Toyota Tundra Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a 4.7L 2005 Tundra with 110k miles. Here is my P2445 story.

My Tundra has always had a fast start up idle. I live in NH so we have some very cold winter mornings. I started getting the P2445 (valve - Secondary Air Injection) code this December. It would kick in 95% of the time on cold days and also on a couple of rare occasions while driving on the highway. It came on almost daily. What was noticeable was a new whooshing sound as start up. The additional issue with P2445 is that the truck went into limp mode b/c of the code. Limp mode protects the engine by reducing power, which was noticeably reduced when going up hills or at high speeds. Clearing the code with my code reader eliminated limp mode - a quick temporary solution that got old fast.

I did some research with regard to vacuum leaks and pursued anything that would involve NOT replacing the secondary air injection pump. No luck. I knew the pump was $1,200 or so and installation was about $450. Ugh! Just for a feature used on cold mornings. I have some skills, but was not up for getting down into the manifold. Too much for me.

I finally took it on the chin and brought it in for repair. I approved my mechanic getting down to the manifold and seeing/testing what is up. I've got a great mechanic and he confirmed the pump was bad and believe it or not, mice had gotten into the manifold (the previous owner had the truck on a farm!). I accepted my fate and asked him to pause so I could try and find the Secondary Air Injection Pump on the used market. I called about 20 yards and found one for $400+. I feared I would be getting a previously removed one as it seems this is not an uncommon issue especially w/Gen2 Tundras 2007- (some use same pump). I searched for new part and through a discount Toyota dealership found a new part (17610-0C010) shipped for $862 from toyotapart.com. I bought new.

My mechanic installed it. Cost was just over $400 labor plus a couple of gaskets. The pump is a huge rip off. It is very insubstantial and cannot even imagine how it could cost $1,000. It looks like a $100 part (whatever a $100 parts looks like).

In the end - it is fixed. No more error code - no more limp mode. Startup is better. Winter is long! I had to do it.

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,556 Posts
Did you know that this "pump" is the same as that used other vehicles, GM coming to mind. You can also find them on eBay for about $30 each. Search through the 2-Gen Tundra forum. It is covered in detail.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
But the problem is for a 1st gen tundra. I just had the same thing happen at 109k miles. I replaced the air injection control driver which was fairly easy. Now im only getting the p0418 code and not the 2445.

So are you say that this pump is the same in gen 1 and gen 2 tundras?

·
Registered
1 Posts
We were experiencing power loss on the freeway above 50mph in a 05 Tundra DC 4.7L. Vehicle is out of warranty at around 60k, so factory repair at no charge does not appear to be an option.

I obained and OBD II code reader and got codes P2445 and P0418.

Apparently P2445 means "Secondary Air Injection System Switching Valve Stuck Closed Bank 1"

P0418 means "Secondary Air Injection System Relay A Control Circuit".

I did some research in my haynes manual, and although it does give a brief overview of how the system works and shows how to remove each component of the system, it does not tell me the correct procedure for troubleshooting or testing the system.

Based on the symptoms I am experiencing (and if anyone experienced a similar problem), is there a quick and most likely fix?

I read that there may be a TSB on this particular issue but I was unable to find it.

If anyone has the has the proper troubleshooting or diagnostic proceedure for this system, it would be greatly appreciated! If that is not availiable, could someone at least tell me which manuals may have this proceedure and how much they cost? I'm assuming the factory one must.

I am also curious as to how the failure of the air injection system causes hesitation above 50mph. Does this mean the cats are not heated up enough and that is what causes the hesitation? Or does it mean the cats are permanently clogged and will stay clogged even if the air injection system is fixed?

Thanks in advance.
Hello,
Can anybody help me.

2012 Tundra 5.7 engine check light is on, error code is P0418 but truck runs like a champ.

thanks

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
I have a 2012 as well and shortly after purchase there was a recall to have the ecu reflashed which I believe cycles the air pumps each time the truck is shut off. You might want to stop by your local dealer and find out if this was supposed to be done. Given your truck is only 5 years old you might be able to push for some kind of warranty on this given this air pumps are part of the emissions system.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2006 tundra Dc and just threw the p2445 code. When I disconnect/reconnect the battery it goes away and the truck runs fine. When I disconnected the programmer after testing the codes it deactivated the check engine light and brought the issue back. So I disconnected/reconnected the battery and now it runs fine again. Could this just be a sensor since it does go away after the battery power loss? If it's more than that, do I just replace the air pump?
Another thing. I was looking up on a website and it said it could be a bad fuse or fuses but doesn't say what fuse(s) to look at. If anyone could help me there that would be great.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Try replacing the fuse this person in the video did. It's bolted down in the fuse box:
06 Toyota Tundra p2440 and p0418
Hey guys so my 1st post. Trying to figure out how to get this code fixed... I am getting both p2445 and P0418. I got no problems replacing the air injection pump if necessary..I see a few ones on ebay for $50-100 bucks. I can get it replaced. My questions is if that is the only component I need to replace or need to look at replacing the other SAI components as well like the Air valve that connects to it?.. if I look at the FSM I see 3 more components. Which is why I am asking. I can replace them all. but dont want to overspend/over do if I only need to replace only one part.

I will also make sure the fuse is working as shown in the video. Thanks for your help.

+ looks like the is a Air injection control driver component as well..shoot this stuff is complicated..

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is in fact a TSB on this issue for you truck TSB# EG027-07 (see below)

looks like your out of warranty, ill try to find the repair for it.

ENGINE
EG027-07
Title:
M.I.L. "ON" DTC P0418 AND/OR P2445
Models:
'05 - '07 Sequoia & '05 - '06 Tundra (2UZ-FE)
May 15, 2007

Introduction

Some 2005 - 2007 model year Sequoia and 2005 - 2006 model year Tundra vehicles may exhibit a M.l.L. ON" with DTC P0418 and/or P2445. This may be caused by the air injection control driver. Please use the following repair procedure to address the customer's concern.

Applicable Vehicles
2005 - 2007 model year Sequoia vehicles produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VINs shown below.
2005 - 2006 model year Tundra vehicles equipped with the 2UZ-FE engine.

Warranty Information
This repair is covered under the Toyota Federal Emission Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 36 months or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle's in-service date.

This repair is covered under the California Emission Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 36 months or 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle's in-service date.

Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer's specific complaint.
Can you tell me where the air injection control driver is located?

21 - 29 of 29 Posts