Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Selectable camera on or normal operation mod

If you’re not willing to take your dash apart you can stop reading now.

There’s a great PDF on the web from Toyota that describes the whole glove box removal. Look under “custom installation navigation install manual”. The connector you need to get to, the JK1 is under the upper glove box.

Once you have removed the glove boxes, in the upper box opening in the upper right hand side, a group of two multipin connectors (pg 46 in the Toyota doc). The one you want is the lower one of the two. I suggest you remove your battery ground lead prior to any experimentation (I didn’t because I needed to do some meter probing). You may want to unplug the upper connector to get easier access to the JK1. You will need to pull back the foam tape covering the wire bundle to get access to the wires. Once uncovered you will be looking for a yellow wire. In the Toyota doc is a diagram of the JK1 connector with pinouts indicated. I wasn’t sure if this diagram shows the pin side or the wire side. From some more handy info gained here at the site I new I was looking for the #19 pin.

Unfortunately from my perspective of viewing the backside of the JK1, there are yellow wires on both the #12 pin and the #19 pin, both corners of the upper row of the connector.
So out comes the Volt Ohm meter. I knew that when the truck is in reverse, the reverse relay sends 12v to the head unit to tell it to turn on the camera. With a little experimentation I concluded the upper right hand yellow was the ticket.

You will need to separate the yellow wire from the bundle to work with it. You will be inserting a single pole single throw toggle switch in the yellow wire. The switch is wired as follows. The middle terminal of the switch is wired to the JK1 connector side of the yellow wire. The yellow wire going back into the bundle to either side of the two terminals left on the switch. The last terminal left on the switch goes to a switched 12v source.

I chose to mount my switch on the back wall of the upper glove box because of the close proximity to the JK1. You could mount the switch anywhere you have the patience to snake the wire.

I used 4 conductor shielded 24 gauge stranded wire for my harness, again because I had it (no bites this time). Again I used heat shrink on my switch terminals an on the splices into the yellow wire. I left enough slack in my harness to provide a service loop so the glove box with switch installed could sit on the dashboard.

The last thing to do was find a switched source of 12v to supply my switch. In my probing of the JK1 all I found was permanently on 12v. I finally found switched 12v on passenger side kick panel, the most lower connector with a red wire (see the pics)

That about covers it. I have pics to document the mods, but I can't seem to get more than five or so pics tundra post pics 001.jpg

tundra post pics 002.jpg

tundra post pics 010.jpg

tundra post pics 026.jpg

tundra post pics 005.jpg attached, any hint as to how to deal with pics would be helpfull

Have fun
[FONT=&quot] Paul[/FONT]

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
well if ur doing thumbnails like u are just post pics in a reply to your own thread u started like all the other guys are doing...u can reply and reply and reply and put 5 pics in each one....

·
Registered
83 Posts
Selectable camera on or normal operation mod

There’s a great PDF on the web from Toyota that describes the whole glove box removal. Look under “custom installation navigation install manual”.
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Paul[/FONT]

Can you post the Link?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts