Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Another Tundra TPMS Solution

5K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  apittmanii 
#1 ·
I did not see this posted elsewhere, but as many Toyota Tundra owners already realize, the wretched TPMS light is a total pain! The more creative solutions in this forum include removing the dash gauge assembly to modify wiring to remove the TPMS light illumination; soldering diodes to fake-out the appropriate ohms from the TPMS module next to the passenger side kick panel; placing electrical tape over the TPMS light; or as I did, sufficiently self-medicating to accept the realization that the light will be a part of your life forever; the list goes on!

Should your Toyota TPMS journey lead you to replace the “Receiver”... that is, the squarish plastic module on the roof near the rear window, you will soon realize that A) the module is $400 new, B) the used modules for the Tundra are 150-200 on eBay, and C) the used ones are exceedingly scarce! At the time of this posting in the year of our Lord 2021, an internet search shows precisely zero available.

So, here is a cheap work around you can do to save a boat load of money. After 5 painful years of the TPMS light on, and a new appreciation for just how well my truck runs at 200k miles, I decided to fix the light. Instead of purchasing a TPMS receiver for the Tundra, I took a chance on the Toyota Sienna TPMS receiver ($30 used on eBay). I noticed it had almost identical radio frequency markings on the shroud... and it was the same shape! The only difference is the bracket differs slightly... but just remove the 4 screws on the back and you can replace the bracket (or you can just shove it in the roof liner and not even use the 10mm bolt). The 2011-2019 Sienna module plugged in and fit perfectly. Fired up my questionably legal version TechStream and boom... Yahtzee! The Tundra was sensing both the temp and the correct tire pressure. For the first time in 5 years my dash was clear of that orange devil light.

If others find that alternate Toyota TPMS receivers work well in the Tundra, please do comment here. You will be helping the lost souls that are plagued with this highly annoying flaw.

See less See more
#3 ·
For the last several years it flashed for over a minute upon startup, then stayed solid. And Techstream showed there to be no communication with any of the sensors. Neither here nor there, but those batteries in the sensors are decent- they are original from 2007 and have solid power.

#5 ·
Amazon for the dongle (DIAGKING mini-vci, version 2.04) and I use it with my 2012 MacBook Air running a virtual windows machine. I did not use the CD that came with the mini-vci.

However, these simple instructions are by far the most reliable way, whether you have a Mac or a windows machine. Follow these steps exactly and you will have the best luck:

#7 ·
For me, because I got techstream, I knew that none of my tires were getting a reading. So I felt it had to be another piece of hardware. You could try replacing the receiver but for you it’s more of a gamble because it’s possible it’s just one (or more) of your tpms batteries (the ones in your tires) that are dead.

If you wanted to be really safe, replace all the tpms sensors in your tires and if still not working get the module. Here’s the module for your vehicle.
Product Font Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Technology

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.