Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After running his F150 into the ground for 10 years, my old man is looking at the new Tundra and the Silverado. He will be running dedicated snow tires in the winter.

First, anyone have full winter setup? Experiences?

Looking around tirerack and other sites, I'm finding 17" Chevy sets pretty easily and not too bad on price. But there are NO 18" snow tires available near the Tundra's size. How about 17's? Would they fit over rotors? I downsize an inch on my Tacoma and my wifes car no problem. Same diameter, but narrower(and cheaper). Would most likely forget about those damn TMPS sensors ($450 for other toyota trucks and $150 for Chevy set).

I know its spring now but looking ahead. Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
After running his F150 into the ground for 10 years, my old man is looking at the new Tundra and the Silverado. He will be running dedicated snow tires in the winter.

First, anyone have full winter setup? Experiences?

Looking around tirerack and other sites, I'm finding 17" Chevy sets pretty easily and not too bad on price. But there are NO 18" snow tires available near the Tundra's size. How about 17's? Would they fit over rotors? I downsize an inch on my Tacoma and my wifes car no problem. Same diameter, but narrower(and cheaper). Would most likely forget about those damn TMPS sensors ($450 for other toyota trucks and $150 for Chevy set).

I know its spring now but looking ahead. Thanks
I actually did some checking on this too. There isn't any in the original 18" tundra size 275/65-18. But you can use some 275/60-18's Bridgestone Blizzak DMZ-3's which have a slightly smaller overall diameter or a 285/60-18 which have about the same OD but slightly wider. Tire rack carries both of these sizes.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've run the Blizzak DMZ for the last 9 years ( 200,000 kms winter driving or so) on 2 GM's & an F150 and highly recommend them. They stick like baby poop to a blanket, I've done panic stops on black ice in full control, almost a little too sticky as I've probably driven too fast on sketchy roads where a lesser tire would have had me in the rhubarb, upside down.:eek:

I will for sure run them on my Tundra this upcoming winter.

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
Why not just get some tire chains and strap them on when needed? If the weather is bad enough for snow tires then use the chains, otherwise just use 4x4.

·
Registered
595 Posts
That is not feasible in the snowbelt. Good winter tires are much more convenient. Also, I believe some places don't allow studs or chains making winter tires (aka snow tires) a better choice.

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
That is not feasible in the snowbelt. Good winter tires are much more convenient. Also, I believe some places don't allow studs or chains making winter tires (aka snow tires) a better choice.
I lived in the snow belt for many years and it is certainly feasible. Most states do allow chains in certain months, and when conditions warrant. They are cheaper, transferable, and quick / easy to install or remove. Why don't you like them?

·
Registered
595 Posts
I grew up in cold country myself. I don't think chains are convenient. You may not mind getting out and putting chains on, I don't like doing that. Chains are not meant to be used long term or at higher speeds. Whatever the reason for failure I have seen the damage that thrown chains can cause. It's not pretty. I guess it's a person choice. I would rather have a set of good all season tires or winter tires.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chains are great for mtns passes out west, but in the east, that would only be for states of emergency or off-road. They aren't allowed normally. When dealing w/ light/moderate or hardpack snow covered roads every other morning (lake effect) being able to drive normal speeds and turn and stop like your on a dry road is why some of us choose snow tires.

LORDTUNDRAN, I also run Blizzaks on my Tacoma, they are the $hit in winter. Don't think I'll go back to studded tires again.

Wow the 18's are expensive and then the rims... Could 17's fit?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Chains are great for mtns passes out west, but in the east, that would only be for states of emergency or off-road. They aren't allowed normally. When dealing w/ light/moderate or hardpack snow covered roads every other morning (lake effect) being able to drive normal speeds and turn and stop like your on a dry road is why some of us choose snow tires.

LORDTUNDRAN, I also run Blizzaks on my Tacoma, they are the $hit in winter. Don't think I'll go back to studded tires again.

Wow the 18's are expensive and then the rims... Could 17's fit?
Did you have the Blizzaks studded? or did you run other tires studded? I ran some Cooper studded winters for a couple of seasons but they separated after 40,000 km or so, when the studs were new they were wicked but after the studs wore down they weren't that hot, or maybe it was because the tires were starting to separate? Tires seem to be personal preference, there's another thread going debating the benefits between BFG AT KO & Bridgestone Revo's and there are strong opinions on each side. To each his own!!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did you have the Blizzaks studded? or did you run other tires studded? I ran some Cooper studded winters for a couple of seasons but they separated after 40,000 km or so, when the studs were new they were wicked but after the studs wore down they weren't that hot, or maybe it was because the tires were starting to separate? Tires seem to be personal preference, there's another thread going debating the benefits between BFG AT KO & Bridgestone Revo's and there are strong opinions on each side. To each his own!!
Blizzaks can't be studded. The newer 'studless' snow tires rely on soft block treads and sipes that are actually as good as studded tires on all snow surfaces except ice. They behave better on dry roads better than studs (w/o damaging road) too. I used to run studded tires in the past, but with all the salt they put on the roads these days, there is very little ice, more slush. They do wear quick, so I have them on only Dec 1 to Apr 1. I've 10,000 mi on mine and about half worn now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts