000 year Tundra's with all sorts of milage go for around 9-10K.

Also, the TRD sticker displays "Outdoor Edition" just below it and looks to be in camo. Anyone seen this before?? I sure haven't. I attached a pic that shows the TRD sticker for your viewing pleasure. The owner states it is a real TRD with LSD. I haven't ran the VIN yet, but that is my next step.

Anyhow, good deal or no deal? I am thinking of offering $9,500.

Thanks,
Kelly

·
Registered
87 Posts
150,000 miles...........seems like alot for an 03. It looks like a good truck but that high miles would make me pause a long time before pulling the trigger.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Posting Pic..has anyone heard or seen of the TRD Outdoors Edition?
Never seen this sticker setup? LSD should have sticker on back side of rear end but possibly could have come off? Do a Vin # maintenance history check from the dealer just ask him run a history on the vin # to see what he can pull up completed maintenance as far as Timing Belt, water pump, recalls? high mielage will affect price, i purchased a 93 PU 4x4 with 140K on it and i got it for 8100.00 and book was 10,500.00 due to high mielage, has 234K on it now and only recently did routine maintenance PS Pump, Water Pump,Timing Belt. Running better than when i bought it!!:tu:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Appreciate everyone's comments guys! I sent him an offer of $8700 and he hasn't come back. It has been on the market for a month now, so he may bite. Seriosly though, it does have 150k on it. So in some regards, the book value sort of goes out the window in my opinion. I have always told myself I would never get into a vehicle with this many miles, but then lately I have found myself browsing older T100's and Tacoma's, even early model Tundra's with a crap load of miles. I think if the maintenance is kept up with, I shouldn't have too much to be scared of. Besides, if I stick to my price and something does seriously go wrong, I can put a motor into it and not want to shoot myself. Still waiting for VIN number so I can call my dealer, but am damn curious as to what the "TRD Outdoors Edition" is all about.

I would really like to hear from other Tundra owners on this truck. Especially the ones that have bought something similiar with a bunch of miles :)

Kelly

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey there! man, that is a good question....Do LSD's statistically have issues when they get up there in milage? I suppose the only way to know is to have the fluid drained and check for metal shavings. Can anyone comment on the LSD wear issue?

Im anxious to hear back from this guy. Trying not to get my hopes up..I have done that too many times already through this Tundra shopping experience..lol

·
Registered
561 Posts
i'm thinking that if the lsd equipped on there is the same as the lsd available through trd as an upgrade for our tundras, the gears or clutches or however it is equipped with will eventually wear down.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Keep looking you can do much better. Tundra never had an "outdoors edition" ?That is just a decal. The miles are at least twice what they should be, and if the the timing belt was';nt done the way it should have been many miles ago you are looking at at least another 700 bucks.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
This being a TRD i suppose it has 4wd and 4.7L which your low NADA price would only be for a 2 wheel drive and the 4wd price is just over 11,900.00, good offer though!! Here is a quote for a 4x4 model Used Car Value 150K miles is a group but Toyotas hold their value with the best!! Big sticker for me would be getting the VIN# and checking to make sure it had maintenance done on it or NO DEAL!! Kinda like going to vegas and think you will win?? probably will hit CRAPS without doing homework on high mielage vehicle!! That sticker is bogus but if the TRD stickers are not itis a 4wd for sure and like the link said 11,900.00 low deal but you gave him a good offer and a good down payment if he is buying an 07!! Vehicle history is biggest player here for me and if i could not find any i would not offer what you offered!! Good luck!! truck if taken care of should have 200K in it possibly!!

·
Registered
573 Posts
I don't believe any TRD package came with those wheels either on AC cabs.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey folks! The guy replied last night and said he could go $9500. And he did mention that his "New" truck would be in next week, so that is the reason he is selling the Tundra. I think I will walk on this truck and keep looking though. It is almost a concensus that this truck has too many miles. I mean it is cheap for that year, but how much life is really left in a truck with 150K? This is what I need to ask myself.

Thanks again for all the great comments and advice!

Kelly

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Those wheels are just like my 06DC wheels!! That TRD sticker looks bogus since i enhanced it to look at the sticker below that you mentioned! If it's not a 4x4x i would pass and since he did not wanta deal let him keep her!!:)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ive been talking to this guy over email about this truck some more and I called the dealership that he serviced the truck at. The only think it came in for was a fuel neck filler recall and that was it. There is no record of timing chain or water pump and he admited that he didn't do it. Im glad I researched this deal thouroughly before jumping in.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Ive been talking to this guy over email about this truck some more and I called the dealership that he serviced the truck at. The only think it came in for was a fuel neck filler recall and that was it. There is no record of timing chain or water pump and he admited that he didn't do it. Im glad I researched this deal thouroughly before jumping in.
So good for you on doing your homework i feel you made correct decision and your pocket book will feel the same. he can trade and come out!! was it a real TRD 4x4? NO BJ recall done ?

·
Registered
263 Posts
It looks like he swapped rims from a DC and added some bogus TRD decal. A true TRD OFF Road pkg. would have had the fender flares, and that truck has the chrome arch moldings which indicates to me that it's just an SR5.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
yea he knows Toyota will not give him close to what he wants for trade and wants to take advantage of the first person he can!! He knows he can MAYBE find someone to take to the cleaners and probably will!!:td:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts