Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I changed the timing belt, water pump, pulleys, serpentine, etc last week I've had a strange clicking/ticking noise on cold starts only. It's really loud and will last for maybe a minute max and then completely disappears, only when the truck's completely cold. It appears to be coming from either the PCS steering pump, or alternator (factory original - 93k mi). I took the tension off the serpentine belt the other night to spin the steering pump by hand and everything felt smooth and tight, didn't check the alternator at the time because I thought for sure it was the pump was dying on me. The steering is working fine and the voltage off the alternator is as usual.

The only thing that happened during the timing belt change was the alternator rolling back from where I had it sitting and landing on my tie rod/drag link, but it's not like it fell three feet and landed on concrete. I can't imagine that had anything to do with it, unless there was something already cracked and that little bump finished it off.

Was wondering if anybody has ever had (or heard of) a Toyota alternator losing a bearing/bushing? The noise it definitely taking place during rotation of some assembly and it's timed like it's happening in one spot during rotation.....if that makes any sense at all..............and it's not like something hitting, it's definitely mechanical and coming from the alternator/pump area.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So........since nobody here's ever had or heard of an alternator failing on a 1st Gen Tundra (including all the service techs on this board).........I guessing I can go ahead and rule that out as even a possibility :rolleyes:.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, if you need 1, see if you could put a higher amp 1 in.
if you have a 100amp, ask toyota if your 4.7l V8 will fit the 130amp.
if it does, than a 150amp will also fit.
and make sure all the cennections & pully width, is the same.

see what guage wire you have. if it's 4guage you will be fine.
on my 05, i had a mech put in a 150amp sequoia alt.
oem from the dealership is approx. $700.

you can buy a used 1, from LKQ on line salvage.
even whatever amp's you have.
LKQ give's a 6month warrenty.
i bet the alt, & shipping to your home for less than 100.
even for the 150amp alt.
just something to think about if you need a alt.
same if you have a V6. not sure what amp's, maybe 80 ,100?
you still might be able to increase the amps.
just try to find out if it is the same. & will mount the same.
before you buy it.
good luck,
gorilla

·
Registered
917 Posts
I have been on here since 02 and I dont remember one going out. I know a lot of guys switched out for the 130 amp version. Clicking/ticking sounds more like a lack of lube issue. You can use a long piece of one inch dowel as a stethoscope. Place one end on the pump the other up to your ear then move it to other components. The noise will be a lot louder when you find the source.

·
Supportive Supporter
1,141 Posts
Take a look at your serp belt tensioner.....mine had a bearing dry out on it and it would only squeal on very cold mornig start ups. Pull the serp belt off and spin and flex it. It was pretty obvious on mine.
On mine I pulled the seal off and repacked the bearing as best I could.....it really needs to have a new bearing or a new tensioner assy installed....I'll get to it, someday. :beatsme:

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
^^^+1^^^
My tensioner is starting to make noise for 10-20 sec. on cold mornings. You can verify your alt. output with a multimeter.

·
Registered
917 Posts
^^^+1^^^
My tensioner is starting to make noise for 10-20 sec. on cold mornings. You can verify your alt. output with a multimeter.
Ok... How would that tell you if you have a bearing that is making noise? Just because you have a bearing growling doesnt mean that it is going to be making low output. Hell he is probably right someone give him a rep point. :beatsme:

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Ok... How would that tell you if you have a bearing that is making noise? Just because you have a bearing growling doesnt mean that it is going to be making low output. Hell he is probably right someone give him a rep point. :beatsme:
First of all, as you said, I haven't seen anyone on here with alt failures. I have seen several tensioner complaints. As a matter of fact, my tensioner is starting to make noise. Seems like something that should be ruled out, don't you think?

Now, the thread title is "Anybody Had An Alternator Fail?" The OP states "The only thing that happened during the timing belt change was the alternator rolling back from where I had it sitting and landing on my tie rod/drag link, but it's not like it fell three feet and landed on concrete. I can't imagine that had anything to do with it, unless there was something already cracked and that little bump finished it off." Now, if I were concerned that something may have broken internally, I would verify the output voltage. But hey, what do I know, I have too many rep points.:chillpill: ;)

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I mentioned the voltage output is spot on (per my scan gauge) 13.8V-14.0V with the head lights off.

The tensioner is a brand new Toyota tensioner from Sparks, but I suppose it could still be bad from the factory.

I pulled the belt again and the best I can tell the noise is coming from the steering pump. Both the alternator and steering pump spin smooth and free and neither really have any shaft play in them.

I am thinking that since the new tensioner applies more belt tension than my worn out original, it may be just helping me realize a pre-existing condition with the steering pump that I wasn't aware of.

I'm going to run it a little longer since I carry a spare 130 amp alternator and new PSC pump with me and have a 3-day wheeling/camping trip starting in a few hours today......

When I get home I'll pull the belt again and rule out the tensioner also. It's an very intermittent problem right now so I can't seem to replicate it by hand. It really only happens in the mornings now if the temperature has been low over night. Now that it's in the 70's during the day, it quit doing it when I'm leaving work.........guess it will just go completely away in a few more weeks and I'll have about 6 months before it comes back :)! I need to also try the dowel technique on the pump.

I appreciate everyone's input and I'll update this thread as soon as I chase down the problem for good :)!

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I got bored while being trapped at the house all weekend during our little flood and decided to pull the steering pump off and throw my spare on......and the mysterious noise went away.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts