Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked around, but not found answers, possibly because it's a dumb question...

I'd like to upgrade my factory speakers in my 2010 CrewMax -- it does NOT have the JBL system.

Can I order this or this and just have them installed? (And then do likewise for the rear speakers..) Would I need a stronger Head Unit? Do I need an amp? Can an amp be run through the stock head unit?

I really know absolutely nothing about audio stuff, except that my radio sounds horrible and I want it to sound better.

Is there a consensus on which speakers sound the best?

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
you would prob be better off going to a stereo shop to get real prof answers.. they have the goods... you dont want the toyota stuff its really just ok,, not worth the money to upgrade too..

·
Registered
681 Posts
Tear out your entire stock P.O.S. "stereo", if you can call it that, and start from scratch. If you have the funds, that is the way to go. If you're limited on money, then some decent door speakers and an amp with your stock deck will be much better than it is now.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Take a look at my sig; I did not have the JBL either and upgraded the head unit and speakers, that was 3 years ago so I am sure the head units/speakers have improved since then. Upgrading the speakers is not hard at all, the door is the "hardest" part to get off and then it's easy.

The head unit is not hard either, you have to pull various pieces of the dash/plastic coverings starting from the drivers left side to get to the radio...I bought my stuff from Crutchfield as they had stuff on sale, came with the directions and had some stuff in the overstck/scratch and dent section which made it cheaper.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Either of those speakers will work, but will need some adapter plates for the mid in the door location. Easy to fabricate if you have a jigsaw and some MDF board. They *will* run off the OEM deck power, but they won't sound too good. Best bet is to get an amplifier with speaker level inputs to power them. Then if/when you decide to swap the deck out, you'll be all set to go.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I think Crutchfield even sells the adapter for the 6x9 to 6.5 so you could get that from them too. You will need an amp to power those speakers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just upgraded to the Polk's you referenced. They sound 100 times better than the stock speakers. When you pull the trigger, look into upgrading the speaker wire (pain in the ass to feed) and doing some deadening. Also if you are thinking about not doing an amp, think again. I tried and sound quality was even worse than the stocks. Good luck

·
Registered
139 Posts
I think Crutchfield even sells the adapter for the 6x9 to 6.5 so you could get that from them too. You will need an amp to power those speakers.
Crutchfield is where I got my 6x9 to 6.5 speaker adapter, fits perfect. Taking the door panels off are super easy, only tricky part was trying to balance the panel on one knee while reconnecting the door light wiring harness. I installed the Polk DB series speakers in my regular cab. Mine did not come with the sail panel tweeters, but I found the correct factory trim covers from Sparks Toyota and an adapter kit for installing the tweeters on ebay, most aftermarket tweeters are larger than the JBL ones. I was able to get 3.5 in the front dash, but you'll have to do some modification here, a dremmel tool worked great for that. Last thing I have to add is the subwoofer in the back. Get rid of the POS stock speakers! that will make a HUGE difference right there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I can tell you I really really like my stock head unit now which is not a JBL. Look at the J&L audio web page. They make a product called clean sweep which hooks to your factory head unit, then this allows you to add both aftermarket amps and speakers, but keep your dash stock. I went with their amps and speakers too, and it sounds GREAT IMHO. Not a cheap way around the crap speakers and amp that came in the truck, but a quality way around the problem.
Greg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can tell you I really really like my stock head unit now which is not a JBL. Look at the J&L audio web page. They make a product called clean sweep which hooks to your factory head unit, then this allows you to add both aftermarket amps and speakers, but keep your dash stock. I went with their amps and speakers too, and it sounds GREAT IMHO. Not a cheap way around the crap speakers and amp that came in the truck, but a quality way around the problem.
Greg

Awesome product -- I'll check it out.

And thanks to everyone else for the comments and suggestions. :afro:

·
Registered
75 Posts
go to crutchfield.com They have techs that are standing by and can answer any of your questions. If you buy speaker from them, they include the adapter plates, and wire adaptors, along with step by step instructions on how to install them. Same applies for anything you buy from there.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Go to a local auto audio shop and test them and hear them for yourself

depends on what else you are adding....

I changed the whole system too.......I got the Focal V2 compontent Slim 6.5" on all four door plus Pioneer Z3 Nav/DVD, JL amp, and rear camera

you have to remember that a round speaker sounds better than ovals.....

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Crutchfield is very good about including all the adapter's (both physical and electronic) that you'll need to fit them on the door and to your HU. Having said that, replacing both the speakers and the HU will give you MUCH better sound. The only thing to watch out for is that the standard 6-speaker offering on the Tundra doesn't use crossover's for the front speakers to separate the treble and bass speakers. Toyota used bass-blockers off of the tweeters going to the woofers, so you'll need to basically "cut" the wiring and re-splice it passed the tweeters to get a straight connection from the HU to the door. There you can put the cross-overs and wire the woofers in the door and the pull the wiring from the crossover to the tweeter somewhere easy to mount (I put mine higher up the door in the triangle part where the edge of the door glass meets the frame right next to the A-pillar... nobody I know of didn't think the truck came stock like that, though I could certainly tell myself). The back speakers are much easier as there is no crossover needed (not that the fronts NEED them, but it does help to have the tweeters higher up). This is just some basic info. Like others I would definitely recommend changing the HU. Doing the speakers first helps a lot -- doing the HU helps more, and obviously adding external amps and a subwoofer is an even larger step. But the first two will make the biggest difference... good luck and PM me if you have any questions.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts