Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious to see if there is anything out there right now that is a real alternative to the Unichip. I know a lot of talk has gone on about Diablo and BullyDog, but wanted to see if anything has actually come out yet or not... a Unichip for $600 just seems too much for something that quite a few people here seem to have had difficulties with.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I wouldn't hold your breath. Initially it seemed that Diablo was going to attack the Tundra market at full speed, however I think the daunting task of cracking Toyota's ECM has slowed, if not scrapped the entire project. Updates have been very sparse with absolutely no information on progress (if any) being released. By the time they come out with a tuner for the 5.7, we'll already have an iForce 6.0 to have fun with.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's too bad... I was hoping that there would be some kind of alternative to the UniChip...

·
...Raptor Slayer...
2,233 Posts
Listen bully dog has one they are testing on a tundra as we speak....same with diablo...but from bully dog they said beacause of the rolling code in the trucks they want to make sure it withstands the programmer over time with no issues so the development stage is done but testing could take a year if not more

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Listen bully dog has one they are testing on a tundra as we speak....same with diablo...but from bully dog they said beacause of the rolling code in the trucks they want to make sure it withstands the programmer over time with no issues so the development stage is done but testing could take a year if not more
Thanks for the info; not questioning their tactics, but geez... this truck has been out for 3 years now. I would have thought it would only take a few months from the start of this thing. I can't believe its taking this long, but hey, at least I wasn't waiting for one of these things when I first got my truck! lol

·
Registered
69 Posts
Unichip is unsafe. Mine has gone out twice now on the freeway...having to coast to a stop and get to the shoulder without getting killed both times. Lucky it restarted, but ran like crap until I yanked it out. I gave them a second chance when they fixed it and I re-routed to inside the vehicle, but know I'm done with it.

·
...Raptor Slayer...
2,233 Posts
Thanks for the info; not questioning their tactics, but geez... this truck has been out for 3 years now. I would have thought it would only take a few months from the start of this thing. I can't believe its taking this long, but hey, at least I wasn't waiting for one of these things when I first got my truck! lol
the issue is not so much the years of the truck and different codes...like i said it sucks because its a rolling code...everytime the key is turned it throws different combo to the code meaning that it has a code bank in the ecu itself that just cycles....unichip bypassed that by fooling the ecu however not very many gains from that...bullydog is aiming for the GT tunder for tundras so that it will be able to use the stock settings if desired or sport, towing and extreme, but also the crazy larry mode...now this tuner will work with the supercharger as well of course with different gains supercharged vs unsupercharged you get the drift etc etc...so that product is working with the ecu and changing modes.... not bypassing it all together...the gains they are looking at are about 27-39HP tru gains and 35-50tq now thats on an average of the gains they have on the titan, chevy, ford, dodge (gas application GT Tuner) the price is probably going to be around $450 with the screen module but like they told me dont hold your breath youll know when it comes out cause it will be advertised EVERYWHERE....hope that helps as well...sorry this paragraph looks like mumbo jumbo im just to lazy for periods and whatever else i missed

·
Registered
819 Posts
$450 would not be a bad price at all. We will see what happens. I really want one of these tuners.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Remember when you were in 9th grade and you saw Betty-Sue (or insert some other chicks name...) at the Homecoming dance... and you thought, man, I wish I could tap that! And then, Betty-Sue came over, looked deep in your eyes, and said "Is your buddy HEMI here, cause that code's easy and I have something for him.." you get the point. Pipe-dreams. Unanswered prayers.... etc etc etc

Aristotle once said "Youth is easily deceived because it is quick to hope"

·
Registered
112 Posts
basically what i said dont hold your breath for it when it comes it comes and we will all know
Yea but popo made it into a story. LOL

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have my the URD maf translater installed on my truck right now...have not had the time & effort to change the map (from stock) in it yet. Now that my cummins is sold and my fence is mostly finished I can spend some time on the truck. I will probably be willing to share my maps once I get something decent going with it. I have some experience tuning with a scantool and wideband so it should turn out alright as I have the right road tuning tools and some background. I'm not expecting more than a 5-10% power gain and hopefully to get back the 1-1.5 mpg that my longtubes stole. I'll keep everyone informed as I progress. My unichip is going on ebay soon (with some cummins programmers) unless someone here wants it for $400 shipped.

Mike

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have my the URD maf translater installed on my truck right now...have not had the time & effort to change the map (from stock) in it yet. Now that my cummins is sold and my fence is mostly finished I can spend some time on the truck. I will probably be willing to share my maps once I get something decent going with it. I have some experience tuning with a scantool and wideband so it should turn out alright as I have the right road tuning tools and some background. I'm not expecting more than a 5-10% power gain and hopefully to get back the 1-1.5 mpg that my longtubes stole. I'll keep everyone informed as I progress. My unichip is going on ebay soon (with some cummins programmers) unless someone here wants it for $400 shipped.

Mike
interested in unichip. pm sent.

thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts