Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm tooling down the road with cell phone in my right ear, cheeseburger in my left hand, 44oz. DP between my legs and I realize my on ramp is approaching. (I know, if I wasn't distracted by the Big Gulp, I would have seen it sooner)

I give the mighty I-Force a kick in the arse to get to to a safe place to merge.......only she keeps revving!!!!!

I tell my bud on the phone hold on a minute as I use my right hand to slip her into "N".

As I pull up to the intersection (missing my right turn for obvious reasons) the motor sounds mean bouncing off the rev limiter.

Before grabbing and turning the key off, I look down and sure enough, my factory floor mat has just BARELY caught the edge of the pedal.

Man, I knew I should have let the dealer un-install those pesky floor mats!!! (looking for a need to blame someone other than myself:eek:)

Now, before you righteous horses' behinds start the lecture, :angrywife: I'm embellishing about the burger and drink......but I was talking on a cell phone.

Funny part was after the ordeal, my buddy on the other end was like WTF was all that noise.:confused: Told him he just experienced someone having intended unintended acceleration.....he was like Kewl!!!

I think the moral of the story is I don't believe 2% of all the BS stories surfacing regarding this and even if there is a "real" problem, I can with 100% certainty(sp?) attest to the fact the "N" on the transmission (along with NORMAL application of the brakes) will cease all forward motion.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hah at least your man enough to fess up to your mistake instead of blamin Toyota! Glad you kept her on all four, points sent!

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
I know how you feel. I stand on it every chance I get. That is why I have Bluetoof.

·
Forum Admin
8,242 Posts
Was driving my neighbor's 2009 FJ Cruiser and saw she had some cheesy $5 generic carpet floor mats laying right on top of the OEM FJ all-weather mats. They were slidin' all over the place too. I later asked her, "What the heck? Why do you have those ugly cheapo floor mats in your car? You know those are the reason this whole recall crap started, right?"

She replies, "Yea, but I like the carpet floor mats."

Moral of the story: people are dumb, even if they're your friends.

·
Registered
754 Posts
yeah, but was she HOT? :D
Was driving my neighbor's 2009 FJ Cruiser and saw she had some cheesy $5 generic carpet floor mats laying right on top of the OEM FJ all-weather mats. They were slidin' all over the place too. I later asked her, "What the heck? Why do you have those ugly cheapo floor mats in your car? You know those are the reason this whole recall crap started, right?"

She replies, "Yea, but I like the carpet floor mats."

Moral of the story: people are dumb, even if they're your friends.

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
That story is almost believable - ok, what kind of burger were you eating? :clown:

Seriously, you need a hands-free hamburger holder that clamps on your steering wheel!

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
dude..next time call 911 and u can be famous like that jackazz who did it in the prius and staged the whole thing....

·
Registered
394 Posts
So I'm tooling down the road with cell phone in my right ear, cheeseburger in my left hand, .
Dude, you're famous! I heard Dennis Leary mention you in a Ford commercial!

:D

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dude, you're famous! I heard Dennis Leary mention you in a Ford commercial!

:D

LOL!!! I forgot about that commericial!!!

Which brings us to the conundrum of the day:

How do people know to get so bent out of shape *****in' about what other people are doing while driving while they themselfs are driving??? :confused:

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Out of curiosity, were your floor mats "clipped in" properly on the hooks? I'm glad to hear you were able to use your brain and figure out how to control your truck, unlike most idiots on the road.

·
Registered
274 Posts
dont know how long this crap has been going on with new trucks. all the 2010's from dc to cm have the freaking carpeted mats ZIP TIED DOWN lol. have a big yellow sticker that says do not remove unless toyota tells you so lol. wtf??

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Out of curiosity, were your floor mats "clipped in" properly on the hooks? I'm glad to hear you were able to use your brain and figure out how to control your truck, unlike most idiots on the road.

Regarding the clips; I plead the 5th.....:D

In all seriousness, part of the dumas comment regarding myself is that I was totaly aware of the floor mat theory and I see the empty holes in my floor and the corresponding holes in the mat (I've never had/seen the pins/clips) but it was one of those "Eh, it only happens to the other guy things....."

The whole UA scenario bugs the crap outta me. I don't consider myself a Toyota apologist, but if we as a country are so lame as to not be able to throw a car out of gear or turn the key/button to off.......nevermind, I forgot about the elections.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
The whole UA scenario bugs the crap outta me. I don't consider myself a Toyota apologist, but if we as a country are so lame as to not be able to throw a car out of gear or turn the key/button to off.......nevermind, I forgot about the elections.
Yeah, me too.

·
awpooponya
5,700 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have those zip ties in mine also and I thought what a cheesy way to take care of the problem. I will just cut them off when I get around to it and attach them with Velcro later. I still have not brought mine in the recall and really just want to have the peddle replaced and feel that Toyota should just do it for those that want it.

Webby

·
Registered
588 Posts
Don't do the recall. I did(it sucks and I feel it is dangerous) and now they are ordering me another pedal assembly. Looks like another trip to the dealer.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts