Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know 87 regular is fine for the Tundra 5.7.

Will i get better mileage with 89 or 93 (91 not offered here)?

if so is the price difference per gallon worth it?

·
Registered
226 Posts
No....If 87 is the recommended octane than that is what will get you the best bang for the buck. Search through the threads. There is already all the info you need by scrolling down a page or two.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I know 87 regular is fine for the Tundra 5.7.

Will i get better mileage with 89 or 93 (91 not offered here)?

if so is the price difference per gallon worth it?
I dunno man alot of people feel pretty strongly about this. I use Amoco/BP 93 octane in all my NEW VEHICLES. In '95 I used all brands in my corvette, and I swear I got better gas mileage and better performance in that LT-1 from the Amoco supreme. Since then-that's what I go with. Oh yeah and over 200k on that motor when I sold it-and it would still lay a block of rubber. I put any old cheap 87 in my '93 honda accord se and plan on riding her out past 400k so go figure?

·
Registered
209 Posts
I dunno man alot of people feel pretty strongly about this. I use Amoco/BP 93 octane in all my NEW VEHICLES. In '95 I used all brands in my corvette, and I swear I got better gas mileage and better performance in that LT-1 from the Amoco supreme. Since then-that's what I go with. Oh yeah and over 200k on that motor when I sold it-and it would still lay a block of rubber. I put any old cheap 87 in my '93 honda accord se and plan on riding her out past 400k so go figure?
Top Tier Detergent Gasoline
TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is a recently established new standard for gasoline performance. Four of the world's top automakers, BMW, General Motors, Honda, and Toyota recognize that the current EPA minimum detergent requirements do not go far enough to ensure optimal engine performance.
Since the minimum additive performance standards were first established by EPA in 1995, most gasoline marketers have actually reduced the concentration level of detergent additive in their gasoline by up to 50%. As a result, the ability of a vehicle to maintain stringent Tier 2 emission standards have been hampered, leading to engine deposits which can have a big impact on in-use emissions and driver satisfaction.
These automakers have raised the bar. TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline help drivers avoid lower quality gasoline which can leave deposits on critical engine parts, which reduces engine performance. That’s something both drivers and automakers want to avoid.
TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline Retailers
Gasoline retailers must meet the high TOP TIER standards with all grades of gasoline to be approved by the automakers as providing TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline.
In addition, all gasoline outlets carrying the brand of the approved retailer must meet the TOP TIER standards.
Additional gasoline retailers are added to the TOP TIER list as they meet the standards. The retailers known to be on the TOP TIER list are shown below.
TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers:
QuikTrip
Chevron
Conoco
Phillips
Shell
Entec Stations
MFA Oil Company
Kwik Trip/Kwik Star
The Somerset Refinery, Inc.
Chevron-Canada
Aloha Petroleum
Tri-Par Oil Company
Shell-Canada
Texaco
Petro-Canada
Sunoco-Canada
I just learned something!!how about that if Amoco is not top tier then I'll switch to chevron.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts