Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We purchased our 2010 CrewMax primarily as a daily driver and secondly as a tow vehicle for our recent addition. Last weekend we drove from MN to TN to pick up our "new" toy (a 2004 Crownline 250CR) and pulled it home.

We weighed "empty" with a full tank, 2 adults, 2 kids, and 4 days of gear at 6600#. After hitching up at the marine, we drove 2 miles to the nearest CAT scale and weighed 16160#. That's 9560# of boat and trailer.

The truck is setup with Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ load range E in the stock size with 50 psi and Firestone air bags with 50 psi. The trailer has 4 wheel disc surge brakes. After the third tank of gas I figured out the air bags were flat and started refilling at each stop.

Pulling out of Knoxville, heading west on I40, we went through some pretty long 5% grades and maintained 60 mph in 4th gear. Most impressive was the ability to accelerate around slower vehicles going up those hills. Stability was OK considering the boat is about 3-4 feet higher than the truck and it catches a LOT of wind off passing semi trucks. We started out slow through the hills, but picked up speed to 60-65 when the road flattened coming into KY/IL. In MO we got a nice 20 mph tail wind and brought it up to 65-70 until we hit rush hour in Mpls.

The truck averaged 9.0 mpg for the 1100 mile pull. Engine and trans temps never rose above mid scale (normal) even through the steep grades.

I saw my life flash before my eyes twice. First when I came into a clover leaf and the transition from the road to the ramp caused the rear tires to jump. Second when I was distracted by the kids and didn't see the semi passing me going about 20 mph faster. He almost sucked the boat in behind him.

Overall, it will take some getting used to, but I won't have a problem trailering this boat to the river every weekend.

·
Don't argue with an insomniac.
5,569 Posts
AWESOME! That's great, Biestie!

Air bag leaks are to be found at the top junction between the air bag and the line. I'm sure you are aware of the soapy water trick. I had one that leaked a bit there my first trip down, and aired up a few times. After I tightened that joint, no more air loss.

Now all you need to worry about is shallow water and rocks with that big a$$ boat!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Thanks for the tow report. That is a sweet boat...looks brand new! What kind of hitch did you go with?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Air bag leaks are to be found at the top junction between the air bag and the line.
I haven't looked for it yet, but thought for sure it would be in the push in connections. Since the air lines are glorified 1/4" ice maker line, I took some of the left over line and plumbed in a tee valve so I could equalize between the two sides. It also allows me to fill both side at the same time while I monitor pressure with the digital gauge on the other port. This mod was done with compression fittings, so I'll check there, too.

Now all you need to worry about is shallow water and rocks with that big a$$ boat!
Keel Gaurd for the beaching and stay off the wing damns with this one... :doh:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What kind of hitch did you go with?
Ball mount: Buyers Forged Ball Mount — 2in. Drop, 1 1/4in. Ball Hole, 20,000-Lb. Capacity, Model# 1803051 | Single Ball Mount | Northern Tool + Equipment

Ball: Buyers Hitch Ball — Chrome-Plated, 2 5/16in. Dia., Model# 1802025 | Hitch Balls | Northern Tool + Equipment

The mount is a little sloppy in the receiver and I can feel it move when the tongue bounces. More annoying than an issue.

The ball is rated at 10000# and the load is 9560# so I may look to another for some greater margin. Maybe this one: http://www.etrailer.com/Balls/Tow%20Ready/63836.html

Glen

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Holy sh!t thats a huge freaking boat!! Congrats man and good write up!

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
Nice report!

·
Registered
916 Posts
Nice boat! I never want to own one, but I sure wouldn't mind having a good friend that has one!!!!!!!!!!!!! =) Have you considered a weight distribution hitch? A nice one would help with sway control and help equalize the weight across both axles.

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
The mount is a little sloppy in the receiver and I can feel it move when the tongue bounces. More annoying than an issue.Glen
A wrap or two of duct tape on the ball mount ususally tightens that up. Ill post a link for another way to fix that...AND...Im going to have a similar situation. Im in San Antonio and will be travelling to Pittsburg to pick up a 21ft Bullet Bass Boat. This should be FUN !!

Quiethitch The Silence Speaks For Itself :beach:

·
Registered
588 Posts
"Have you considered a weight distribution hitch?"

Be careful with this one , most WDs cannot be used with surge brakes.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Nice (big) boat! The climb coming out of Knoxville was I-40 over the Cumberland Plateau. I've pulled over it many times. From what I've read, and FWIW... traveling West, the steepest portion is ~4% grade (just past Harriman). Traveling East, it's closer to 5% (coming towards Crossville).

·
Registered
916 Posts
"Have you considered a weight distribution hitch?"

Be careful with this one , most WDs cannot be used with surge brakes.
Was not aware of that... Disregard my suggestion in that case!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Wow! What a boat. Good to hear it pulled good for you. Thanks for the detailed write up.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Glen,

Wow! That's a NICE boat!! We've been trying to sell our boat for a couple of years now, so we could buy a 25-27 ft cabin cruiser like that. You drove a long way to get that boat. You must have got a killer deal eh? You couldn't have bought a better brand boat. They make nice boats! We finally gave up on the idea of staying on a boat overnight, due to the dogs would be a pain in the a$$ to deal with. But staying on the water, anchored in a cove would be a blast!! Congrats on your purchase!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We finally gave up on the idea of staying on a boat overnight, due to the dogs would be a pain in the a$$ to deal with.
I plan to drag the dogs behind it. (in thier own raft of course...) :titanic:

Thanks for the compliments!!

·
Premium Member
2002 Sequoia SR5 4WD
399 Posts
beautiful boat and truck..thanks for taking the time out to let us know!

points sent

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hey there Gentlemen-
I have a little tip regarding the leak(s) in your air bag lines:
The Firestone air bag kits all come with 1/4" compression fittings and the air lines are made of polypropylene. The interface between the tubing and the fittings is usually the weak link in the system. To keep these leaks to a minimum, I have found that you must:

Be sure to cut your tubing very straight. Scissor-type tubing cutters which have a straight razor on one of the scissor arms and a plastic block on the other scissor arm work the best. Also you may want to use sandpaper to finish the cut ends to make sure they are all perfect.

If you have the time and access to all the tubing, I also have found that you get a much better fit by swapping all the polypropylene (P/P) tubing to polyurethane (P/U) tubing, which is a softer material and conforms to the small gaps in the fittings A LOT better than P/P. And since P/U is softer, it will bend around corners with less stress to the fittings than P/P tubing will.

I sure do love my air bags, and I hate air leaks! Great job to add the T-fitting to make it a balanced circuit too!!!!

Good luck out there y'all,
Zeebra

1 - 20 of 28 Posts