Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Tundra (crewmax) will be the first full size pickup for me. I have previously owned an MDX so mid size vehicles have been part of the family for quite some time. My concern is that the Tundra will be very difficult to park at shopping malls, downtown and city streets.

How are you guys (and gals if any) finding driving the Tundra around in the city? Are parking lots and parkades often problematic? I will be getting the reverse camera and sonar which will hopefully assist in parking in the tighter areas

I would appreciate any comments from Urban dwellers.....if the rural guys want to chime in, that would be fine as well.....

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
This big truck does not manuever like a big truck. I find it very easy to park in any situation. I do have sonar and dvd nav and it helps. I can back into a space, on the first shot, everytime, using only the mirrors, but I have been driving trucks for a while. Go do some practicing, after all if you are anything like me, I will use any excuse to go drive it some more.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I drive a full size Ram in an urban area. I would have purchased a MegaCab were it not for the length and poor turning radius of that kind of rig. It's always a good habit to back into a space. Once you start doing that on a regular basis it gets pretty easy. It's much safer because you won't be backing out blind when you are leaving when there could be a child behind your tailgate.

I have had problems, though, with car lots. People often don't leave enough room in corners and I have ended up scraping my truck in a parking lot that was empty when I got there and packed when I left and some idiot decides that his car can be parked in a non-space leaving plenty of room for cars to squeeze by.

I love the turning radius of the new Tundra which is supposed to be superb.

·
Registered
161 Posts
hello, i have the nav- monitor camera ( i assume the stand alone is the same) and with it you can see around corners. if parked next to another large vehicle you can see up the lane with the camera a few spaces. i park in one of those one way angled parking spots 5 days a week and because its angled i can see about 10-12 spaces up. no more inching out with my fingers crossed.

·
Tire Roasting Member
927 Posts
I live in downtown Denver and park the truck in an underground garage where I live. In my 4Runner backing in was easy. Before I got the Tundra I wasn't so sure it would fit in the garage or even my parking space. I tested the area with my work truck ('07 F-150) and I was able to fit it no problem. I can still pull up and back in all in one maneuver, without having to pull forward a second time, but it takes a little more finesse than in the 4Runner.

As far as finding parking around the city, whether it be in lots or on the street is a breeze with the backup camera and sonar. That backup camera is solid gold while backing into any parking spot. The only thing that bothers me is that the sonar is tuned way too conservatively (meaning the tone goes solid when the area in question is still over a foot away from the obstacle). That and there are only 3 stages of tones instead of getting continuously faster the closer you get to an object. Oh well though, I find I don't use the sonar when backing up. I trust the camera and mirrors more :D :tu:

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so far it seems the consensus is that parking is no big deal and having the rear camera is helpful....thats encouraging, i suspect i will have to be pickier when choosing parking spots but sometimes you really have no choice....

Thanks for all the comments...

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
It is way easier that the F250 CC I used to have. Stat Coder has the right idea. Either pull through or back in so you won't be trapped in your spot. I have no backup camera, sonar, or other accessories. Just a 2" ball on a drop down hitch. :devil: I am the kind of person who parks far from the store entrance so retards won't door ding my truck. Plus let's not forget the folks who just leave the buggy where they unloaded it and drive away. Logic suggests if they are too lazy to return the buggy, they are too lazy to park far from the front door.

Off the subject: I am considering a logging chain attached to my hitch and dragging the non handicapped cars, in the handicapped spaces, into the ditch.:devil: These folks need a good old fashoned A$$ Whoopin' but I think less misfortune will come to me for dragging their car than physical assault.:D

·
Registered
877 Posts
mall parking no problem, i like to walk, so i park away from the doordingers and where space is plenty.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Right on Firecrew07. Even though this truck parks very easily I choose to park FAR away from everybody to avoid dents in my new truck, people have no respect for other peoples properity.

·
Registered
621 Posts
We only drive ours around in Fairbanks for the most part. The Tundra has a much better turning radius than my 92 Extended Cab truck did. We drive on snow and ice about 7 months of the year. Mrs. Torch loves to drive the Tundra around on the weekend shopping. We also park away from other people. We have always done that with our vehicles. Most people need the exercise anyway. I like driving the truck back and forth to use our airplane. It hauls my flying stuff. Most pilots have lots of stuff in the back seat. I do.

·
Registered
41 Posts
It is way easier that the F250 CC I used to have. Stat Coder has the right idea. Either pull through or back in so you won't be trapped in your spot. I have no backup camera, sonar, or other accessories. Just a 2" ball on a drop down hitch. :devil: I am the kind of person who parks far from the store entrance so retards won't door ding my truck. Plus let's not forget the folks who just leave the buggy where they unloaded it and drive away. Logic suggests if they are too lazy to return the buggy, they are too lazy to park far from the front door.

Off the subject: I am considering a logging chain attached to my hitch and dragging the non handicapped cars, in the handicapped spaces, into the ditch.:devil: These folks need a good old fashoned A$$ Whoopin' but I think less misfortune will come to me for dragging their car than physical assault.:D
I'm with you on the off subject topic Tx. Been tempted to remove valve stem cores whenever I see these clowns. But, in another light, maybe their mentally handicapped and are so stupid they forgot their tag:devil:

I find the Tundra parks super easy and is very nimble in tight quarters. My only beef is a repeat of someone else's that the rear sonar goes to solid tone when still 4-5 feet away from the object your approaching. Too sensitive in my opinion.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts