Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have sirius radio that I never turn off, and was sick of my antenna floping around. So I decided to mod it. I like to run my truck through the wash during the winter months also. This will help out I think. I picked up an extra antenna at the junk yard and cut it down, I then took the top of one of my fishing jigs and applied heat ,flux and a little solder. put a couple coats of flat black paint and clear. I did how ever place the original antenna under the back seat incase my sirius radio craps out during a trip .

Attachments

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Well I guess it was cheap..... Personally I'd rather have a stubby antenna from craven speed but you did a good job. I wish I was more handy like that!

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
I wish someone would come out with an antenna like that or better yet a power retract antenna. I'm not that handy either so.....I'll just wait.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
tons of universal power antennaes out there. im sure one will work. jc whitney has a bunch of them.

i did something similar several years ago, although not as short. i cut my stock one down on my 03 tiburon GT to about 12'' and put a small vacuum line cap on there. cheap little rubber black cap for plugging vacuum outlets on a carb, etc. dap of super glue inside and it slid right on and never came off.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Toyota should have designed the antenna into the glass and left off the mast.

·
Registered
424 Posts

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
Antennas "in the glass" are somewhat directional and therefore reception is not as good as a vertical rod-type of antenna...

·
Benny Hill
17,369 Posts
I have sirius radio that I never turn off, and was sick of my antenna floping around. So I decided to mod it. I like to run my truck through the wash during the winter months also. This will help out I think. I picked up an extra antenna at the junk yard and cut it down, I then took the top of one of my fishing jigs and applied heat ,flux and a little solder. put a couple coats of flat black paint and clear. I did how ever place the original antenna under the back seat incase my sirius radio craps out during a trip .
Does that even work ????????? How is your reception ????

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does that even work ????????? How is your reception ????

It does not work well ...but like i said I only use my sirius radio. This was more form than function. I hated that antenna ,always loose and flopping around. I do still have a regular sized antenna under the back seat incase something happens to my sat radio while out . Everybody has thier own way of solving issues that urk them and this was mine....with out spending more than 5 bucks.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Antennas "in the glass" are somewhat directional and therefore reception is not as good as a vertical rod-type of antenna...
That may deffinitely be true, but honestly it's 2010 and who really listens to the radio anymore? With Sirius/XM and iPods these days I'm guessing it might be okay for manufacturers to go the way of the tape deck and retire the mast antenna on all vehicles.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That may deffinitely be true, but honestly it's 2010 and who really listens to the radio anymore? With Sirius/XM and iPods these days I'm guessing it might be okay for manufacturers to go the way of the tape deck and retire the mast antenna on all vehicles.
exactly true. In order of preference...... satellite radio/ ipod/ blue tooth to your phone/ cd if your in a jam and every thing else has broken. I doubt I will ever listen to terrestrial radio again . Just bad quality over regulated and censored ....then there is the new and improved HD radio lol...

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
I only switch over to FM when I can't take the Sirius popping in & out every 10 seconds because Toyota/ dealers refuse to install the Sirius sat antenna in the proper roof-mounted location (ground-plane)...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I still listen to the radio!!
That's cool, to each there own. I on the other hand do not. I'm sure there are many more out there that won't ever listen to FM radio ...and just as many whom will continue too. This was just an FYI for those who wanted to do something different with there antenna. Not all mods are for everyone This is just a great place to learn options available for those pesky problems that urk you. This solved my problem and I'm happy with it. so in the true nature of this forum I thought I would pass it along.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Well I guess it was cheap..... Personally I'd rather have a stubby antenna from craven speed but you did a good job. I wish I was more handy like that!

I agree, I got the bullet antenna from craven speed, but mostly because I am not handy enought to come up with these modifications. Good job.:tu:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Go with the Craven Speed stubby...looks factory.

·
2015 Tundra TRD Silver
103 Posts
Great job. But I want to install a power antenna. Could someone please give me steps to remove passenger side inner fender so I can get to the OEM antenna?

·
Registered
665 Posts
I think I am the only 22 year old that has fallen off of the technological bandwagon. I still listen to radio, I dont have sirius/xm, i dont have a myspace or facebook, my cell phone (with no internet) is too complicated and my girlfriend set up my ipod for me!

I really think I should have been born in the 60's/70's!!!

Your antenna definitely does not look bad and if it works for you...the he11 with the rest!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts