Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of trading my 2003 2500HD 8.1l allison tranny for a 2010 Tundra DBL Cab with the 5.7L 6.5box. The chevy has 150,000 miles on it and I am sure the engine and springs are tired, but it still pulls nice and can handle the camper with no problems.

Now my question is my 5th wheel camper is weight Rates are:

2000lb Pin Weight

9000lb empty weight

11,000 total GVW

I know some people are freaks when it comes to weight limits and so forth...But I want to know if this is tundra can handle it from the factory with out putting anything into the suspension. I know the total Towing GVW for the truck is 10,300 and the dealer claims the truck payload is 1600 or so. So my question is, can it work? Thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
The 5.7 in the tundra is impressive, I just don't see it comparing to the 8.1 Big block in your Chevrolet. The payload of the Tundra (or any other 1/2 ton), especially stock just isn't up to a 2,000# payload. I think you would be disappointed,and should stay in a 3/4 Ton. I tow a 5000# TT with little effort and feel the Tundra is a perfect tow vehicle for a TT up to the 7-8000# range, any more and you really need to be in a 3/4 ton.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
See I just dont think the 8.1L is that impressive. The chevy 2500hd w/6.0L is at about the same ratings as the Toyota. The only reason the 8.1L has the 16K rating is the engine and tranny combo. I just need to know if the truck suspension can handle my rig, I am sure it can tow it but I dont want the rear sag'in to the ground

·
Registered
513 Posts
the 8.1L is really not that impressive we had one and towing was not that much different from the tundra at 10,000 pounds. now that said my dads 2001 3500 was, you could put 4000 pounds in the bed and it would go down less than an inch. the 3500 is a 1 ton maybe even 1 1/2 ton depending on the year.

you will have to have e tires and air bags / helper springs.

on a side note you will get about the same millage towing, at least we did.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We are thinking of trading our truck in, it has 150,000 miles on it. We dont want to kick our self in the *** 6 months from now if the engine blows or something. Our toyota dealer has a heck of a deal right now. I have owned 1/2tons and 3/4tons and i am not affraid to tow things, true farmboy here. But I also dont want to spend $1500 on equipment and have the truck be under rated still. All the dealers I talk with say the 2010 Tundra will handle the same playloads as my 2003 2500hd, but I just dont know about that, and I fiured the best way to find out is by asking the people who own the trucks.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Could it pull it? Sure. Will it hold up? Can't answer that. Is it safe? Maybe.

You already stated you're not interested in weight quotes, so I won't go that route. But I do think exceeding the manufacturer's recommended weight ratings by more than 10% is folly. With 2,000 lbs of pin weight, a 5er hitch and people in the truck, you will be way over the payload limit. I have given up trying to convince folks to stay within the GVWR or GCWR. But I will still hold that the GAWR and tire limits should not be exceeded. Adding airbags, shocks, springs or other stuff doesn't change the axle rating. I think that is too much trailer for a Tundra.

Tom

·
Registered
151 Posts
X3
Weight Ratings aren't there to annoy, they are there to keep you AND EVERYONE ELSE ON THE ROAD safe.
I know there are many experienced that can and do exceed their weight ratings. I've done it myself on occasion. It's the inexperienced person that pulls "like it wasn't there" at 75 MPH that scares the hell out of me.

·
Registered
513 Posts
i would like to know, and see documentation, of how the manufactures figure the tow capacity of a truck. i remember reading once that there was no set slandered for figuring it out.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
nomadic,

I would love to know that as well. The engineer in me wants to believe that the manufacturer has done extensive static and dynamic failure analysis with a robust set of monte carlo runs to determine failure points. Then they apply a margin for safety and lawsuits and that sets the limit. The cynic in me believes they set it as high as they dare so they can brag about the highest tow rating. I see the latter evident in the fact that they set the "tow" rating very high (e.g. 10,300 lbs) call it class leading and show fancy commercials towing large loads. But in reality, the GVWR will never allow you to tow the max tow rating because the payload capacity becomes the limiting factor.

It's also interesting to note tow ratings in trucks with different drive trains. The bigger motor and tranny adds significantly to the tow rating. That would indicate that the drivetrain is the limiting factor. But then you hit the max ratings with the biggest motor / tranny / rear end and there is no indication what piece of the system then becomes the limiting factor.

I used to be a strict follower of GVWR and GCWR. Over the years of towing, I have softened and believe that axle, hitch and tire limits should be considered "do not exceed" numbers. I'll allow myself 10% over on GVWR or GCWR. I do not condone exceedance of the hitch, axle or tire weight limits. That at least gives folks some leeway to go a bit bigger on a trailer without putting themselves or anyone else at significant risk.

Tom

·
Registered
513 Posts
i figured it is a combination of brakes and system cooling would be the limiting factor.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
My dad used to own a 96 2500 with the same drivetrain you have, and it couldn't even keep up pulling his Current Durango 27' fifth wheel. And we were pulling our current 25' Jag 5th wheels with our old 4.7L Tundra's at the time!
Last year, i hooked onto the Durango with my tundra for a test pull. Needless to say, my dad now owns a 08 Tundra DC with the 5.7 and couldn't be happier.
The gearing in these trucks is simply amazing, with the 4.30 rear and the 6-speed. They easily seem to find the right gear, whether empty or towing.

My dad's Durango max's out his Tundra now on axle weight's and GCWR, but you surely wouldn't know it powerwise. It weighs close to your trailer, if not right on the same.

Word's of advice:

KNOW you're at or over capacities, and drive accordingly.
Add proper size E-rated tires capable of heavy loads.
The tundra WILL need airbags for this trailer.
It will need proper maintenance performed religiously!
Unless you're going to tow that trailer every day, across country; the tundra will do it just fine.
Stay within the GAWR in the owners manual, which is 4150 rear and 4100 front.

Lastly, if possilbe find someone with a fifth wheel setup in a Tundra and go for a spin.
I think you'd be truely impressed.

Here's a pic of my dad's durango:

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
See I just dont think the 8.1L is that impressive. The chevy 2500hd w/6.0L is at about the same ratings as the Toyota. The only reason the 8.1L has the 16K rating is the engine and tranny combo. I just need to know if the truck suspension can handle my rig, I am sure it can tow it but I dont want the rear sag'in to the ground
The 8.1 is not that impressive. It's got good torque down low, but the HP is a little weak. I think it's like 290 HP and 420 lb/ft of torque, if i remember right. The 6.0 / 4-speed combo doesn't even compete, unless you can get the 6.0/6-speed/410. Even then, you'd have to get the 6.2/6-speed/410 to compete powerwise. And i don't think you can get the 6.2 in a 3/4 ton.

The STOCK suspension can't handle a 2k lb load, without airbags or supersprings.
What i like about the airbags is, they provide an extra bearing point per axle. So you'd have 3 bearing points per side, vs. just 2. My dad runs 25 psi when hooked up to the Durango.
If you're worried about the axle holding up, don't be. Hino has already claimed 5000+ lb capabilities, but won't publicly announce it for some reason.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Having had that flavor (8.1L-Allsion?) in a 2005 and towing the exact same trailer with the Tundra also, you will have no issues. I thought the Tundra was more stable and gave me better mileage than the cheby did.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts