Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever I first starting moving, I hear and feel something clunk in the undercarriage, not too loud but very repeatible. It happens when I am at maybe 5mph. I mainly feel it thought the accelerator pedal. Anyone else?

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
all of my toyotas 03 and newer have that sound... they say it is the brakes doing some type of self test or something along those lines... its normal in any case

·
Registered
31 Posts
I also hear this , if I mash gas pedal slow when taking off I hear and feel a clunk like noise , is this normal, I thought I had a driveline pbob.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
all of my toyotas 03 and newer have that sound... they say it is the brakes doing some type of self test or something along those lines... its normal in any case
That makes sense, with all the safety electronics, probably getting the brakes ready for action.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I believe its the ABS system doing a self check. My MINI does the exact same thing.

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
if you back into your parking stall, it might be your brakepads/shoes reseating. :)

·
Deliciously Blunt
5,667 Posts
I believe its the ABS system doing a self check. My MINI does the exact same thing.
Bingo...my brother and I were talking about this just the other day. Not all vehicles do it, but some (4-wheel disk) are more prevalent it seems...I never felt it in my 04 Taco (front disk, rear drum.) Then again my theory could be completely off:D

When at first you said you felt a clunk in the undercarriage through the accel pedal though, I was thinking that it was your 4x4/transfer case disengaging...torque lock. That would not happen when you started it up though, you would hear/feel that after turning off 4hi when the wheel haven't slipped much.:)

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
I would think it's coming from the slip yoke on the driveshaft moving in and out of the transmission when the the rear springs torque when stepping on the gas. Mine does this as well, but mostly when I'm starting off of my steep driveway pulling into the garage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts