Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hmm, there has got to be a way to override the anti-theft system that utilizes an RFID chip in each of the vehicle keys and remote's. What a shocker my dealer described to me today.

2 week old Tundra DC. Went to make a spare key for a hide-a-key. Was told by a shop "no-can-do." OK. Called Toyota Service.

There reply was that the computer can recognize 5 keys. The three issued and the 2 remotes. I can't have a sixth key for the keyless entry. So if I have mine, my spouse has a key, and the valet stays in a safe, I can't even make a spare key to hide!

To make it worse, they explained that they can only program so many keys before they have to bump all the keys out of the computer, at which point they are useless. That would leave me buying 3 keys @ $68, 2 remotes @ > $100, and programming of $50/unit.

What's up with that? So real question is, since I don't get an insurance break with the system, how can I disable? tape a key near the ignition so there is always a chip in close proximity?

Bummer.

Jaime

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
I don't get it? If you are going to tape a key near the ignition then why not just use that key as your hide-a-key?? Why not just use the valet key? Why keep it in a safe?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess a hide-a-key inside a locked vehicle wouldn't really do me too much good. I realize it would be hidden, so my bad. I actually use all three keys. Spouse has one, my main keychain has one, and the third I put on a small 2-key chain (car and topper) that I may carry on runs, rides, boating, etc. I merely wanted a simple way to have a 4th or 5th key.

Now if I gave up one key to tape near the ignition to trick the RFID (haven't checked if this would work yet) I would be free to make as many $5 keys as I wanted, thus avoiding shelling out minimum $130 each time I want a new key.

Cheers,

J

·
Registered
848 Posts
where are you buying your keys for $130 each ? i get them for $30 (at wondries toyota) and $50 to program (you can have them program 5 keys at once for the $50 )

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
I get what your saying. You know if you are willing to hide a key inside the truck, they make those things that are 5 digits that you can enter a code to unlock the doors. I don't know what you call them but I've seen threads on here where they make wireless ones that you can hide anywhere on the truck so you can't see them. You could hide it under the bed rail or something. Then once inside the truck you could use the hidden key to start the truck. Not sure what to tell you to search for but there is info about in on this forum.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
welcome to the automotive world thats been this way for the past decade or so.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Pretty odd I thought we could add up to 5 remotes and immoboliser chipped keys, so not sure about what the dealer was saying. Sounds like lies or just stupid dealers service adviser.
If you truely want to bypass this secuirty feature it can be done simply with over the counter hardware. Just get a remote start immoboliser bypass module and program it with one of your current keys and wire it up similar to if your going to put in a remote start system. Now here the parts thats different, this unit is only normaly active for a short time as the remote starts power it up and active. You just need to fidn the trigger wire that enable the device and wire it up to turn on and stay on as long as you have a key in the ignition and in the ON position. Now you can put in any cheap key thats cut properly for your ignition and your good to go. Now I would never want to bypass this secuirty feature myself but its simple if you want to do it.

Disclaimer... I have not done this myself but from a technical stand point this makes logical sense and should work if done right.

:D

·
Registered
379 Posts
Use the keysense wire to trigger the bypass module... but you can NEVER use a chipped key again while that system is in place... the two signals will confuse the system.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Called around, seems like not only is my dealer charging WAY above usual and customary, but doesn't really understand the whole system either. Respose was, "well, we just need you to schedule a service time so we can plug her into the computer and see what we have." This is from a car that drove off their lot new 2 weeks ago!

Fun, thanks for the idea's. I actually heard that installing an autostart may bypass, must...learn....more.....

J

1 - 10 of 10 Posts