Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've driven a Tacoma with the 4 cyl, power seemed alright, the auto is terrible, well it's probably tuned for gas milage and not performance, it seemed like the motor would bog then like a second later it would downshift when you floored it, it was raining and I was driving on a curvy road and I put it in second and gunned it around a corner and got the back to slide out pretty good hahaha, this was a single cab non prerunner model, I think like a 2004

·
Registered
252 Posts
i drive the 4 cyl and find it does all i want it to do and more !
( i do have the reg cab)
have had about 1200 pounds in the bed and would still drive fine ( with auto trans)

now with the double cab, i don't know?

what are you going to use it for i think would be critical !!!!

hauling a load of firewood in the hills would be a strain!

i suggest you test drive one !!!
might work for you?

so many are hung up on v6 and performance

my first truck was a 74 toyota sr5 and had no troubles with it
i get 24 city/29 highway but i do not drive with a lead foot

·
Registered
252 Posts
well if just for transportation and trips to home depot i say
test drive one, you might like it ( i know you would like the millage ;-D)

NOTE: there was recall about the "unexpected acceleration BS"

they shorten the gas pedal so wrong carpets can't get stuck
AND
a reflash of the ECU and it is suppose to make the tranny work a bunch better
i have no trouble with my auto at all?

great gas millage is done at 2k shift point, but i do go higher to merge on the hiway

the 4 banger is a torque engine at low revs,ya you can wind it up a lot higher but i have not found the need yet

and

I put it in second and gunned it around a corner and got the back to slide out pretty good hahaha,

hey it is a freakiing truck !!!! how much weight do you think you have on the rear end !!! cleaver folks that drive in snow put about 180 pounds of sand in the bed over the rear axle and don't have that problem

might want to look at this post?
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/4-cylinder/127274-4-cylinder-auto-sufficient-power-double-cab.html
it is on another forum where if you don't have a v-6 and lift and big custom rims you have junk!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.