Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am returning from a 1 year deployment to Afghanistan and will be taking my 06 Tacoma out of storage. Prior to my deployment I disconnected the negative battery cable, filled the gas tank and added fuel stabilizer, put desecant bags in the interior, and parked the wheels on carpet inside a garage. Is there anything I should do prior to starting my truck for the first time? I've got 40,000 miles on it, and I wouldnt want to do any harm starting it after sitting for a year. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Nate

·
Registered
898 Posts
I'd put a charger on the battery ... even though it was disconnected, it's charge level will be down after sitting that long. I'd change the oil/filter shortly after getting it started up and a short drive to get it fully hot. Otherwise, it sounds like it should fire up with no problems. I'd probably run some good fuel injector cleaner also to ensure the injectors get cleaned up after sitting so long.

·
Forum Admin
8,277 Posts
^^^ I agree with that. From reading your post, it sounds like you covered the basics of vehicle storage. While the engine is cold, inspect all of your fluid levels: oil, rad, brake, ps. You may want to bleed the brakes.

·
Registered
252 Posts
ok i am old school ( days of the distributor cap)

but see if you can find a easy way to not have the engine start, then crank it over a bit to get oil where it belongs. don't really want the engine to put a load on crank/rod bearings so you need to get the oil path with oil in it

after a year even staybilt isn't going to help the gas so try and add fresh gas asap

and welcome back !!!!!

·
Registered
1,903 Posts

I had stored 2 trucks for a year and when the guys returned ....

All they did was 1/2 can of Seafoam in each truck gas tank and charge the battery on one and replace the other battery and both started up with no problems.

I was amazed that there were no problems with the 5 year and 3 year old trucks parked for a year with no start ups.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts