Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody out there in tundra solutions land put a Vista brand camper shell on their 07-10 Tundra? If so, would love to see a pic or two of your rig and hear how the camper has been for you.

My bro has one on his 06 Tundra and likes it a lot - but I haven't been able to find much info about Vista campers on newer Tundras...

I think they are a pretty small brand but the quality seems good.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Unfortunately, I do not have pictures of the Vista shell that I HAD on my 2008 Tundra CrewMax. HAD is the operative word here. The local dealer, Canopy World, was simply outstanding - they did everything possible to fix the shell from leaking. Ultimately, they sent the shell back to the factory. I could not believe it - the shell leaked even worse after the factory had it for almost a month. Additionally, there were a few scratches that caused the factory to repaint the shell. I probably would not have noticed the scratches had they not done such a crappy job in the repaint job - including managing to spray the carpet liner that was on the inside of the shell. Ultimately, and fortunately, the local dealer took the shell back and applied the full cost, including tax, toward a replacement by another maker. I went with the Leer XL - which I felt was the next best option available to me in WA.
An additional note: I spent lots of time trying to seal the MANY other points in the bed of the truck where water entered. My queries to Toyota were of no help - they just blew off my three or four separate emails and telephone calls asking for help. Let me know if you want more info. Jim

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, that sounds pretty rough, Jim - thanks for the detailed account. Was water coming in the windows, through the back doors, etc.? Did they lay down the weather stripping along the top of the bed rails, where the shell rests on the bed? Maybe water was getting under the plastic bed rails, not sure if your truck has those...

How about the Leer XL - hows that one holding up in the rain and in all other ways? Seems like a few guys on these boards have had issues with the Leer paint color matching their Tundras, do you have anything like that going on? What color is your truck?

I had an ARE Z series on my 2000 Tundra and the color match, styling, fit and finish, etc. was very good. Only thing I didn't like about it was the little trim strip along the bottom edge of the shell, which I think is there to cover up where the fiberglass camper shell body attaches to a strip of aluminum.

Thanks much for the info!

·
Registered
2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4
8 Posts
This is a late comment to this thread. I have a 2002 access cab Tundra. I put on a Vista shell when I bought the truck in September 2001. It was less than $1500 back then including install and an optional fold down slider window. The shell looks fantastic. Way back when the truck was new I had a guy come up to me and ask "What kind of car is that?" I told him it was a Tundra and he said the shell made it look like an SUV. The workmanship was not the best but the price was half that of the Leers I looked at. The paint had runs in it and the headliner looked like they glued in a bunch of remnants. My shell never leaked water but it was not well sealed at the lift back and dirt and dust accumulate in the bed. Thank goodness I didn't get the carpet kit. I regularly have to get back there and hose out the bed. The paint started to peel about the 5 year mark and I got it repainted. The rubber window trim peeled off and flew down the road as did the slider lock. I've replaced the brake light and the rear window struts twice. For the price it has been a good shell. It has endured 205,000 miles. I've camped in it and hauled everything imaginable. I'm on here looking for info on shells for the 2011 crew cab I just got. I have had it a few days and already miss having a shell.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.