Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have ceremic Thorley headers in my 4runner and as much as I love them, I have had some issues that I had to deal with. Nothing too major, but I burned through some spark plug wires before I learned how to route and wrap them specially, and I also burn through starters faster than usual, just from the heat.

I'm wondering whether the JBA shorty headers in the Sequoia cause any issues at all that anyone has run into. Any thoughts in general on these headers in Sequoias (especially 2005-2007) would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Other than the typical challenges of bolting them on in the tight space, I had to bend the transmission shift cable away from the header on my 2001.
I've been running them for almost 3 years. I love em! No problems.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
With the Sequoia you shouldn't have to worry about the same problems as in your 4Runner....but I do know on some V8 applications JBA makes a special heat resistant plug wire. Seems like the wires are far enough away and I've never heard of anyone having a problem with them. Also, from the tundra postings, the gasket choice seems to make a difference. I think most recommend the factory Toyota gaskets at the head. Not sure what was the best to run at the collector.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks RogueRider and Big-O...it seems like the jba sequoia headers are pretty problem-free. that's great news.
I think that I'm going to go with the combination that I like so much in my 4runner...ISR mod (basically a truflow intake tube), headers, and a magnaflow exhaust. I love that combo and it really brings the motors to life. the 2UZFE is a serious power plant compared to my 3VZE but they're both really nice. Looking forward to getting those headers in the sequoia (hopefully in January or so) and I'll post my report. I got the trueflow tube in already and it's running great. Thanks again guys!

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
That's pretty much what I'm running; True Flow Cold Air Intake, JBA ceramic headers, and a Magnaflow muffler. I agree the combo opens up the 2UZFE.

Enjoy the thrill the first time you fire it up!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We're definitely on the same page re: truflow, headers and magnaflow mufflers Roguerunner! Fantastic and you know what they say about great minds :) :) Hey...now that you mention it, I don't feel like buying the whole Magnaflow Exhaust kit; I just want to bolt-on a magnaflow muffler in the stock exhaust. Do you have a sense of what the tube diameter size is in the stock exhaust? I think it's a 2 in, 1 out configuration. I'm not sure what length or diameter would be required to be a simple cut and install drop-in. Thanks for any advice and especially a Magnaflow part #!

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
I have a 2001 sequoia not sure if its the same as yours. The Magnaflow muffler is 5" X 8" X 18" oval body (24" to pipe ends). 2.5" duel to 3" Single. I can't see a part number on it. Measure your stock muffler then consult the Magnaflow catalog on line http://images.magnaflow.com/02catalog_pdf/PerformanceExhaustGuide_2010.pdf. I think they have larger ones that will be closer to stock size and be more quiet but, since the stock muffler is huge I don't think you'll find one that will "bolt-in" without adding pipe and changing bends. I had mine installed at a muffler shop where they added pipe and made the bends to match up with the stock pipe diameters. My goal was to get the muffler and pipes above the frame. I bashed the stock muffler a few times while off roading. I also removed the resonator.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone have any sound or video clips of what this combo sounds like on the 4.7? I am thinking about doing the same thing to my 01 Sequoia and would like to hear someones if so.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
A lot of the sound clips I've heard don't have the greatest audio recording...and you might have better luck searching for tundra header sound clips if no one has one here in the Sequoia forum.

·
Registered
33 Posts
A lot of the sound clips I've heard don't have the greatest audio recording...and you might have better luck searching for tundra header sound clips if no one has one here in the Sequoia forum.
I think I'll try to make a new video soon..

·
Registered
455 Posts
I have the JBA Headers and The Borla Dual set up on my Seq. and it sounds great.
No problems at all with the JBA Headers. I did a lot of research back when I was looking for which headers to buy.
SO GLAD I went the JBA road.
The Borla exhaust bolts right up too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts