Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to have my rear bearings replaced and I am on the road so I had to pay a Toyota shop to diagnose it and guess what they diagnosed, I need my rear bearings replaced and they told me I need to replace my front ball joints too! I am sitting in a hotel room and feeling the pain because they have to order them and it will take one day to get them and hopefully put them on the next day. I said no way on my lower ball joints, I replaced them just under 30K ago and can't believe they need replacing. I originally replaced them around 130K with OEM parts and now with under 30K they say they need replacing again. I see some RAYBESTOS Part # 5051299 Professional Grade, are they any better? What about the MOOG Part # K90263 Cost isn't an issue, I just want some quality parts.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
I had my upper and lower ball joints replaced a couple of months ago with MOOG. The OEM boots were cracked and leaking. Too early to tell how well they'll hold up. The uppers have grease fittings, but I haven't figured out how to grease the lowers yet. I'll have to examine them a little closer I guess.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I believe Toyota uses MOOG parts in Tundra front ends. I think the great ball joint recall from a couple of years ago was traced back to parts of MOOG mfg built not to Toyota spec.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I would think a set of ball joints would make it past 30K miles but those lousy steering rack bushings are probably part of your issue if you have not had them replaced with Poly ones yet! i just installed a set on my truck and it's really helped tighten up the steering! My alignment Tech told me and even showed me by running the steering thru with truck on a lift and the movement was HUGE on the bushings! I had known about this issue long before but was just not aware how important it was to get this slop out of the front end, the Alignment tech said basically that this issue was the cause of my tire wear and that the alignment could not be properly done and expected to stay within limits without changing these bushings! I have ruined a set of Michelin LTXAT2's in less than 7K miles because of this issue with sloppy steering and misalignment due to this slop! They will not even dynamically balance within limits with only 7K on them and vibration is very noticeable! I will run them till i can't stand it anymore and unsure if i will go with Michelin's again or maybe try another brand of tire! Good Luck with your on the road fix!:tu:

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I put the poly bushings on when they first came out so that is not an issue. My steering is bullet straight and wonder if there was an attempt to bill me out of more money. Changing the ball joints for me is just a few hours of my time and very easy. I originally changed the joints at 130K for piece of mind and never had someone tell me they needed to be changed. Is there a easy way to check them myself?

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Have you had an Alignment during that 30K since replacing the lowers? if not i would get an alignment since they should be done once a year or at least every 12 to 15K miles! They can tell you if the ball joints are worn and it's basically using a pry bar and trying to see if it has play in it but not exactly sure how it's done and where it's done at or how much play is go or no go? Any alignment Tech should know! I think they are blowing smoke and probably would want a second professional opinion myself!

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rock Auto also has ACDELCO ball joints that have lifetime warrantee. They are made in the US but I don't have any knowledge of their quality etc. Any thoughts?. ACDELCO Part # 45D2299 {#89050156}
JOINT,FRT LEFT LWR CONT ARM BALL -; LEFT HAND

·
Registered
118 Posts
used ac delco on mine for both side uppers. Been about 10k miles and still tight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts