Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, are there any legitimate and/or proven performance mods for the 5.7 yet? Last thing I want to do is dump money into something that won't work. So if anyone is aware of a good performance mod for the 5.7, then please let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I've heard of exhaust and intake parts out, I personally don't think they give much power increase for the price they cost though. You're better off waiting on something that can reprogram the Tundra ECU, either that or wait for the "trd supercharger" that I hear about. I hope they don't drag thier feet this time.

·
Banned
888 Posts
Nope not yet :cry:
They have a few people getting their butt dyno tickled,but as of late nothing is putting anymore ponies in the pasture.Theres alot of hype over the TRD Blower due out late 07 but who knows. :rolleyes:
Personally I wouldnt mind seeing a Turbo or even a new reverse turbo system for this DOHC platform.I think it would be a great pairing ;)

·
Registered
440 Posts
Personally I wouldnt mind seeing a Turbo or even a new reverse turbo system for this DOHC platform.I think it would be a great pairing ;)

That would be very very cool.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Personally I wouldnt mind seeing a Turbo or even a new reverse turbo system for this DOHC platform.
Reverse turbo? I've never heard of that one. What does it do, suck the exhaust gases out of the cylinders instead of using the spent gases?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Reverse turbo? I've never heard of that one. What does it do, suck the exhaust gases out of the cylinders instead of using the spent gases?
Common, everyone knows that a reverse turbo only works when you are in reverse gear. It's for when you want to back up very very fast.

·
Tire Roasting Member
927 Posts
Intake, Exhaust and a Dyno tune could net up to 30 WHP if done properly. I'm waiting for another member here to dyno an intake and compare to stock (or stock with exhaust) to see the gains -- I don't imagine its going to make huge power but I'll be interested to see.

I agree with what everyone else is saying; if TRD is serious about the blower for the 5.7 that is probably your best bet. I'm looking for 500 HP:devil:

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
OK, are there any legitimate and/or proven performance mods for the 5.7 yet? Last thing I want to do is dump money into something that won't work. So if anyone is aware of a good performance mod for the 5.7, then please let me know. Thanks.
I checked with Uni-chip and they have a hard wire cpu upgrade at a local certified dyno. Cost $$$$$$ or wait till the plug-and-play is available at the end of the year.:cry: :(

·
Registered
64 Posts
Common, everyone knows that a reverse turbo only works when you are in reverse gear. It's for when you want to back up very very fast.

Sounds logical to me. :D

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I checked with Uni-chip and they have a hard wire cpu upgrade at a local certified dyno. Cost $$$$$$ or wait till the plug-and-play is available at the end of the year.:cry: :(

So Uni-Chip is making a plug and play for the 5.7 huh? Any idea what this will cost or where I can read up on it? Thanks.

·
Tire Roasting Member
927 Posts
So Uni-Chip is making a plug and play for the 5.7 huh? Any idea what this will cost or where I can read up on it? Thanks.
If their past products for new vehicles are any indication, be prepared to pay around $900 for less than 10 WHP...

I almost bought a Unichip for my 4Runner before I realized that I could do the same thing with a generic "piggyback" and custom fuel map tune on a dyno. Unichips are WORTHLESS without a dyno tune because their "maps" aren't specific to your vehicle (mods and sensors), location or driving style.

I've mentioned more about custom tuning fuel maps in my air filter thread. I may or may not do the same thing to the Tundra, I'm waiting to see how much power a CAI makes before deciding. :tu: :)

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Had a friend at the stealership call uni-chip. All they could tell me is a plug and play by the end of the year. Spoke with a local hot wire dyno shop and they quoted me around $600-800.:cry:

·
Registered
595 Posts

Is there such a thing as a reverse turbo or have I been taken on a snipe hunt? :ts:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Thundera, 30 WHP? You really think thats possible from intake, exhaust, and tune? I really don't see how on the 5.7. maybe 15 tops. But it would be great if so. Only thing is that the truck getting these mods would have to get dynoed completely stock first. Then dynoed again after the mods on the SAME dyno to prove any acurate gains. Is your guy doing this?

·
Deliciously Blunt
5,667 Posts
Is there such a thing as a reverse turbo or have I been taken on a snipe hunt? :ts:
No, no snipe hunt at all...I installed one on my tacoma....I also have carbon fiber muffler bearings, and dual inverted carb, 360 degree tracking gling rods, and I have also added laney grometts to all 7 cylinders.

:D :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
No, no snipe hunt at all...I installed one on my tacoma....I also have carbon fiber muffler bearings, and dual inverted carb, 360 degree tracking gling rods, and I have also added laney grometts to all 7 cylinders.

:D :D
actually it is real. Look up STS turbos. They make remote mount systems. They mount under the back of the cab or the bed.

Let me refrase that, not sure if a remote mount is considered a reverse turbo by some.

Squires Turbo Systems - Squires Turbo Systems(tm) - Performance made easy!

·
Banned
888 Posts
Yes they are in fact referred to as Reverse Turbos by some.(Sorry for the typo above ;) )
This setup is to freaking simple to believe and yet proven as claimed for sound performance.

All the spool-up haters(turbo-lag) please dont bother trolling this issue. In a Tundra platform you'll be grateful it doesnt all hit at once. Pickups dont respond well to power adders unless some pimary traction issues are addressed prior to boost build ups.

So all the TRD fans best consider cost effective verses label trendy.
These turbo setups will smoke anything TRD will offer the public.Even with add-ons like injectors upgrades and tuneing,labor etc.,one would still be WELL UNDER the projected $7K for the TRD Blower.

DOHC motors and Turbos have alot in common,both pull steady up thru the RPMs without dropping ponies out/off at peak levels.
Plenty more but ........:tu:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts