Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is more of a curious question than any. Costco has a policy that they will not install any tire that is larger than OEM specs on OEM wheels. However, they're pretty mum on whether they would install larger tires on a new set of wheels. So, I'm just wondering if anybody has tried doing this and what was the result? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yes, larger tires (285/65R18) on stock rims. The tire guy said they have sold a bunch of these for the new Tundra.

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
I was told they won't go over 5% the OEM size...but, If I brought in just wheels, they'd sell, mount, and balance whatever size tires...just not mount them on the truck.

I went with Discount Tire after getting the Costco quote, Discount beat the price by 20% and would do whatever size I wanted.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Sorry I cant answer your question, but if you cant get the tires there you should check out tire rack. I recently purchased new tires for my tundra 305/65r18 and I also got new tires for the camry. Even with shipping tire rack beat all the other prices I found. I had one tire come in that was bad (took too much weight to balance) and they shipped me another tire out no questions asked. They are a great company and I would definitly recommend checking out there web site or maybe you guys have them locally.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses!! No question that places like Tire Rack and Discount Tire beat Costco's price... actually more importantly, they have a much better selection. But Costco does sell one tire I'm interested in and they're only real benefits are 1) included road-hazard warranty on all tires, and 2) life-time rotation/balancing on your tires. The road hazard warranty from other places is still good and generally not prohibitive, but most other places charge you for it AGAIN on the replacement tire. So, for example, if you blow a tire from some kind of pot-hole, and you take it to Costco, they measure the tread-depth and charge you "X" price for the tire based on that measurement. Other places do that but then re-charge you the hazard warranty (which is usually between $25 and $50 per tire depending on the cost of the tire you're getting) and shipping as well.
But curious that some places will install them and others not. I'm sure with new rims that they'll be more likely to do larger tires...

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
When I bought my BFG's for the Tundra the recommended installer was firestone so I went there. They installed no questions asked and I had them installed on stock TRD 18's which are a half inch too skinny.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Costco is smoking crack! How much money do you think they are losing?

·
Registered
173 Posts
I was told they won't go over 5% the OEM size...but, If I brought in just wheels, they'd sell, mount, and balance whatever size tires...just not mount them on the truck.

I went with Discount Tire after getting the Costco quote, Discount beat the price by 20% and would do whatever size I wanted.

This is what I have been told by costco as well. I used to go to costco all the time in last 20 years but found that they would tell me to wait 2-3 hrs for rotations and balancing before doing it. Recently I started going to discount tire and they beat costco price and I find rotations are done in 20 mins and they have better selection as well as are using nitrogen for air fill as well.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I'm looking into new tires right now and do not agree with some of these posts. Nobody is beating Costco's prices, not Discount nor TireRack (when you add in the shipping costs). Must depend on what tire you want but it doesn't look like an across the board thing. Take home is do your homework before ordering.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts

my dad ran into this sort of thing on his goldwing. apparently some of them have the bright idea of running a car tire on the rear wheel (he swears it handles fine...) and no one will mount it if they see its a motorcycle wheel. he had to tell discount it was for a homemade trailer.

and i found out for my boat trailer walmart wont even mount trailer tires....weird....

oh..back to topic.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is what I have been told by costco as well. I used to go to costco all the time in last 20 years but found that they would tell me to wait 2-3 hrs for rotations and balancing before doing it. Recently I started going to discount tire and they beat costco price and I find rotations are done in 20 mins and they have better selection as well as are using nitrogen for air fill as well.
Well, I don't know what to say, by the looks of it on the tires I'm considering, Costco is cheaper than both TR and DT after shipping and installation. They also use all-nitrogen and have lifetime balancing/rotation for free. Plus they don't re-charge you for the hazard warranty on the replacement tire if you accidentally pop a tire. The real issue for me right now is their limited selection. That may be a deal breaker...

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
Well, I don't know what to say, by the looks of it on the tires I'm considering, Costco is cheaper than both TR and DT after shipping and installation. They also use all-nitrogen and have lifetime balancing/rotation for free. Plus they don't re-charge you for the hazard warranty on the replacement tire if you accidentally pop a tire. The real issue for me right now is their limited selection. That may be a deal breaker...
any time ive dealt with discount tire they have matched competitors prices....also NTB matched tire racks pre ship price once for me....

but if u must have that nitrogen :rolleyes: go for it. bottom line is gots to do whats the cheapest for you. if it comes down to not putting them on the truck due to size just put the truck on jack stands and take the wheels as stated before. gotta do what u gotta do.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
any time ive dealt with discount tire they have matched competitors prices....also NTB matched tire racks pre ship price once for me....

but if u must have that nitrogen :rolleyes: go for it. bottom line is gots to do whats the cheapest for you. if it comes down to not putting them on the truck due to size just put the truck on jack stands and take the wheels as stated before. gotta do what u gotta do.
Sorry for the mis-understanding... I wasn't saying that I MUST have nitrogen (the air is already almost 80% nitrogen anyway, so no biggie to me), I was just pointing out that Costco uses it too.
I'll have to check on the price-match. That would be a good way to go if I can do it. Though, again, for me, it is just the brand...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts