Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to install a new hu and need to add steering wheel control interface and satellite radio. My question is does anyone know how I can get say one accessory wire coming off the hu harness and turn it into 3 outputs. Like a distribution block. I have seen the terminal strips and barriers but I don't think they accept one input and distribute it into multiple. Thanks for the help. I'm trying to keep my I stall as clean and sound as possible.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
What 3 items are you looking to connect to the head unit? Are these data-type connections (i.e. XM radio, iPod, etc.) or are they power-related (i.e. amps, etc.). I'm asking because there are ways to do this definitely for power, but the issue with doing this for data is that it is often a dumb-connection in that you don't have a way to select what you want with doing a manual switch from the distribution of the data which can be a PITA.
But there are HUs that have plenty of inputs for both... maybe you need to look for a different HU or just describe to us what you are looking to do more specifically and see what equipment you're intending to buy/hookup. Good luck and let us know!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well both the steering wheel control interface and the satellite radio control interface need power and ground to operate. I want to mount the two accessories under the center console so i need to run some wires from the hu harness to the center console.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
so youre looking to make each switched power source, seperate?? howcome?? just take all the wires you want to run to your switched power source, hold them together, and soder them.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's just it. I don't know how to solder. I thought there might be another way.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
That's just it. I don't know how to solder. I thought there might be another way.

its incredibly simple. you can get a cheap solder kit. you twist the wires you want to solder together. hold the heating element of the solder gun underneath the wires. and stick some solder into the top, and wait for it to melt. once you melt a good amount of solder into it, let it cool, then wrap it in electrical tape.

with butt connectors you can do it, but its not going to be as good of a connection. take a small piece of wire, and twist it with your switched power source lead so it runs parallel against it. then slip on a butt connector and crimp it. then take 2 small pieces of wire, hold them parallel to eachother, and twist one of the ends together, then shove it in the other end of the butt connector, and crimp that. voila!! you now have 3 leads with switched power. :tu:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks that does sound pretty easy. Think I'll give it a go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts