Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love it when American car companies screw people over! I mean, you buy a brand new Dodge Pickup for maybe $800 over invoice and you think you got a great deal and that your vehicle will hold its value down the road. Then DC offers $2k cash back, then Ford and Chevy offer it too. So DC jumps to $3k and then Ford and Chevy return fire, so DC jumps to $4k, then $5k and now they are at $7k! So here you are with a $46k pickup that just took a $7k loss on top of the depreciation value during the last 2 years. I love owning a pickup that I paid $46k just 2 years ago that's worth maybe $26k. Thanks DC! Here is the ironic part... My local DC dealership sent me a letter saying they are looking for trade in and want to offer me a sweet deal on a new 2007 Dodge Ram. I would love to buy a new 6.7 Cummins 350hp/650tq RAM, but since I still owe $32k and the trade in value is $25k I can't take a $7k loss to buy a new one. Funny.... $7k difference is exactly the amount that DC is offering for a Cash Back.

I never had that problem with my Tundra. Paid $33k for it new, owned it for 3 years put on 43k miles owed $21k and Dodge gave me $22k for trade in. Could it be that Toyota did not have $7k cash backs that devalued my Tundra?

·
Registered
228 Posts
The big incentives murder your resale. It's a slippery slope. People think the domestics are so much cheaper, but you end up paying way more in the long run.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Don't buy new, it's just not smart...
I find a very good 1 or 2 year old model, low mileage, no dents or accidents etc, and pay a good price for it. It does take me a while to find that "one" vehicle, but in my book, it's worth it. Then, once I've found the vehicle, it stays in my stall for 10 years. Usually, looking almost as good as when I bought it.
But, then, I've have been called cheap a few times.:D

Case and point, we're looking at buying a newer pop up camper, the one I want is a whopping $16,500 brand new! I just passed on an 06 barely used model, brand spanking new practically for $11,500. Still kicking myself, but it will pay in the end when I get it for less...

·
Registered
251 Posts
The big incentives murder your resale. It's a slippery slope. People think the domestics are so much cheaper, but you end up paying way more in the long run.
It only matters if you trade your trucks every few years. Why not pay 7k less now and keep it for 8-10 years and put 200k on the odometer, then your trade in difference disappears. The cheapest vehicles you will find are the ones you already own.

·
Registered
379 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Well, I just saw my first CrewMax up close and it was $2500 off sticker for a 5.7l Limited but without Nav. I think that even the tone of the salesperson was encouraging in that they really want to move the trucks off the lot. I'm willing to bet that they could go much lower in price. The guy even offered to get the truck I wanted with whatever options were required for the same deal as what they had in stock.
I think it is good for Toyota to do this since it helps both them and the consumer in the end. I'm hoping that they may have $5K to $6K off the top models in Octomber/November if I can wait till then!! Note to self; patience is a virtue, patience is a virtue, patience is a virtue!!! :D:D:D

·
Registered
28 Posts
I love it when American car companies screw people over! I mean, you buy a brand new Dodge Pickup for maybe $800 over invoice and you think you got a great deal and that your vehicle will hold its value down the road. Then DC offers $2k cash back, then Ford and Chevy offer it too. So DC jumps to $3k and then Ford and Chevy return fire, so DC jumps to $4k, then $5k and now they are at $7k! So here you are with a $46k pickup that just took a $7k loss on top of the depreciation value during the last 2 years. I love owning a pickup that I paid $46k just 2 years ago that's worth maybe $26k. Thanks DC! Here is the ironic part... My local DC dealership sent me a letter saying they are looking for trade in and want to offer me a sweet deal on a new 2007 Dodge Ram. I would love to buy a new 6.7 Cummins 350hp/650tq RAM, but since I still owe $32k and the trade in value is $25k I can't take a $7k loss to buy a new one. Funny.... $7k difference is exactly the amount that DC is offering for a Cash Back.

I never had that problem with my Tundra. Paid $33k for it new, owned it for 3 years put on 43k miles owed $21k and Dodge gave me $22k for trade in. Could it be that Toyota did not have $7k cash backs that devalued my Tundra?
Sorry, Dodge is no more an American car company than Toyota (although it might depreciate like one)...it is a German company, and Ram is made in Mexico (at least all the 1500 labels I read said that). It may soon be an American company again since DaimlerChrysler is trying to sell and several American companies are front-runners. Why did you trade your Tundra for a Ram in the first place? Towing?
mjg

·
Registered
228 Posts
Sorry, Dodge is no more an American car company than Toyota (although it might depreciate like one)...it is a German company, and Ram is made in Mexico (at least all the 1500 labels I read said that). It may soon be an American company again since DaimlerChrysler is trying to sell and several American companies are front-runners. Why did you trade your Tundra for a Ram in the first place? Towing?
mjg
Actually it's looking like they'll get bought out by a Canadian company. :p

·
Registered
37 Posts
not all the dodge rams is made in mexico they have plants here in the usa i bought a 07 ram and its made here!!my grand father was in world war 2 he drove a 1944 dodge weapon carries!!! i remeber him telling me that the dodge trucks had a good reputation for manoeuvrability and said they was very! very! dependable under the most grueling extremes of service he said they was a tough truck!!!i like dodge!! and i sleep very well at night!!!who designed and help build the flying super fortress???dodge!!!who help design the A-1 battle tank??? chrysler and dodge!!!them alone stands me in good stead with dodge:tu:

·
Registered
330 Posts
There's not many, if any cars out there that you will not be upside down on 2 years into the purchase if you finance for 5 or 6 years.

I think if you plan to swap trucks every 2 years and you finance for 5 or 6 years then your going to take a bath every time.

I bought my Dodge in 04 (sticker was 46k, paid 37). I think I could easily get 25 k trade on it now which is 67% of what I paid. That's not bad on a 3 year old truck. You got 66% on your 2 year old Tundra. It seems your problem is that you financed a large about of money for a few years and you've basically only been paying interest and your upside down mostly from your own doing, not DCX.. I don't see how is DCX's fault.:confused:

·
Registered
528 Posts
My 04 Ram was made in St. Louis. I made double payments on it when I could stay ahead of the curve and it payed off but not by much. Ford and Chevy have the same syndrome!

·
Registered
145 Posts
My 04 Ram was made in St. Louis. I made double payments on it when I could stay ahead of the curve and it payed off but not by much. Ford and Chevy have the same syndrome!
Did you get over 20 mpg with the Dodge the way you do with your 5.7 Tundra? :rolleyes:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts