Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck isn't long travel, so I shouldn't do this, but in my local field I have caught air a few times. I had an old toyota pick up before this truck that I was ready to jump at any time, nothing crazy but leaving the ground is leaving the ground. With my Tundra it feels more stable but something I forgot about is that floating feeling. If you've been there chime in! I was noticing my cell phone(in cup holder), my remote for my Alpine(on the arm rest), my knife and breaker bar(on the passenger side floor) float momentarily while I fought gravity. This is followed by the jolt of bottoming out which I don't recommend. Like I said, I shouldn't do this and I'm not launching it. My truck is my daily driver!:crazy3d:

It's a funny feeling, have you had it? :cool:

Disclaimer: This is in no way asking you to jump your truck just to fit in! Jumping trucks is dangerous and can cause bodily harm and even death. So many parts can give out, everything form wheel studs to spindles. Please don't go do it, if you already have then chime in.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Sounds like a slippery slope to me ....

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I know the feeling quite well. There's a dirt road that cuts across the west end of our farm with a steep hill on it. If you hit it going 60-70 mph it seems like you're floating for several seconds. It's more of a tabletop jump so the suspension doesn't bottom out, just a smooth landing.

·
Registered
756 Posts
My first car was a 77 ltd 2 door, 351m c-4 tranny. There were 2 spots that were perfect if conditions were right, I now understand this is never ok, I was 16 then. That thing would sail, until it came down and then OH MY GOD, sparks would fly, that thing would bottom out so bad. like I said I was 16 and didn't fully understand what was actually going on then. I remember my mullet flying behind me like the dogs ears in the grinch who stole christmas.....lol..... I also remember driving my buddys regal and throwing it in reverse at 30 mph. He had no idea it was coming. I'm laughing with tears in my eyes right now remembering his face...:eek: It was sooo funny, we just spun around in the road but not before lighting them up for a good 20 feet. I would never think of doing anything like this now and all you kiddies out there don't try it either. cars today are much different, air bags and abs make it very dangerous and the cars were junk anyway, unlike my trusty Toyota. It was very stupid of me but funny as hell too.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Hey Tundrunk, word to the wise, DO NOT jump your truck w/a beer bottle in the cupholder cause there is the chance it'll come flying out and crack the windshield. I was with my buddy one time when he jumped his Taco and that's what happened. It was funny as hell at the time. I've been in vehicles numerous times airborn. Back in highschool a buddy lived in a not so populated town and there's not much to do so he had a friend w/an older Buick Skylark, if i'm not mistaken, that was brown and was refered to as the Flying Sh!t cause he'd jump it over anything. He was also a fan of neutral drops and jamming it in park at about 30mph. It lived for quite a while till they finally broke it.

You do gotta love the free floating feeling whether it be on dirtbikes, quads, ski's, or anything else that goes fast. It's when you don't want it to happen and it is that it's not so fun.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Hey Tundrunk, IIRC you are in the INLAND EMPIRE right? Have you ever been out to LYTLE CREEK road near GLEN HELEN REGIONAL PARK? There are whoop-di- doo's in that road that are HUGE! Years ago some friends and I jumped a first generation toyota van so high that we nosed over and landed on the roof! There were 6 of us in the van at the time and we all were so scared of being busted that we crawled out of the wreck, rolled it back right side up, and managed to drive it home.

Ahhhh...... those were the good old days.:D

·
Registered
566 Posts
I know exactly what you're talking about! Makes me wish my truck was long travel. :sad3d: You know tundrunk, those Deaver leaf springs help out a lot when you're jumping! :tu: Lol... I love the feeling, but one thing that scares me about jumping is my lower ball joints. Have you heard of anybody with lower ball joint binding with our style lifts??

·
Registered
640 Posts
I had a 67 bonniville 4 door ........I hit a railroad crossing at about 70 mph and did I ever go airborn.....when it did come down it blew out the shocks and messed the front all up........and that, with all the "fun" of tring to keep it out of the ditch afterwards......

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
I know exactly what you're talking about! Makes me wish my truck was long travel. :sad3d: You know tundrunk, those Deaver leaf springs help out a lot when you're jumping! :tu: Lol... I love the feeling, but one thing that scares me about jumping is my lower ball joints. Have you heard of anybody with lower ball joint binding with our style lifts??
Nah, the inner tie rod binds first. Once that's dealt with by mounting a clevis instead--LT only, or it messes up your toe change during the suspension cycle--it's the outer TRE that binds first :cool:.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Thanks for the info! I should be good because I don't think my tie rods are binding, but I'll still check later. One day I'll get long travel and do it the right way, but this lift will have to do until then...

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Tundrunk, IIRC you are in the INLAND EMPIRE right? Have you ever been out to LYTLE CREEK road near GLEN HELEN REGIONAL PARK? There are whoop-di- doo's in that road that are HUGE! Years ago some friends and I jumped a first generation toyota van so high that we nosed over and landed on the roof! There were 6 of us in the van at the time and we all were so scared of being busted that we crawled out of the wreck, rolled it back right side up, and managed to drive it home.

Ahhhh...... those were the good old days.:D
Ahhh yes, these are the stories I like to hear. I did the same in an S-10 when I was 19. 3AM walking home from Gratton hills(about 5 miles from anywhere). I have been to Lytle Creek, unfortunaltly not in my truck but in my old work van and yes, the tools were flying. Took about an hour to clean that mess.

Nah, the inner tie rod binds first. Once that's dealt with by mounting a clevis instead--LT only, or it messes up your toe change during the suspension cycle--it's the outer TRE that binds first :cool:.
You are saying if I changed my tie rod ends for heim joint style it would be bad? I thought about doing this because they appear a bit tweaked when I looked at them recently, kind of at a bad angle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts